Thread: 5dMk3 Default File Name?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 5dMk3 Default File Name?

OK, strange question coming up...

What is the default file name prefix in your Canon 5D MkIII?

Usually they are something like IMG or DSC or the like. Mine is OZ9A, does that strike anyone as being a little weird?

(is doesn't seem to affect anything, and I've changed it to what I like anyway, but I thought it was odd)
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My default is _219A. I agree, very strange. Im not sure if it's linked to the serial number in anyway, haven't checked.

However, all is not lost because there is an option within the menu system (one of the yellow tabs from memory) to change it. You can't change the default (at least I've not figured out how to), but you can select custom and then change that to what you like.

I have mine set to the more common _IMG_ because I find it makes identifying image filenames in a long list much easier.

R
    Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing the name is highly recommended, to begin with, but make it unique as well.

I got caught out after switching from the D70 to the D300 in that the file naming in the D70 is set to DSC_xxxx and can't be changed.
    Every 10000 images, the number sequence began again and so I had duplicate file names ie. two DSC_0001's, even tho they were different files and in different folders.

Once I started shooting with the D300 tho, the default file naming is similar and eventually I caught up to the same DSC_<number> as I'd got too with the D70 so I started to have triplicate file names, all over the shop!

So now I make it a habit to regularly change the file naming, and just use the same style as the default, other than I change the DSC to DSD and then DSE and so on.
    Will never go back to a camera that doesn't allow for unique file naming too ... it's not vital, but it's so much easier.

Once I started using Nikon's Transfer to transfer images from camera to PC, it allows for file renaming too on the PC. Up to this point I just used copy/paste into the folders of my choice.
    But with the transfer program, I again rename the files, and simply add the camera model prefix to the original file name .. ie. currently D300_DSH_6666, where the D300_ prefix is added by Nikon Transfer.
    If your image transfer/sorting program has this feature, I recommend using it as soon as you can.

Makes searching for images a bit easier, and if you ever amalgamate a series of images captured over a few years, and you've forgotten what they all were, when they were all shot and with what camera, and there's the chance that there may be similar file names ... there's much less chance of losing an image.(I lost one!)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I always change the filename to something that relates to when and where and what the photo was taken of, as I pull them off the camera ... "Floriade 2012 xxx." , "Blue Water Holes Camping May 2011 xxx." , "Christmas Gathering 2010 xxx." etc etc etc. They also all go in a folder with the same name as they download. So I can find the folder, and then the photos, with relative ease.
    I'd go stark raving made trying to find a shot amongst 1000 DSC xxx photos, let alone 3 different lots of DSC xxx.

A while back I started adding Picasa tags to all the photos in my collection, but the folder and file name system above generally finds most things really quickly, it only fails when you want multiple pictures from multiple folders - all photos with my Patrol in them etc. But that's why I also add Picasa tags now so I can always use that for the more complex searches.

And yes, the filename they're using as default on your camera DO seem really rather weird.
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 07-07-2012 at 5:33pm.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it isn't a big deal for me as I bring them into LR and rename them YYMMDD-HHMMSS-xxx-0123 anyway, I just thought this was odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I renamed the default on my 5D3 to GB3 (it's my third Canon camera, and also lets me know it was taken with the 5D3), but I also re-name them after going through them in Lightroom to reflect the content or where the shots were taken etc.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I customised my in camera file naming before I started shooting with it. Another worthy point for thought is adding some copyright info, also programmable through the camera menu. Your unique information is then embedded in the exif.

Roy

5D MkIII gripped; EF 17-40 f/4L; EF 24-105 f/4L; EF 50 f/1.8; EF 135 f/2L; 580EXII; Manfrotto 055XPROB & 308RC ballhead; Computrekker Plus AW
    My Photobucket / My flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep agreed, I do the same. In fact I think I used the EOS utility to fill out all the copyright info, works a treat.