User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To buy an expensive lens from gray or australian retailer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schy View Post
    Just wondering, if you order the 70-200 f2.8 is ii from dwi, will it be likely or unlikely charged with GST? Thats over $2000 piece of glass..!
    You should be charged GST as it is over the limit, however it seems common practice for all grey retailers to undervalue the item. It is fraud and Customs are well within their power to hold the item and give you a heavy fine. Whether this happens on a regular basis is probably unlikely, but I know someone who has been nabbed trying to import a 5DII + 300 2.8.

Not trying to scare you but it can and occasionally does happen if Customs suspect the individual to be skirting the law.

I think buying grey is a real personal choice depending on who you talk to. Over on Whirlpool there are countless threads of bad experiences and some good ones with DWI. It's a matter of balancing the risk - I'm quite happy to buy a grey Nikon SB-910 as the savings are considerable and for the $400 if it does cark it well not a big deal for that amount of money. However, maybe not with precision optics such as lenses and cameras.. indeed I managed to get a better deal from JB buying the Nikon 24-70 2.8 for $1680 and the D800 for $3350. At the time, greys were equal or higher than JB when postage was included.

I guess, however, if I were to buy from a grey retailer I'd try and buy from one who is Australian based with a registered business. That way despite the manufacturer's warranty (or lack of) you still have 12 months under Australian Consumer Law. There's a fellow in Perth that comes to mind, however I'm still deciding what I want to get
    Last edited by Sifor; 19-08-2012 at 11:23am.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my Canon lenses are L-series lenses, and every single one of them was purchased from an Australian-based parallel importer. (I have never purchased from online sellers based overseas.)

The only problem I've ever had was years ago with one lens which had defective element inside the lens. The supplier sent a replacement and I returned the fulty unit.

There are some matters to consider when buying from Australian-based parallel importers.

Firstly, the items do not come with a manufacturer's warranty from Canon Australia. Given that a warranty is only valid for one year, that may not be a big consideration for some people When I last purchased a lens (2008), Canon still offered international warranties.

If you're a professional photographer and wish to join Canon Professional Services (CPS), the items will not meet your equipment requirements for CPS membership eligibility, as some years ago Canon Australia decided to be precious about it and insist that the lenses and Cameras you purchased had to have been purchased from authorised Canon dealers.

If you buy from an Australian parallel importer, you are still protected by statutory rights under the Consumer and Competition Act (formerly the Trade Practices Act). The supplier cannot disown the problem.

Some people seem to look upon the purchasing of goods from a parallel importer as some sort of stigma. Certainly the manufacturers and retail stores don't like it, as the latter cannot compete on price.

As I see it, there is no problem with purchasing from parallel importers. If anything, it is safer and more convenient than purchasing from a manufacturer's authorised retailer overseas. Plenty of people buy camera equipment overseas, and in that case they would also not receive a manufacturer's Australian warranty (nor a battery charger cable with a 240V AC plug), and would need to go back to that supplier in the event of a problem. Plus, there's the issue of consumer law in those countries, with which I dare say most Australians wouldn't be familiar.

At the end of the day, it is a matter of personal risk assessment for the consumer. If you are not comfortable purchasing equipment from any business other than an authorised retail outet, and are prepared to spend considerable money for retail overheads and a one-year warranty, then that's your choice.

Personally, based on years of owning Canon DSLRs and L-series lenses, I have never needed warranty service, and have not experienced reliability issues. I have literally saved many thousands by buying from reputable Australian-based parallel importers, and do not consider the one-year warranty and retail overheads to be worth that money.

In my opinion, the Australian market (esp. at a retail level) is absolutely ripped off. The cost price of a lens paid by retailers to Canon Australia can be more than the price a consumer pays to a parallel importer. My feeling is that Canon Australia's prices are too high. Then again, Australia may be considered such a small market compared to the American, European and even Japanese markets.

Savvy consumers will always look for a better deal, and armed with the knowledge of the risks and benefits associated with purchasing from non-authorised dealers, can make some significant savings. I speak from experience. The equipment all came from the same factory.

If the manufacturers and the retailers don't like the fact that there are other business under-cutting them, then they'll need to adapt or lose.

The retail business is tough these days, and online shopping and more awareness (of how horrendously ripped off we are) has been progressively attacking them. If they cannot compete on price, they need to find another way, which generally means service. The problem there is that with the proliferation of information on the Internet, even service may be a 'product' that the consumer doesn't need.

In my case, you (a retailer) do not sell to me; I buy from you. I know the products I want, and there's very little a salesman can tell me that I don't already know. It's simply going to be a case of whether a salesperson can give me the product for the price I am prepared to pay. If not, then I will buy elsewhere.

I'm simply not interested in unnecessarily spending extra money for the same item.

It comes down to personal choice at the end of the day, and I am comfortable with mine, and have been comfortable for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Nikon bodies have all been locally sourced but glass and other accessories have been bought from local and overseas outlets, and so far I havent had any warranty problems.
    As for the prices being charged by some of our dealers; we pay more for most things suposedly due to our small population (yes I know, pure BS).

If you are worried about 'grey' warrantys then consider the amount you are 'saving' versus the cost of returning for any claims.

I support local business but not if they have rediculous profit margins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the same as Xenedis, with 2 small differences.
    1) I have all pro Nikkor glass where every single piece was sourced overseas.
    2) Nikon still offer international warranty on glass.

I agree in that the 'product' of service is useless to me. I have doen the research myself long before I step into the camera store, so I also buy from them, rather than them selling to me. I am an avid importer and proponent of buying wherever you get the best deal, as long as the reseller is reputable. I strongly support USA and HK resellers, having spent tens of thousands $ and never been stung by any of them. They have always been very helpful from the time of purchase, to a couple of warranty issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    meh, even DWI - selling stock from HK online - has their warranty serviced by ATECH in Sydney, so no need to send it back to HK/China. Like they had serviced one of my lenses under warranty.

its a win win for me, and I will continue to shop via grey importers for years to come.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read through all the posts, and I have found that opinions by members are location based.
    Those that live close to major cities all state buying local because they can get the items back quickly and easily.
    But for us that live a distance from any camera shop or repairer the cost of either travel or postage has to be weighed up against buying from overseas.
    I have started using DWI as my supplier. And I know all their items come from overseas. But they are extremely trustworthy. And always very helpful. And delivery is cheap.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    But for us that live a distance from any camera shop or repairer the cost of either travel or postage has to be weighed up against buying from overseas.
    A rather strange observation Geoff. You live closer than me to a shop that will provide good service and attempt to match prices where possible and if you look further into it, when you are working you are only about 5 min walk away from said shop.

Yeah, I know, he can't get within realistic pricing on some items and he is painfully aware of that and knows that if I ask for a price I will refer him to the DWI or e global sites. But, as the saying goes, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP I have bought 3 L lenses from a grey importer. He is in WA, but ships Au wide. He has his own warranty system & it has worked for at least 1 person I know.

Not sure what the protocol on the site is, but if you are still interested PM me.

I work in an industry that is under attack from // importers & until I understood the reasons why, I was dead against it. It is all down to margins demanded by authorised importers. I won't buy another lens from an authorised source under the current system.
    gb From GB
    C&C is more than welcome, it's encouraged.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    That is exactly what they would do Jason.

All Canon product now carries a Country of Origin warranty
    That's interesting isn't it. When you think of it the county of origin ought to be where it was made, not were it was sold.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbamber View Post
    Not sure what the protocol on the site is, but if you are still interested PM me.
    Think if you're active and have over 50 posts, you can post links and name names.

Those that live close to major cities all state buying local because they can get the items back quickly and easily.
    But for us that live a distance from any camera shop or repairer the cost of either travel or postage has to be weighed up against buying from overseas. ....
    Well I've been happy with B@H. They beat the price I can buy on-line from Aust. retailers (for what I've wanted). In the unlikely event something needs to be returned under warranty, the Aust, suppliers want me to pay for postage to and from them for it to be fixed (or I could drive to Sydney, more expensive than postage).
    B@H pay for postage for stuff covered by warranty.
    Swings and roundabouts, read fine print, do what makes you comfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gbamber View Post
    Think if you're active and have over 50 posts, you can post links and name names.

But for us that live a distance from any camera shop or repairer the cost of either travel or postage has to be weighed up against buying from overseas. ....
    Well I've been happy with B@H. They beat the price I can buy on-line from Aust. retailers (for what I've wanted). In the unlikely event something needs to be returned under warranty, the Aust, suppliers want me to pay for postage to and from them for it to be fixed (or I could drive to Sydney, more expensive than postage).
    B@H pay for postage for stuff covered by warranty.
    Swings and roundabouts, read fine print, do what makes you comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read through all the posts, and I have found that opinions by members are location based.
    I have started using DWI as my supplier. And I know all their items come from overseas. But they are extremely trustworthy. And always very helpful. And delivery is cheap.

Hmmmm not sure about that one Geoff, I am in Hong Kong 2-3 times a year for shoots and shenanigans, yet I still buy my gear on DWI - because its still cheaper than buying from Man Shing/Wing Shing in HK!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The really stupid thing with all of this is that the Canon/Nikon, etc lens you buy comes from the same factory. Canon make it, Nikon make it, it is their product, made on their production line, yet they will not honour a warranty on it, if you do not buy it from their official sellers. But these grey sellers must have purchased their stock from Canon/Nikon, or a distributor somewhere, and Canon/Nikon happily sold them that stock. If these camera brands were really serious about not supporting grey, they could just embargo the supply of goods to these grey stores in the first place.

It is really just a big game that they play with us, the consumer, and they get a profit premium, by trying to scare us into thinking grey is bad. If a grey market selling in Hong Kong can sell a lens at 1/2 the price it is available for here in Aus, and the grey seller can make a profit on it, then Canon/Nikon must be selling it to these Hong Kong stores at a lower price than they sell it to the Aussie B&M stores.

Why these large multinational companies are not forced by international trade laws to supply the same item, at the same price, out of the same warehouse and production line, to everyone is beyond me. The playing field is not level from the start of the supply chain, and that sucks!

They will argue that the cost of supply to Australia is more than the US for example, BUT, the same lens costs the same amount to make on the same production line, it doesn't cost more to make it cause its for Australia. And shipping.. if we can buy a lens from Hong Kong and get it shipped here for $30-$50 within a few days, why cannot Canon/Nikon do the same, and if not for cheaper, by sending in bulk.

*rant over*
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-08-2012 at 9:56pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greedy middlemen, distributors. Ask any retailer, they will tell you. The Aus distributors demand premium markup, that and the higher cost of running a retail outlet here in Aus add further pressure to the local price.
    just be thankful that Nikon Aus, can't get approval the way Nikon USA has to deal with grey items.
    Nikon USA, will not touch grey items for US residents regardless of whether it is under warranty or not, and regardless of whether the customer is offering to pay for the repair, they simply have a policy not to touch it, which does go a very long way to scare USA residents into buying from their distribution chain.
    I am led to believe Nikon AUS wanted to try the same on here and were told by Japan to forget it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The really stupid thing with all of this is that the Canon/Nikon, etc lens you buy comes from the same factory. Canon make it, Nikon make it, it is their product, made on their production line, yet they will not honour a warranty on it, if you do not buy it from their official sellers. But these grey sellers must have purchased their stock from Canon/Nikon, or a distributor somewhere, and Canon/Nikon happily sold them that stock. If these camera brands were really serious about not supporting grey, they could just embargo the supply of goods to these grey stores in the first place.
    I was just about to write something similar until I read your comments. Agree with this totally. I also thought Nikon Aus didn't honor International warranties anymore, the same as Canon.

There is an enquiry going on in AU at present in relation to various product pricing in Australia (Apple, Adobe prices etc) and can be read about in Au newspapers. Questions are being asked such as why, if you download a software product or music, why do consumers have to pay a premium price in Australia for the same digital download. The consumer is paying their ISP for the bandwidth to download the same item most likely from the same central server in the USA that distributes all over the world but at different pricing.

When Sony started taking movie pirates to court for illegal downloading activities and copying of DVD movies, did Sony stop producing blank DVD's that were used for the activity. What else would user's use blank 4.7Gb DVD discs for - backing up their wordprocessing files and yearly tax returns. It's all about the money and scattered consumers around the world not having a united collective voice in the Global (free trade?) community.

I often wonder who supplies the grey market their Canon, Nikon, Sony etc. stock and at what wholesale pricing - Canon direct, or some middleman purchasing and warehousing at smaller profit margins. Maybe Au consumers need to set up a not for profit grey market consumer collective and deal direct with the major suppliers. But that's probably just dreaming...
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    just be thankful that Nikon Aus, can't get approval the way Nikon USA has to deal with grey items.
    Nikon USA, will not touch grey items for US residents regardless of whether it is under warranty or not, and regardless of whether the customer is offering to pay for the repair, they simply have a policy not to touch it, which does go a very long way to scare USA residents into buying from their distribution chain.
    And why would they be scared? They can buy the stuff a lot cheaper in the US than we can here.
    I got my camera from the US at as good a price as anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They might be scared because their Northern Neighbours in Canada often sell both new and used and great prices, yet Nikon USA will not touch any Canadian distribution chain products unless covered under a worldwide warranty, regardless of whether the owner is paying or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a "grey" Sony camera from Hong Kong, I did have a shutter failure after 15 months that cost me $220 to have repaired by Sony repair agent in Aus.
    They told me that if it had been purchased in Aus, Sony would more than likely honoured the warrenty even though it was 3 months out of date.
    So I could have saved $220 but the camera was $400 from Hong Kong, so I am still in front

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just received my Sigma 85mm back from warranty repair with DWI half an hour ago.

Bought last August.

Lens is a hard worker for wedding and commercial stuff, AF motor slipped and could not AF anymore.

Sent to DWI end of July 12' for warranty repair.

Got it back after 4 weeks.

Would I keep buying grey imports knowing they are easily covered by 3rd party warranty in Aus? Absolutely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12