User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: building my first Quadcopter (few pictures)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

building my first Quadcopter (few pictures)

ever since the beginning of the year, i wanted a multi-rotor aircraft..

and now i'm finally able to build one! was fairly cheap compared to other places you could get them from, not that this one is particularly high tech..

received the package on friday afternoon and got straight into building it. hopefully finished soon.. also waiting to do some aerial footage!

here is all the parts: (X525 Quad frame and the electronics)

after some screwing, the motor mounts are in place:

these pieces are at the end of each leg and spring loaded.. very helpful for cushioning the landings

putting the frame together and placing the KK control board on

here i was struggling to find a way to put the power distributer and KK board on without taking too much space.
    finally jumbled up some left over pieces and managed to stack them:

mounting each motor and prop in place:

and what it looks like so far!

all that's left to do is solder the speed controller to the motors, upload firmware to the control board and fiddle around with the settings!

Once i brush up on my skills of controlling it, i'll be mounting a GoPro to do some aerial footage/photos!
    Life is short, Keep snapping!
    CC always welcome
    Nikon D5100 | Nikon D7100 | Bits and pieces. | Some glass here and there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good stuff Andrew. Looks like you are going to have a great deal of fun getting pics/video that others cant get.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Graeme,

hopefully i do! and try avoid crashes..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Andrew. Hobbyking? Cant wait to see some footage
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Andrew, Gunna be heaps of fun, Check this out , What you can do with a bit of experience : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cx-fGFgNkws And I want to see stuff like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=MhAMEmHbIMw
    Last edited by William; 22-07-2012 at 6:27pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    Looking good Andrew. Hobbyking? Cant wait to see some footage
    Sure is from hobbyking! can't wait myself! lol

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Looking good Andrew, Gunna be heaps of fun, Check this out , What you can do with a bit of experience : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cx-fGFgNkws And I want to stuff like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=MhAMEmHbIMw
    what a coincidence! those videos are the ones i've been watching ever since i was dreaming about it haha think i might need a bit more thrust on these motors to do some flips

now.. where'd i leave that soldering iron..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hobbyking are fantastic with the copycat products that they stock and I have never had a problem with my purchases Andrew.
    I would like to try their Trex heli as an intro into the world of helies.

I like the youtube links William

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for sure! great place to get all the RC gear, i always get my stuff from there.

i've only ever flown a 450 size helicopter about 2 times from a friend.. but still confident in the quad! hence the gyro's.. they should do the trick!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not fooling anyone, this is what you're trying to build: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU&feature=plcp

Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifor View Post
    You're not fooling anyone, this is what you're trying to build: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU&feature=plcp

so.. i can get this from hobbyking right? haha wow!! now that's what i call a quad! i think i'll stick to my GoPro for now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would luv to see the pictures from the Go Pro when done
    Always willing to Learn
    Canon 400D,5D MII Canon 70-200 f/2.8,Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8,Canon 24-104 f/4,Canon 17-40 f/4,Canon 15mm Fish Eye f/2.8,70-300 f/4,Speedlite 430ex & 580ex II,Canon 2x extender.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, i certainly will post some photos of that. at the moment the construction is on hold.. need to get some bullet connecters to solder the connections and various other hardware that i should have got. also got some other problems that need dealing with..

hopefully will be back on track soon!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so! it's been a while since i had any progress on this quad of mine.. after realising i forgot to order bullet connectors to connect the motors to the speed controller it all came to a halt. a while later they finally arrived in the mail!

i have soldiered and completed all the connections:

mounted all 4 and connected them to the 4 way power splitter

then got all the ESC's and attached it to the multicopter control board:

finally attach a receiver, bind it with the transmitter and tadaa it's done!

....or so i THOUGHT!
    after 2 days of testing and testing and more testing, i couldn't get the motors to start, even after calibration and flashing the board with the firmware, it still wouldn't budge to move after exiting the programming mode.
    so with process of elimination i eventually plugged the ESC straight into the throttle channel of the receiver, programed it, unplugged it and re-plugged it and what do you know.. it works.

so.. this can only mean a faulty board.. have emailed the place last night and is still awaiting a reply.. problem is i don't have anough time as i leave for switzerland next wednesday! not happy!
    it's been 2 months since i got it.. and was hoping to do some aerial shots within the first fortnight!