Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Practical Image Posting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Practical Image Posting

hey all,

I know this will be posted elsewhere, but my searching terms ain't findin' it so please point me in the direction if you can.

my query is how do *you* post an image to AP? i've followed the FAQ and found that 250kb is the max jpeg the site will host...and I think I understand the reasons why.

but after preparing an image of my own (longest edge 1024p) taking the original down to that size makes it look plain awful (using CS5 jpeg compression on my 5.1MB file).

so do people generally host it elsewhere and then embed it, and if so, who do you use for your hosting? or do you have special PS-ninja skills that can make a 250kb file look tops? (please share!)

Cheers,
    sockpuppet.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sizing... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...r-the-Internet

Two things to consider
    a) Pixel dimensions (affects files size and display size)
    b) JPEG compress (affects file size only)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are entering competitions the 1024p and 250kb file size must be adhered to and generally the entrants in the comps manage to post some very good images at those sizes.
    If you are posting to the critique forums the site software will automatically resize linked images to fit within the forum dimensions and then allow it to be clicked to display at whatever size you linked it at.
    Many of the popular photo hosting sites are used by members here for the ease of sharing images here and elsewhere and they can allow different levels of sizing to be displayed.
    I simply use two "freebie" goodies in the form of BD Sizer to resize images and then upload them to Dropbox and link them to here for general forum posts.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent...just what I was after. thanks people.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, most averagely compressed images(as an example @ 1000 pixels on the longest edge), is easy to achieve 250Kb or less at about a 70% quality setting for the jpg compression scheme.

Note too, that as you increase pixel data within the image, the image becomes harder to compress, whilst maintaining a decent quality level.

That is, as two extremes as an example. Take typically normal image and set it to 1024 pixels on the longest edge, and set the jpg compression to 70%(or whatever equivalent this turns out to be in CS!!) and save it as a jpg image.
    So for example your 5.1Mb full sized (4000x3000pixel) image down sized and quality compressed image usually ends up at about 250kb's give or take a few here and there.
    But if you convert that image to black and white first, before resizing and compression, there is less data in the image prior to compression, so the compression engine in your software will compress it much more again.. you may end up with say a 150kb black and white image with the same compression and resizing variables set.
    There is simply no colour info in the black and white image .. ie. less data.

This happens in every facet of the image.. as you process and add saturation, or sharpness, or whatever other processing step, compared to the previous point in the image, without that edit step, there is now more data in the image .. and therefore harder to compress into a smaller file size.

Where you said taking the original down to that size just looks plain awful, coudl be due to lot so processing steps that simply make it harder to compress the image.

FWIW: my average full sized jpg image(~4000x3000) saved at full res, and best quality turns out to be approx 9-10Mb.
    With a resize to 1024pixel on the longest edge and maintaining the same ratio .. I resize and then save with 70% compression for the jog quality(remember jpg to jpg) and the resultant web pic turns out to be say 225kb(that was my last image done as test .. and about average.

Like I said, the data within the file itself is going to have a huge bearing on the resultant files saved .. and for some images where I've used D-Lighting(a Nikon thing!!) and colour curves and saturation, and all these intricate processing steps, I struggle to get the web file below 350kb, even if I try 50% quality(which I never use anyhow).

For those images I upload to deviantart(I find them to be super accurate with your files).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon} -> 50/1.2 : 500/8(CPU'd) : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8ais : 105mm f/1.8ais : 24mm/2ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any problem resizing my photo's to below 250 kb using CS3 and plenty of my files are larger than 5MB
    They also look exactly the same on Photobucket as they do on my computer and here on AP.
    I do mine the same as on the Link Kym posted moving that slide to 10 usually gets my images to around 250 kb..

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras