User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Rapid strap - more secure?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishographer View Post
    Thats precisely why I went for the Carryspeed instead of the BR.....the Carryspeed plate screws to the bottom of the camera body into the tripod mount hole very tightly and there are numerous extra threaded holes for any tripod mount plate to screw onto the outside of that....no need to purchase any extras.
    It seems that not everyone shares your enthusiasm for the CS product, Fisho. Does this look familiar or have CS already upgraded their product from this?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...5&changemode=1
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    It seems that not everyone shares your enthusiasm for the CS product, Fisho. Does this look familiar or have CS already upgraded their product from this?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...5&changemode=1
    One important point that comes to light out of this is about the cost of the equipment. I.e. why buy a $3000 camera and then skimp on the strap you buy because of $40.

Whilst we can't verify what the author of this thread spent on his camera, it does make a valid point. If I was using a $1000 camera with a cheapish lens, I probably wouldn't be too bothered about what strap I purchased, just like many who buy lower end digital cameras probably wouldn't be bothered about their choice in tripod. I.e. why would you spend $1000 on a camera and then $1000 on a tripod. If the author of this thread has a fairly expensive rig, I'd be inclined to overlook cost as a factor and focus on functionality, irrespective of which product provides that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the pictures on the Carryspeed site, it looks like they have redesigned the plate,
    (C-3 suggests they are onto their third generation and the pictures of the plate look quite different)
    Does this fix the issue, I have no idea... A list of bodies the plate has been tested with woud be really nice.

I was not particularly impressed by the initial reply by Carryspeed in the link in WhoDo's post, but I'd suggest reading
    further as someone higher up steps in and tries to resolve the issue...

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Carry Speed CS-Pro System.
    The ability to mount a tripod plate is important to me,
    and I prefer the look of the CS connecter over the BR...

So far I have not seen any suggestions that it is any more likely to drop my gear than the Black Rapid equivilent, apart than because it is cheaper, and while I think it is worth paying for quality, I also think that some products are over-priced simply due to their name, the trick is knowing when you're paying extra for quality or just for a name...

Regards,
    Anon.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My equipment will soon e quite expensive. (waiting for delivery)

While i agree with you MissionMan, I would gladly disregard the cost for known quality. Believe me, i've read tons of reviews between the two, while generally Black rapid is more well known hence more reviews, biggest rant of users are when they wanted to mount on a tripod but that issue is fixed now.

Carryspeed, i guess the 'new player' for sling type straps, has had issues as well but they've been re-designing their products and have now produced the 'proper' product.

I just couldn't believe that the black rapid costs $100 as the carryspeed is around $60..

Now i think after tons of reading and thinking and deciding, im leaning towards the Black Rapid. Just need to convince myself to spend $100 on the strap and then a little more as i will most likely be setting up a 'back up' rig..

Guess should just stop writing this and should be clicking that 'add to cart', 'checkout', 'confirm' buttons.. Haha!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schy View Post
    My equipment will soon e quite expensive. (waiting for delivery)

While i agree with you MissionMan, I would gladly disregard the cost for known quality. Believe me, i've read tons of reviews between the two, while generally Black rapid is more well known hence more reviews, biggest rant of users are when they wanted to mount on a tripod but that issue is fixed now.

Carryspeed, i guess the 'new player' for sling type straps, has had issues as well but they've been re-designing their products and have now produced the 'proper' product.

I just couldn't believe that the black rapid costs $100 as the carryspeed is around $60..

Now i think after tons of reading and thinking and deciding, im leaning towards the Black Rapid. Just need to convince myself to spend $100 on the strap and then a little more as i will most likely be setting up a 'back up' rig..

Guess should just stop writing this and should be clicking that 'add to cart', 'checkout', 'confirm' buttons.. Haha!
    Actually I agree with your approach. No point in rushing into purchases and then find out you're making the same mistake as someone else.

I also don't believe the tripod issue is fixed. As an example, the FastenR-T1 only works for Manfrotto plates, if you want to get a Arca Swiss Tripod solution, you'll have to do something similar to what I did although the cost isn't that high, you can pick up arca swiss clamp for about $30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One important point that comes to light out of this is about the cost of the equipment. I.e. why buy a $3000 camera and then skimp on the strap you buy because of $40.
    Both brands sell for almost identical prices in the US, both seem to use quality components in their products its more the design that differs.

The plate pictured in that forum is a completely different plate to what I have(mine is the same as pictured below), the new plates look a lot more solid than that, more mounting holes for tripod plates and a stronger looking screw that holds it on.....I like the offset mount as it allows the camera to nestle on the side of your body a lot better.

**REMOVED PHOTO : Do not post photos onto Ausphotography that you do not own copyright to **

I had a long look at the BR and almost purchased, played with one in my local shop but I just dont like the look of the small swivel clip, I have delt with this type of thing before, admittedly under extreme conditions, have seen them fail, its a lot on a very small pressed in swivel mount that after a lot of use may well fatigue.....mild steel spinning on mild steel has a tendency to wear(I dont think they are high grade stainless....but I could be wrong)

**REMOVED PHOTO : Do not post photos onto Ausphotography that you do not own copyright to **

The CS ball mount seems to be much much more solid and once screwed up will not come apart, it also doesnt swing around and clunk and scratch on the camera body, I am not sure if thats a big issue for anyone at the end of the day but not one I wanted to find out the hard way.

Not saying the BR is a bad product, by all accounts its very good and is used extensively but for me after looking closely at both I found the CS offered a few improved features and so far has been faultless.....about the only thing I could pick on would be that the BR has a nice ability to add some little storage pouches for phone, memory cards ect that the CS doesnt......but my pants always have pockets so its not that bog a deal

Was it $60 or something? ooohhhh.. Im so tempted now..
    Yes mate, CS Pro System(includes hand strap & uni strap)is $60US plus postage and the BR RS-7 is $59US ($85AUS), not sure if any of the site sponsors sell them but would be worth a look, when I purchased I couldnt find a Aus seller for CS (always prefer to keep my money in the country if possible).....hope its ok to discuss prices and product brands here, I know it can be an issue on other forums especially when site sponsors are involved......happy to edit if needed
    Last edited by ricktas; 22-07-2012 at 4:22pm.
    Canon 7D, Canon EF 24-105mm f4L, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
    Manfrotto 190XPROB + Vanguard Ball Head + Kenova fluid pan head
    Kirk Enterprises Low Pod + Manfrotto 410 Geared Head + Velbon Super Mag Slider
    GoPro Hero2
    Bags, Cases and lots of other bibs and bobs

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which strap has the best IQ and which one has the best ISO low noise ISO performance?

regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Warning:

Lots of comments in this thread from members with less than 30 days membership and/or 50 posts. I suggest you all read the site rules, in particular:

Members with Under 30 day’s membership and/or 50 posts:

[3] Are not allowed to promote or complain! Promotion or complaints about services/people/organisations/products/businesses by new members is not allowed anywhere on Ausphotography. New members are also not allowed to seek/advertise employment (either paid or unpaid) anywhere on the site.

I will be removing posts if new members continue to promote or complain in this thread.
    Last edited by ricktas; 22-07-2012 at 4:24pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Which strap has the best IQ and which one has the best ISO low noise ISO performance?

he he he......ok, so its a boring sunday afternoon and I am stuck on the couch, could be worse....
    Last edited by fishographer; 22-07-2012 at 4:36pm. Reason: remove pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks fishographer for the info, pictures and reviews, Its made my decision a lot easier.

Kym, *grin* looking at the pics supplied by fishographer the IQ and ISO low noise ISO performance of the CS and BR strap pictures seem identical, but the CS has a pixel count of 667,000 (1000x667) vs the BR's pixel count of 640,000 (800x800) so I think I'd have to go with the CS pic - I mean, clearly pixel count on your strap is everything ;p (tho perhaps we should wait for Mega-pixel straps)

Regards
    Anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no probs.....sorry too Rick for posting up those images, got a little wrapped up in the post and forgot about the rules....removed another one myself.

cheers
    Last edited by fishographer; 22-07-2012 at 4:34pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Thanks fishographer for the info, pictures and reviews, Its made my decision a lot easier.

Kym, *grin* looking at the pics supplied by fishographer the IQ and ISO low noise ISO performance of the CS and BR strap pictures seem identical, but the CS has a pixel count of 667,000 (1000x667) vs the BR's pixel count of 640,000 (800x800) so I think I'd have to go with the CS pic - I mean, clearly pixel count on your strap is everything ;p (tho perhaps we should wait for Mega-pixel straps)

Regards
    Anon
    Pixel count on the strap has a bigger impact than you think because it lowers the noise. Although the CS and BR might have the same amount of noise, you could downsize the CS and get a reduction in noise.

On the converse, all the people with BR straps seem to frame their pictures better, so its clear that having a BR allows you to frame better shots. The BR photos also have people with bigger and more expensive lenses so thats likely to mean by acquiring a BR, you'll be able to afford better gear or maybe it improves your chances of winning the lotto.

I should be in sales, I can build a justification for anything.
    Last edited by MissionMan; 22-07-2012 at 4:39pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    or a politician.....

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a Sun Sniper instead or a Boss Strap. I use both and they are excellent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really informative thread. Special thanks to MissionMan, I might just do what you did.

I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hectic3 View Post
    Really informative thread. Special thanks to MissionMan, I might just do what you did.

I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
    I'd love to claim I thought of the idea but its a combination of a couple of people's ideas. Can't remember where I saw the arca swiss clamp idea, but that someone else had already done. The climbing loop was my own idea, but it was a variation of someone else's suggestion about a steel wire connection that just seemed too much effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Climbing loop is quite elegant really. Easy clip on for a secondary life line and doesn't look half bad either.

Now to source what I need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Pixel count on the strap has a bigger impact than you think because it lowers the noise. Although the CS and BR might have the same amount of noise, you could downsize the CS and get a reduction in noise.

On the converse, all the people with BR straps seem to frame their pictures better, so its clear that having a BR allows you to frame better shots. The BR photos also have people with bigger and more expensive lenses so thats likely to mean by acquiring a BR, you'll be able to afford better gear or maybe it improves your chances of winning the lotto.

Between your points about noise reduction
    And fishographers very helpful information about the Carryspeed,
    I've caved in and ordered a Carryspeed, so yes you should be in sales

(Also I'm concerned that if I got the Black Rapid and didn't win lotto I'd need to spend a lot on more glass)

I should have the Carryspeed within about a week, so I'll be able to put up some pics and my impressions if anyone is interested...

Regards,
    Anon.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will be good Anon, as my next purchase would be a sling strap!
    Still learning the craft...

Canon 60D (gripped), 18-200mm f3.5-5.6, 50mm f1.8, 24-105mm f4L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 430ex II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the CS Pro has arrived,

And I've taken some photos, and am thinking of putting together a review...
    There were quite a few things that initially I disliked, thinking, why did they do something like that,
    but with a bit of thought I could see why.

Oh and I also bought a Black Rapid Pro Pin, and can confirm it fits the CS Pro socket... so it does look like you can mix and match to at-least some degree between the two systems...

Regards,
    Anon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast