User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: The Red Dot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Red Dot

I only just noticed it today after getting home and transfering my photos from the camera to the PC, so I looked back at some other photo's
    I had taken to see if the red dot was in any of the photo's too, and low and behold it was.

I have no idea what is the cause, so if anyone cna please tell me it would be appreciated.

Here is a cropped image showing the red dot.

pixel.jpg

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess would be a dead pixel on the sensor, especially if it in the same place in each shot.
    Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn that's no good at all then if that is it, i will try and overlay another image and see if its in the same spot, I think it is, but it only shows up when I'm doing landscape photo's too.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a dead pixel, it is a hot pixel. In sensor terminology a dead pixel would appear as a black dot. A hot pixel is one that shows as one of red/green/blue all the time.

Depending in your camera (check the manual) you may have a pixel/sensor calibration ability (often called Pixel Mapping). Which you run the software and it will 'fix' the pixel.
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-07-2012 at 5:59pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Not a dead pixel, it is a hot pixel. In sensor terminology a dead pixel would appear as a black dot. A hot pixel is one that shows as one of red/green/blue all the time.

Depending in your camera (check the manual) you may have a pixel/sensor calibration ability (often called Pixel Mapping). Which you run the software and it will 'fix' the pixel.
    Thanks Rick, I will have a look and It is a 1100D too, so hopefully it might have something to fix it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some Canon's do a remap when you put the camera into sensor cleaning mode. From my understanding (not a Canon user). You just put the camera in sensor cleaning mode for 60 seconds and as part of that it performs a pixel mapping and should get rid of your hot pixel. But I am not sure if that works for all Canon models. us Nikon folk have to send our gear back to Nikon for a remap. Olympus has it as a menu option.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check your cameras manual and see if the 1100D has a Dust Delete Data function. If it does, then give it a try. If not, it should be in DPP somewhere and you may be able to connect the camera to the computer and .......... good luck.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Some Canon's do a remap when you put the camera into sensor cleaning mode. From my understanding (not a Canon user). You just put the camera in sensor cleaning mode for 60 seconds and as part of that it performs a pixel mapping and should get rid of your hot pixel. But I am not sure if that works for all Canon models. us Nikon folk have to send our gear back to Nikon for a remap. Olympus has it as a menu option.
    I don't have an option in my camera either rick, and the hot pixel only shows up in long exposures too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Check your cameras manual and see if the 1100D has a Dust Delete Data function. If it does, then give it a try. If not, it should be in DPP somewhere and you may be able to connect the camera to the computer and .......... good luck.
    After reading my manual and finding the dust delete function in my camera, I have done that so hopefully that will work.

Thanks for everyone's help too.