Thread: Photo Finish : Episode Three : Wedding

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Photo Finish : Episode Three : Wedding

You can view the episode here : http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/23437

Vote for the entry you think should have won. You can post comments below
    Last edited by ricktas; 29-06-2012 at 9:58am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for the son doing up his tie. Thought it was a different take on the usual type of images but a lot of her work was oof and not composed. I also thought it was a great shot and I too don't know why they said anything about the orange cast when the photographers couldn't pp their image!!

I like the bride hugging the grandfather but that image didn't say much about the actual ceremony! I was nearly in tears when Bronwyn was beside herself because she didn't know how to turn the camera on. I missed the first bit of the show, so I presume she works only on film cameras, not dslr's.

Walt's image was a happy (sad??) snap. I certainly wouldn't put in a sooky child into a Wedding Album. Maybe if the bride was cuddling or there was a moment after this shot, it may have been alot better.

They were very very lucky to have such a obliging bride (who saved a bucket of money volunteering to do this!!). I think she wasn't lying when she said she didn't notice the photographers, even though we saw and heard 'click, click, click'. On your special day, all is a blur! I didn't notice or HEAR the string quartet playing when I walked into our marquee for our Wedding ceremony. Had to ask my hubby later if they were actually there!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't vote for any of them, the 2 without the brides face obviously left out the most oimportant element of the day and the boy tieing his tie was ok, but didn't neccessarily say 'wedding day' to me.
    Over all, 3rd week in, the faux tension build ups etc are painful and the moments where the least experienced one out of each group is like watching a train smash.
    I'll watch it through though for interests sake.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to know how long before the actual shoot the photographers (victims) are given their cameras. Unbelievable that one should be sitting, almost crying, minutes before - and not knowing how to turn the camera on. All three of them claimed to be into photography for years. The boy tying his tie I thought was the best out of the three, but as the bride said she didn't want any cheesy photos, I don't think any of the 3 came up to her brief. What happened to "none of the above" in the poll?
    Last edited by rafikicat; 29-06-2012 at 10:38am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also wondering what kind of album she will end up with? Three totally different styles of photography…Also if they were deemed the three best shots?
    I think maybe the competition should be about the best portfolio of 3-6 shots or a score for the best shot, and a score for the overall shots giving a total. That would deem who was best photographer, especially when is was about wedding "coverage".

As for the WB being out, long time since I used anything but manual mode, if in Auto or program mode wouldn't the WB be corrected? If there is no PP then they must be shooting in JPG?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    You can view the episode here : http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/23437

Vote for the entry you think should have won. You can post comments below
    Can't we have a none of the above?
    Please.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Can't we have a none of the above?
    Please.
    I decided against that, as this is about saying which one you think should have won. Like voting on an AP competition, you have to vote for an entry, or just not vote at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the composition/feel of the tie photo, however it doesnt scream a wedding photo. Keeping to the wedding theme, the one with the grandfather would probably be the best, though I kind of wish the photo was from the side rather than having someones back as the focal point.
    Last edited by ranvens; 29-06-2012 at 12:12pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranvens View Post
    I like the composition/feel of the tie photo, however it doesnt scream a wedding photo. Keeping to the wedding theme, the one with the grandfather would probably be the best, though I kind of wish the photo was from the side rather than having someones back as the focal point.
    I agree, but remember their brief was to cover the Wedding and look for symbolic shots. I wonder if they should not get the subjects back to also vote. Like Dick Smith etc in the first episode and perhaps the wedding couple in this episode.
    Last edited by ricktas; 29-06-2012 at 1:07pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know we are an educated lot here, but my goodness. Why didn't she have a spare card in her pocket? And there was an awful lot of chopped heads and feet. Are they sure they took those photos in the introduction?

Anyhow to the poll. I am choosing to abstain as none of them did anything for me. In fact I didn't see one shot that I thought was any good in the whole episode. Admittedly a wedding is very very hard. But come on......

I will keep watching in case it does get any better, but I doubt it.
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, but remember their brief was to cover the Wedding and look for symbolic shots. I wonder if they should not get the subjects back to also vote. Like Dick Smith etc in the first episode and perhaps the wedding couple in this episode.
    Ah I see. I haven't watched the episode as yet

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided against that, as this is about saying which one you think should have won. Like voting on an AP competition, you have to vote for an entry, or just not vote at all.
    I'll abstain from voting then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every shot they "flashed up " in preview looked soft, I saw very few decent photos at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the wedding photographers within this group. What should have the contestants been looking for, where did they go wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much, focus, composition, proper camera settings, timing, the brides face......etc

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranvens View Post
    For the wedding photographers within this group. What should have the contestants been looking for, where did they go wrong?
    There was obviously at least one day between when they were in the Studio and found out their Brief and the Wedding Day. The first thing would be to get familiar with the gear. If they had the gear, get it out and use it, or at the least, they knew what brand/model, so download a usermanual and have a read if they were unfamiliar with the gear. Not knowing how to turn it on, at the last minute is not a good look. She said to the groom she was going to stay outside..what did she do outside? Cause we cut to her inside and stressed about her gear. Time management is an important part of any stressful shoot.

It seems they had quite a deal of paperwork, that looks like it was given to them to assist, they could have studied it.

Lastly, they needed to listen to the coaches and the bride. The bride made a point of talking about her children and how they were in the actual wedding. She also commented about not liking red roses..another hint. There was lots of stuff in there that could/should have guided them in relation to the type of photograph the judges were seeking.
    Last edited by ricktas; 29-06-2012 at 8:05pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't believe you could put a flash on backwards, I thought they only went one way on the shoe.
    I didn't vote as I thought they all missed the mark.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No vote from me.. I thought they all missed the mark!! The brief was specific.. Unstaged, family photos, with the children.. The 3 photos were unstaged, but did they capture the wedding?? I would be walking down the aisle again with a real photographer.. This show is so frustrating
    D5000 Nikkor AF-S 28-300mm VR, Tamron 70-300mm, Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm VR, Marumi/Hoya Filters
    "There are times when words fall out of my mouth at the very same time they entered my head.. Apologies in advance for those times"
    "I don't get mad, I get better"

Sheree

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the bride hugging the grandfather the best.

I would have liked to see the bride have a vote at the end when the three photos had been enlarged.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the above
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast