Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17

Thread: How to delete AP attached photos

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to delete AP attached photos

I use AP to attached any photos for display. Currently I have 32MBs of photos attached.
    Some of this is from things like Caption this, One thing,One week and Who, What, Where that are so old that they are no longer relevant and could be deleted to save space on AP.
    Is there a way to delete these attached photos?

As smooth as hessian undies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's probably a better way, but start a reply or post, then select "Manage Attachments" from in the section below the reply (might have to choose "advanced" reply. Tick the ones you wish to delete and select delete
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi, thanks for the idea Mark. We do not have a storage issue on the site, so there is no need to delete them. If, in the future, we do. I can remove photos/threads from the administrative side. The good thing about me doing it, is that I can select threads that have not even been viewed for say 2 years, thus remove ones that could be deemed 'inactive'.

So you can use the 'manage attachments' option, but there is not really a need, at this time.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some stats:

The entire site takes up 14.307 GB (as at time of this post)
    There are 42,352 photos stored, taking up 6.76 GB (which is included in the above overall total) but does not include photos stored as competition entries (which are over 10,000 as well)
    The average size of these photos is 167.3 KB
    Overall, these photos have been viewed 3,053,619 times
    The largest number of attachments by one member is 1,037
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-07-2012 at 7:41am.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 14 Gb also includes ~2Gb of competition images

In addition to Rick's number I have a complete duplicated test site and we also have daily and weekly on disk backups.

If space every was an issue we could start culling old threads, but for now we don't need to.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you delete every photos Ive posted that has a unicorn in it, thanks
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Sure, email me a list of URLs

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Ohhhh. This will be fun. Seeing as unicorns do not exist, I will assume they are invisible and thus remove every photo that you have posted that might have an invisible unicorn in it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this question Mark. I uploaded an edited photo from my hard drive and thinking it would work like photobucket deleted it from the hard drive thinking it would delete from here - nope!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hardly ever use attachments (Mostly Flickr) But when I do, it is mostly of a rework of someones image they put up for CC, Or one of mine I have reworked.
    This is one of the reasons I would like to remove them from this server. The other reason is that the ones that are not my images, are in under my name, and the original owners name cannot be seen on them. And to me it is a breach of copyright (In a sense)
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    I hardly ever use attachments (Mostly Flickr) But when I do, it is mostly of a rework of someones image they put up for CC, Or one of mine I have reworked.
    This is one of the reasons I would like to remove them from this server. The other reason is that the ones that are not my images, are in under my name, and the original owners name cannot be seen on them. And to me it is a breach of copyright (In a sense)
    HUH? I really am not sure what you are trying to say here? Are you saying that if you rework someone's photo and then re-upload it to display in their thread, that cause it is stored on the server under your name you are breaching their copyright? Not true. Otherwise every server on the planet that has photos on it, is breaching copyright. I would be breaching every single member's copyright by having their photos on the AP server, which I pay for. Breach of copyright is based on you USING someone else's photo.

You have only used the photo to present it as a rework in the members thread, with their permission to do so. You are not using it to make money, or posting it elsewhere on the web and claiming it as your own, so you are not breaching their copyright at all.
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-07-2012 at 5:19pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick - I was not worried about copyright myself more that I have deleted such reworked photos from my hard drive and did not want the owner of the original photo to think otherwise when they still appeared on the thread.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread. Thanks to all
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point Rick. I just feel awkward having someone elses images under my name. It's like when I do a rework, as soon as I add it as an attachment, I delete it from the computer straight away.
    It's possible that I have read to many articles on here about copyright that it has put a phobia into my way of thinking.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good point Rick. I just feel awkward having someone elses images under my name. It's like when I do a rework, as soon as I add it as an attachment, I delete it from the computer straight away.
    It's possible that I have read to many articles on here about copyright that it has put a phobia into my way of thinking.
    Also remember that the critique forums on AP are only visible to active members/ Try it, logout from the site and click forums and try and find the critique forums. We block access to them for everyone (including search engines) to try and protect members copyright. People cannot just browse the net and find your photos on AP and download them. They have to sign up and become active (posting) members to be able to see the critique forums. Most will just move onto another site where photos are freely available without having to register.

As smooth as hessian undies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that having reworked someone's image, they don't want to keep a copy in any way that might make it look like theirs. It's why I don't use my flickr or photobucket accounts for the reworked images, but only use attachments (it's also way less trouble).
    As for deleting them, the problem then would be dead images in old links. I made the mistake of using my flickr account for some photos that were put up only for humour, or various other reasons, but now I'd kind of like to clean out my flickr account so that it is only images I'm happy with or proud of, and use my old photobucket account for the junk. But if I go moving them around, all the links will break in the threads, and it's not like I can edit the threads to point to the moved image, as it would be way past the time that you're able to edit a post for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you feel, Geoff and Ezookeil! In Flickr, which I use to put images here, I make sure the photos from other people are not seen by anyone else but me. That way I know at least no-one thinks I took the photo. I also then put my starting date on those images (my starting date in Flickr), so this moves them right to the start of my Photostream and not gets messed up with my actual images. Just makes it clean looking for me.
    Last edited by Ms Monny; 29-07-2012 at 5:33pm.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remember, you are only breaching copyright if you do not have permission from the person who owns the copyright.