Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown away by my new 5D3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blown away by my new 5D3

I used my new 5D3 in anger for the first time last night, when I did a job for a big birthday party at the Bonnie Doon golf club.

Was a great night, and I was just a little nervous at using a new camera for a paid job, although I did take my 60D with me as a back-up.
    I have found that the white balance of the 60D is not always right, but the 5D3 is just about perfect.

The camera was superb!
    The focussing is amazing, and out of 560 photos, only 3 photos were slightly out of focus, which was probably my fault.
    The venue was very dark, and I used my 580EXII flash bouncing it off the ceiling, which I find the best method in these circumstances as people are happy to be photographed and it doesn't give them red eyes.

Here's a few shots from the night, all taken from the jpegs (but of course I will process all the photos later from the RAWs), straight out of the camera with NO adjustments whatsoever. They are very low res too.

GB5_0686.jpg

GB5_0777.jpg

GB5_0910.jpg

GB5_0986.jpg

GB5_1041.jpg
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your new purchase. And not bad pics for low res.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good work and I am sure your client is happy with them too.
    Be happy, life is beautiful, even through a humble point and shoot camera
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.
    I hope the client will be happy, but it wil take me a week to process all the pics, + about 20 minutes of HD video, then make up a slide show for them and make a DVD with the shots, video and music.
    This was a return job from a family that I've done this for previously, so they must have been happy with the last job I did for them.

When I've finished this job, I'll put it up on Yout Tube and post a link to it on the forum for all to see.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very jealous of your purchase, Benny. I agree the mkiii feels SUPER nice.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benny. You should constantly check your shield harmonics. Being blown away by the likes of can(n)on is do Waterloo!!!
    (Um-mm-mm.)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser Film Street's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That flash is not bounced off the ceiling.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with filmstreet, the shadowing under chins, around faces etc, does not look like those of flash that is bounced off the ceiling.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to say, but the flash is defintely bounced off the ceiling.

I use the little white card also, which bounces the light around a bit, but if I used direct flash at a party, no-one would want their picture taken, and using bounced flash, you don't get red-eye either.
    Direct flash would have also shown up a lot more hot spots on their faces.

The room was pretty dark, so the flash virtually lit up the whole room.

The only time during the party that I used direct flash, was when I took pictures outside, where there was nothingot bounce the flash off, but all of these were taken indoors.

If you look closely at #1,2 and 3, you can see just a little bit of shadowing under the chin.

Perhaps I also know how to use a bounced flash to best its effect.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser Film Street's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bounced flash. Used to create some shadow and balance exposure of the subject and environment. Be careful using bounce cards. If you are closer to your subject than the ceiling the light reflected from the bounce card can override the bounce if your card is set too high. If I ever use the card, I have it up only a couple of millimeters and only if I'm getting too much shadow under the eye.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what angle you have the flash-head at too.
    You can see more bounced flash pictures http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...35-Party-Shots

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not saying you didn't bounce the flash or anything but I must admit, the shadows in most of these definitely looks like direct flash. Eg. the last pic with the gentleman holding the glass. The shadow of his hand is directly behind him.
    I would normally expect bounce flash results to be more like the example film street posted.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're definitely all bounced.
    I should know, I took them!

Here's a couple of shots of the night that were direct flash.

Maryannes40th-0888.jpg

Maryannes40th-0892.jpg

Maryannes40th-1048.jpg

Maryannes40th-1061.jpg

With the right technique and flash setting, the results should be similar if the flash is bounced or direct.
    Using the right angle on the flash head, together with the diffuser, providing the height of the ceiling is taken into account, a bounced flash should give you a nice even light.
    I also use a relatively slow shutter speed of 1/60th second, so the light from the flash has time to bounce around and light the subjects more evenly.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what the deal is with whether it was bounced or not. I thought the point of this thread was for us all to get jealous of your 5Dmkiii

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jealousy was not my intention here, as many of you out there have far better equipment than I have, but just to show some examples of how happy I am with the 5D3.

In previous jobs like this that I have done with my 60D, I had to do quite a bit of PP on the images, mainly to fix white balance, but the auto white balance on the 5D3 is excellent, and I hardly had to make any adjustments, and the low light focussing is amazing.

I guess like many threads, it tends to go off the rails a bit, but I guess that is what makes forums like this so much fun.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    ...... but I guess that is what makes forums like this so much fun.
    I'd use the term .. interesting .. but it is fun as well.

As with life in general, conversation turns from one topic to another and information flows.
    That's the point of forums as well .. it's just like real life ... "only crunchy!!"

One point leads to another topic which then transpires into another debate, which finally turns into a semi related argument, which subsequently sees someone bow out in a huff.

FWIW: I don't think the flash was 100% bounced. While it may have been bounced, it may have been angled or tilted more towards the front(ie. 45° or something).
    Light can't defy the laws of physics, and if the shadows are anything to go by, the bulk of the light source was primarily front on.

Film Street's image shows more of a bounce effect, where you'd expect that the flash head was primarily pointed towards the ceiling and the shadows are formed with the primary light source coming from higher up and so the shadow is cast from above. Also the more diffuse reflected light from what can safely be assumed is a white ceiling has cast a much softer shadow(less defined).
    Bennymiata's images have stronger shadow forming with more defined edges compared to Film's bounced flash sample.

The other thing of note George, is did you use a higher/highish ISO value than baseISO?(no exif in the images).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used an ISO setting of 800 on most of the images, and yes, the flash was at about a 45 degree angle and the white bounce card does push some of the light directly on the subject.

After much experimentation, I find this system gives the best, and most realistic results with limited shadowing in dimly lit rooms, but obviously, it doesn't work well outdoors.

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bounced a flash off the floor once.

I won't do that again, it never worked again.

I will be more careful next time.
    Mark

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I used an ISO setting of 800 on most of the images, and yes, the flash was at about a 45 degree angle and the white bounce card does push some of the light directly on the subject.

OK, makes sense.

At 45°, the direct light produced from the flash + bounce card provides more of the lighting effect than the reflected light off the ceiling can provide.

So imagine, at approximately 45° the direct light coming from the flash is going to be say(as an example) 2 or 3x stronger(or brighter) than the reflected light from the ceiling.
    (that's just the nature of light, and even a mirror will lose some of the light it reflects back at 'ya).

Hence the light appears to be predominantly coming from front on, and why the comments doubting the use of bounced flash.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use a relatively slow shutter speed of 1/60th second, so the light from the flash has time to bounce around and light the subjects more evenly

I don't think the shutterspeed comes anywhere close to the speed of light with which that light bounces around the room.....
    Last edited by vk2gwk; 03-08-2012 at 4:31pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast