Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera bag (back pack) - suggestions please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera bag (back pack) - suggestions please

Hello!

I need help for a new back pack which would allow me to grow as well.
    Currently my gear is:

Gripped 60D
    18-200
    50 f1.8
    430ex ii

Really soon:
    24-105
    70-200 f2.8 is ii

Future:
    2x extender

Might get more lenses and flashes, might not.. We'll never know! Hehe!

I am currently looking at lowepro flipside 400 and think tank streetwalker hard drive. Which of the two bags do you think is better? Or if you have any other bag suggestions please feel free to throw them in as am really looking for a good bag that will last for a while.

If it can fit a 15" laptop it is a bonus but not really a must. Also if possible the budget is around $200ish but less would be really good!

Thanks in advance!

Schy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guragear Kiboko, either original or version II. Exceptional cavernous bag. But not cheap...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Guragear Kiboko, either original or version II. Exceptional cavernous bag. But not cheap...
    Hi Wayne! Do you use them? Do you use the 22 or 30L? Can you pls post photos of it with your gear and a photo of you or anyone wearing it?

If thats okay..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your current gear a Lowepro Flipside 300 would fit the bill. That's what I'm still using but mine is starting to get a bit crammed as it's housing my D200 with grip, 80-200, 50, 18-55, 90 macro and other bits and pieces. Hopefully getting a speedlight soon at which time I'll need to upgrade to a larger bag.
    Last edited by Paul G; 20-07-2012 at 12:57am.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess being out at Narrabri make sit difficult to get to some stores to see the bags for yourself, as this is really the only way to decide.

You'll get as many opinions on here as there are bags on the market.

Get on the web, and carefully go through various websites and check out the bags interiors and make sure they will fit all your equipment, and then some, as you will end up buying more pieces as time progresses.

Perhaps wait until you can come to sydney and drop into DCW, as they have a huge range of bags there that you can test fit your stuff into.

Personally, I use a pro-roller bag, a Lowpro X200, and even that is getting tight if I want to carry all my stuff.
    It's also bloody heavy when fully packed!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife just bought me a Lowepro DSLR Video Fastpack 250 for my birthday (by request of course ) and its fantastic.

Houses a 7D (no grip though) 50mm prime, 11-16mm, 17-70mm and 70-300mm as well as speedlight all in the flipside camera section.

It has a few extra features over the standard Fastpak and I like the audio accessory compartment and pouch, dont carry much audio stuff at the moment but will be handy when we go out to do video but this little section swallows all my other bits and peices and still room for some packed lunch .....I also like the hideaway tripod carrying section on the side....very handy

Has a section for a laptop or iPad up to 15" and all for around $150......its very low profile too, no fancy badges or livery to shout "expensive cameras in here" just looks like a plain black backpack but you can pull it around to your side just like a flipsider to pull the camera out and shoot......I love it

I procrastinated for months on what to get and thats where I settled after looking at a few different options in the flesh

cheers
    Jamie
    Last edited by fishographer; 20-07-2012 at 11:48am. Reason: more info
    Canon 7D, Canon EF 24-105mm f4L, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
    Manfrotto 190XPROB + Vanguard Ball Head + Kenova fluid pan head
    Kirk Enterprises Low Pod + Manfrotto 410 Geared Head + Velbon Super Mag Slider
    GoPro Hero2
    Bags, Cases and lots of other bibs and bobs

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I guess being out at Narrabri make sit difficult to get to some stores to see the bags for yourself, as this is really the only way to decide.

You'll get as many opinions on here as there are bags on the market.

Get on the web, and carefully go through various websites and check out the bags interiors and make sure they will fit all your equipment, and then some, as you will end up buying more pieces as time progresses.

Perhaps wait until you can come to sydney and drop into DCW, as they have a huge range of bags there that you can test fit your stuff into.

Personally, I use a pro-roller bag, a Lowpro X200, and even that is getting tight if I want to carry all my stuff.
    It's also bloody heavy when fully packed!
    Hehe! Its so hard to purchase anything in person here, not many choices at all! Anyways, that is what i do everytime. Search and research! I believe the size of flipside 400 and think tank streetwalker harddrive is the perfect size. I like the security of the flipside but cant put many small stuff in it anymore.

Do you have any other bag brand suggestions?

The gura gear looks good but its really pricey..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    For your current gear a Lowepro Flipside 300 would fit the bill. That's what I'm still using but mine is starting to get a bit crammed as it's housing my D200 with grip, 80-200, 50, 18-55, 90 macro and other bits and pieces. Hopefully getting a speedlight soon at which time I'll need to upgrade to a larger bag.
    I'll +1 the flipside bags, im using the flipside 400 and it is fantastic for on the go shooting.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mojododo View Post
    I'll +1 the flipside bags, im using the flipside 400 and it is fantastic for on the go shooting.
    Everyone seems to have and like the flipside..

Are there any think tank streetwalker hard drive owners there?

Cant really decide between the two.. Might just need to flip a coin! Lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Flipside 300 and perfect bag for gripped 60D + 300 F4, 15-85, 10-22, 1.4x extender and room for hoods, batteries and a P&S camera. Anymore stuff and I'll need the 400 size. Easy to wear and swing around to get your gear out, secure in that no access is able to be got while wearing it. Don't know if a laptop would fit on top of the gear, mine would fit an Ipad only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schy View Post
    Hi Wayne! Do you use them? Do you use the 22 or 30L? Can you pls post photos of it with your gear and a photo of you or anyone wearing it?

If thats okay..
    I do use the Kiboko, the 30L version. It holds a stack of gear, and is cleverly designed by Andy who does alot of African safaris. It is the only packpack that will swallow my 400/2.8VR in one side, and D800 + D3s, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8VR, 85/1.4 and 2 speedlights in the other side with still more room in the outer compartments on both sides and takes the tripod or mono on the side.

As I said, light, durable, water resistant, exceptionally well made, but not cheap....

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do use the Kiboko, the 30L version. It holds a stack of gear, and is cleverly designed by Andy who does alot of African safaris. It is the only packpack that will swallow my 400/2.8VR in one side, and D800 + D3s, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8VR, 85/1.4 and 2 speedlights in the other side with still more room in the outer compartments on both sides and takes the tripod or mono on the side.

As I said, light, durable, water resistant, exceptionally well made, but not cheap....
    Wayne, can you share where you got yours from?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second the Kiboko. But the 30L can be a bit of an overkill on many occasions.
    Exceptionally light for the amount of things it can pack.
    The 22L+ would probably be more suitable, being able to accommodate a laptop too.
    Both don't have very elegant tripod solutions although that wasn't one of your criteria. I had no trouble with mine cos I can fit all my photographic gear in one half, which leaves the other half for my tripod, softbox and lighting gear but if you need one half for a big lens, then a tripod has to slot into the outside pocket.
    Also they are both expensive, although you get what you pay for.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swifty, did you get yours in Australia or from overseas? I cant seem to find any from here..

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Direct from the US manufacturer site.
    They don't have a distributor in Australia.
    Look for US holiday specials. The last I saw was a US Labour day weekend sale where the 30L was on special I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Swifty mentioned, got mine from the USA direct from Andy Biggs as they are not available directly in Australia, and you do get what you pay for. I have had no issues with my CF tripod and WimberleyII head in the side pocket of the bag...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.. I'll see how i go..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Lowepro Mini TrekkerAW,

I love it.

In the main section I have:
    Pentax K5, with battery grip and 70-200mm F2.8 Tamron,
    150-500mm F5.6-6.3 Sigma
    28-75mm F2.8 Tamron
    90mm F2.8 Tamron Macro
    50mm F1.4 Pentax
    15mm F4 Pentax
    x2 TC
    x1.4 TC
    and room for some remotes, filters etc...

In the outer section:
    a pair of flashes
    a mini tripod and a travel tripod
    other small odds and ends

I'm not sure if it's still in production, but might be worth a look if you can chase one down...

(If you are interested I can take some shots of it...)

Regards
    Anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another US brand no one has mentioned is f stop. They make great packs and are very versatile. IMO they make backpacks that can carry camera gear very well not just turn a camera bag into a backpack. If you've actually hiked and lugged gear around (not just camera) this makes sense....

I've got a Guru with both the Small Pro ICU and Shallow Medium ICU. I can carry a bucket load of stuff in either ICU plus plenty of other gear.

I won't lie, they are a little bit pricey but IMO they are the best solution out there.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Anon - it will be great if you could post some photos of your bag, i would really appreciate it!

@mikec - thanks for your input! I'll have a look at the f stop bags as well
    Still learning the craft...

Canon 60D (gripped), 18-200mm f3.5-5.6, 50mm f1.8, 24-105mm f4L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 430ex II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast