User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Aurora Alert, Southern States

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Aurora Alert, Southern States

We are currently under a massive aurora alert. Tasmania is fairly much covered in cloud, but it has reached level 6 so if it keeps growing, it should be visible to Victoria and South Australia, Lower Western Australia and even into NSW. You will need to get outside, with clear skies and away from city/town lights to see it.

New Zealand is currently completely under the solar storm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All of Tasmania is under the solar storm now. It hit Earth at 7.50, so it's growing quite fast at present.

For those with iPhones or Android phones, you can download 'Solaris Alpha" to watch the solar storm's impact and the size of the Aurora. An Aurora can be visible outside the storm area, by looking to the south.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how long do they usually last? Ill be in TAS at the end of the week, if its still around might be interesting.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was around again last night, but as they are induced by solar flares from the surface of the sun, they are entirely random. But they generally only last a night or two. Last night was no where near as intense as Sunday evenings. Really it is just luck, the solar flare and storm when it hits earth could occur in the middle of the day, and then we get to see nothing.

The sun is going through its 11 yearly cycle and between now and early 2013, we should have heaps of opportunity to capture it. Sunday and Monday's events this week were caused by a solar flare last Thursday, so that gives up a bit of warning. But space is BIG, and the flare from the sun has to be 'shot' towards the earth, rather than anywhere else in the galaxy. So it really is pot-luck with both getting a large solar flare, it being shot at Earth, and it arriving at night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get any shots of it?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    Did you get any shots of it?
    nah, did not get out this time. was raining and cloudy in Hobart till later into the evening. People reported getting shots from 11.30pm onwards, and by driving an hour south of Hobart. I work 11 hour days, so I was in bed before then..hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woose Aurora lights are on my list of things to see one day.