User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Crop factor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crop factor

Excuse me if I am wrong, but after reading some advice on some of the forums on this site I feel the need to clear this up about the crop factor of of your camera and the relation to full frame and what impact a particular lens will have on a crop sensor. As we all know, 50mm on a full frame is exactly that 50mm,now put that lens on a crop sensor body and things change, it will now become 80mm lens on a 1.6x body. Some people have have the notion that you divide the crop factor buy the sensor size, but in fact you multiply it. Here is a guide for those of you that want to know what a given lens will do on a crop body I hope this will be helpful.

http://digital-photography-school.co...onversions.gif
    My stuff.Canon 5DMk11 Canon 40d BG-E2N Canon 17/40 F.4 L
    Canon 400 F5.6 L

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashey View Post
    Excuse me if I am wrong,
    You are excused.

Quote Originally Posted by ashey View Post
    As we all know, 50mm on a full frame is exactly that 50mm,now put that lens on a crop sensor body and things change, it will now become 80mm lens on a 1.6x body.
    A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens whether you fit it to a DSLR with a 35mm sensor size, a 1.3 1.5 1.6 crop factor, micro 4/3 etc etc.
    The angle or field of view recorded on the sensor is the only thing that changes. That is all a property of the sensor size and has nothing to do with the lens.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and what about all the guff you read about the "extra reach" of such-and-such a lens on a crop body!

Shiskebab! One thing I reach for is an extra Bex.

"Equivalence", due to subtended angles of the given lens on a given body, is what is at play. But often, that is just taken to mean - and wrongly - "equal".

Oh, alack and alas!

...and so on... and so 4th...
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    ...and what about all the guff you read about the "extra reach" of such-and-such a lens on a crop body!
    THAT is what I was trying to say but couldn't think if the terminology or how to put it in here correctly, so I just didn't!!!

It is true though that you LOSE when you put on a wide angle lens, because it crops it....but I have also read that if you put on a 200mm lens on to a crop sensor camera (say x1.6) it then becomes 320mm!! Umm, how does it do that?? I could never get my head around that after reading it...and it was in a well know Photographic Magazine!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is true Andrew and you are right that the lens itself dose not change, what I am trying to say is that some people have the misconception that they will get a wider angle of view on a crop sensor with a given lens when in fact they will get a narrower field of view. ie sigma 12/24 which is built for the full frame camera, wont give you 7.5 /15 mm on a crop body it will be 19.2/38.4mm field of view.
    Last edited by ashey; 09-07-2012 at 1:37pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before any more misconceptions are formed ----

There are a couple of pages in the library that explain ( with pictures ) both crop factor and field of view.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    ...it then becomes 320mm!! Umm, how does it do that?? I could never get my head around that after reading it...and it was in a well know Photographic Magazine!!...
    MM. Quite easily: it doesn't!!! And therewith is the end of all your worries

Instead, it just gives you a field of view that LOOKS AS IF you had used the other lens. BUT-T! The image size STAYS THE SAME.

Those two references in the library that Andrew pointed out explain it quite well.
    Am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info Andrew, I think we can put this to bed.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing that comes into this is Pixel density. See here. You need to look at all the variables to get the whole picture.
    Keith.