Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Photographing Concerts

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photographing Concerts

Well i have managed to score photographing a couple of bands on sat night and kinda nervous .I was going to gamble with my 24-105 but with all the advise i have been given i have just got the 50mm 1.4 as i think light is going to be the issue so if there is any more tips you can give fire away.
    I managed to get them to say yes to being there for sound check so I'm hoping to get some great shots then and put them on a usb for them .
    any way hopefully all will be ok.
    Canon5D MK III,Canon 6D,Canon 17-40 L ,Canon 24-70 MKIIL , [/COLOR],Canon 70-200MkII L ,Sigma Fisheye 15mm 2.8 ,Canon 2xMk3 Extender, 430EX11 Flash , Lee Big Stopper & Other Lee Filters.
    Manfrotto 055XPROB + 322RC2 + MBAG80P.
    Critique is allways welcome, Any help and advise will allways be appreciated.

davidwalkerphotography.net

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with that, I'm sure that you will do okay I have found that photographing bands rates among the hardest things to do really well. You can get heaps of average shots but it is really hard to that real cracker shot. I know only because I have been doing this for a number of years. You will find that the 50 f/1.4 is going to be a great lens but depending on the crowd you might not be able to get in close enough. I find that using a 14-24 f/2.8 zoom get me in close enough without having to fight off the crowds which is also good to include in your photo sets. I generally push my ISO up as high as I can so I can keep the shutter speed at minimum 1/30 1/125 is better and it will also depend on how active the bands are. I only very rarely use flash as it tends to wash out the rich colours of the band lights. Have fun though and don't be afraid to get in amongst it. Get on stage if you have to talk to the band first though some like it some don't

Kind Regards
    Livio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be interested to hear how you go and see your results As I am doing a similar thing in about 4 weeks time ! Sorry I have no constructive advice for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advise,
    Burst mode - The lights change so fast it can be a case that one shot is awesome and the next shizenhouser just because the light changed.

take LOTS of photos At least one will be a keeper

Good luck.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok i got some crackers at the gig now where do i post them.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by britinozz View Post
    Ok i got some crackers at the gig now where do i post them.
    That's a good question.
    People/Sundry or Other/Sundry.
    Not for Critique.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit late: my professional advice is to wear REALLY GOOD EARPLUGS.

My amateur advice is to take two lenses that you expect to do well with. One with some reach and another you can get close with. You may need both, or only one will be good.

From experience and reading a lot about stage photography: the final rehearsal is a great place to be as you are not interrupted by the ticket goers. The show night is also a great place to be following the rehearsal shoot.

Do shoot in burst mode and read on the net from very experienced photogs about shooting with stage lighting. Often shooting (or processing) B&W is a great solution to over saturated lighting issues.

Check your camera setting prior to the gig -set it up before leaving home.

Don't be too concerned about using high ISO to compensate for movement. You are unlikely to notice much grain if you don't crop much at all.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX