Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Lens Advice for upcoming holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens Advice for upcoming holiday

Hi All,
    I need a little advice with which lenses to take on my upcoming seven week trip to Europe.
    I am definitely taking my 24-105mm which I have used in the past as my general walk around lens. I am wondering if it is worth taking a 10-22mm & 85mm lens & a speedlite?
    I will be going through the UK, Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy & Germany. There will be a lot of countryside as well as architecture in the cities. I can justify the 10-22mm but not sure about the 85mm or the speedlite given that flash photography tends to be prohibited in most places so perhaps I should just rely on the in camera flash?
    Any point in taking a Gorillapod DSLR tripod? Was given one as a gift but am yet to use.
    Any advice from anyone who has travelled as to the most versatile kit?

Cheers,
    Katt
    Last edited by Katt; 20-07-2012 at 7:40pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katt
    Hi All,
    I need a little advice with which lenses to take on my upcoming seven week trip to Europe.
    I am definitely taking my 24-105mm which I have used in the past as my general walk around lens. I am wondering if it is worth taking a 10-22mm & 85mm lens & a speedlite?
    I will be going through the UK, Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy & Germany. There will be a lot of countryside as well as architecture in the cities. I can justify the 10-22mm but not sure about the 85mm or the speedlite given that flash photography tends to be prohibited in most places so perhaps I should just rely on the in camera flash?
    Any point in taking a Gorillapod DSLR tripod? Was given one as a gift but am yet to use.
    Any advice from anyone who has travelled as to the most versatile kit?

Cheers,
    Katt
    Hi Katt,
    Id defo take the 10-22, 24-105 & gorilla pod.
    No real need for the 85 or speedlite.

If push came to shuv and i had to shed some weight I'd also leave the 10-22 at home (or just not eat for a day or so!!!), you could always take a series of portrait shots and stitch together back at home for a pano.

Most of all, have a good holiday!

HTH
    J

Sent using Forum Runner

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^Quite right!!
    I have constantly found myself hankering for "wide! wider! I need wider angles!" more than anything else.
    (I had to look back thru your posts to confirm you had a crop sensor camera so that the advice wouldn't be too far out.)

But if it's detail in, say, architecture, then the 24-105 covers the range of the 85mm lens anyway.
    If you have a pop-up flash that should suffice for most applications. You can certainly forget flash inside most museums etc.
    In large churches and such, any flash wouldn't do much. You need available light.

(In fact, leave your camera at home. Each time I travel it appears that there are increasingly more prohibitions on usage of cameras in the likes of museums, galleries)
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Katt, you've obviously got a 1.6x crop camera, so 24mm is not nearly wide enough for traveling with, take the 10-22mm definitely.

I'd also agree to leaving the 85 at home, and probably the speedlight, unless it's a 270EXII. The 270EXII is small enough to just
    chuck in anyway, and if your camera has a built-in speedlight transmitter/controller (ie 7D, 60D) the 270EXII becomes quite versatile.

Cheers,
    Jason.
    Last edited by koputai; 21-07-2012 at 12:05pm.
    7D, 350D and some glass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 10-22 would be a nice addition for Europe. The 7D has enough ISO range that you might not need a tripod. But if its just a Gorillapod and you don't need to lay out the cash (cause youve already got it). I would consider adding it to the bag. Depending on your photography style I might take the speedlite but not if its not in your everyday style.
    See my work on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the range is good- but the 17-55mm is never a bad lens to have around- it negates the 10-22 and is a beautiful portrait lens. Great for inside museums etc.
    Canon 6D, Canon 550D, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6

www.imogenbrandrakers.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ice View Post
    the 17-55mm is never a bad lens to have around- it negates the 10-22
    I agree it's a great lens, but it in no way negates the 10-22mm. The difference between 17mm
    and 10mm is amazingly big. I have both, and have taken them on many trips. Just got back from
    Uluru/Olgas/Kings Canyon/Alice and the 10-22 hardly came off the camera.

Anywhere there is big scenery or limited space, like walking through streets in cities, the 10mm is the
    choice over 17mm.

Cheers,
    Jason.
    Last edited by koputai; 07-08-2012 at 2:22pm.