User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: subject blur

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

subject blur

howdy, im at a really frustrating point at the moment, ive been trying to take portraits of my own kids and some friends kids and i seem to be still getting subject blur in alot of images, sometimes the images look ok on camera but once loaded to pc look a little blurred or out of focus...what sort of things should i be looking at to correct this issue?

im working with a canon 450d with kit lenses (*sigh*) 18-55 and 55-250

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean motion blur, of just out of focus?

Tim

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must post a pic or two, Boggle, or we'll be boggled to guess why.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tell the kids to sit still.
    As Am suggests, post a photo or two. Or what settings are you using.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this image of my boys isnt sharp enough, now they moved a little, their boys they do have trouble sitting still and the one in the middle hates having his photo done but its not just my boys, i took photos of a friends baby not long ago and i had alot that werent sharp enough. I tried to focus on babys feet and that wasnt successful either

- - - Updated - - -

oh the settings were 1/60s , f4.5 and iso 400 (we were indoors trying to use available natural light)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll always struggle a bit with movement at 1/60th. Some of the movement may be camera shake, so it's not always the subject that moves. I read your EXIF data. It says the flash fired on this image, but I can't see the flash reflected in any eyes. Flash will help a lot at slow shutter speed, both to put some light into the eyes and to help freeze movement. You'll need to diffuse it though.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a good look at this pic and enlarged it. I could not see that it was overly soft.
    A number of factors could be at play, though:
    1) how good is your lens, and, does it have back/front focus issues?
    2) 1/60sec as Warbler mentions
    3) f/4.5 may not be giving a good enough DOF (though I doubt this is significant in itself)
    Points 2) and 3) would mean you should try to increase the amount of light.
    4) If all of the above, try to keep your ISO to about MAX 400.
    5) Image processing methods.

Anyway, is it just with this lens that you get the problems? Have you given it other tests with other subjects/conditions?
    Am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yes i had a new external flash, 430 ex 2, only got it that day and was pointing it at the ceiling

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you sharpened in PP?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it has been covered above but I will add my comment.

Your camera, lenses and flash unit are more than capable of getting the shot you need so please do not *sigh* yourself into buying new gear just yet.

You only just got your flash gun. Have a play, look on the net for advice http://strobist.com is a great place for all you need to know about flash. The result you want is not far away. What would happen if you put your shutter up to 1/160 or 1/200? Have a play with that. The only thing that is certain is these boys will not sit still so you have to freeze them. I am willing to be told otherwise (then we both learn) but as I understand it the lower the power you set on your flash the shorter the duration and therefore the more likely it is to freeze action. Means you have to put the flash into manual mode and reduce power but hell it can't hurt to try it out and have some fun

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone ...am liking strobist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you have IS on?

Main thing im thinking of is get a faster shutter speed to avoid motion blur and make sure IS is on to prevent camera shake on your end..

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're close and at around 57mm focal length equivalent you're not far off for hand holdability shutter speeds (assuming you have good technique). Although at 1/60 seconds you may not be quick enough to stop motion (of the boys).
    There's also the other factors such as dof (with 3 faces to get sharp) as well as the focus accuracy and sharpness of your lens.

To eliminate the variables, try lighting with just flash at base ISO to see how the lens performs. Ie. darkish environment where it'd essentially be very dark without the flash firing. Because in this scenario, the flash duration (very fast, something like 1/1000th or quicker) will stop motion and get your subject sharp assuming the lens is sharp enough, there's enough DOF and that the focus is accurate.
    So after this experiment you're down to a lens problem or other.
    If its a lens problem, next you need to know if its a focus accuracy, DOF or lens sharpness problem.
    Try a few different DOF settings and see if things improve. Try focusing on a few stationary targets and see if its on target. If nothing helps, then maybe your lens is just not that sharp.
    If its not a lens problem then your original lack of sharpness is down to inadequate shutter speed, maybe technique (or both) and maybe a little softness due to increased ISO but 400 is pretty low in DSLR standards.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...
    To do some testing, I'd suggest you use a tripod if you have one, use manual focus instead of AF, f8 and perhaps get back a little further and use your 55-250 to test this lens too. If you use a tripod, switch the IS off and back on later when you're not using the tripod. A 1/100 sec is probably a better shutter speed but it all depends on your available light. You could also use a reflector on the side opposite the light if that lighting still gives you the effect you want.

They probably look ok on camera because of the small reviewing screen, but, if you haven't, use the camera review screen magnifying function to zoom in on the shots in camera after you take a shot.

My original camera was a 300D and a 18-55mm and if you had to use that cameras review screen, you'll be gad to have the one you have on your 450D.
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II