User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 5D Mark III Current Prices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5D Mark III Current Prices

So I am was planning to upgrade my camera towards the end of the year and I have decided on the 5D Mark III. However, I just checked out a very popular website (site sponsor) and I see the price is already under the $3000 for the body!!! Does anyone know why the retail price as dropped so quickly and by so much?? From what I read post launch, there would not be a significant price drop for some time. Thoughts??

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just ordered mine for $3025 and obviously had been watching them closely. They seem to be dropping in line with the recent gains in the AUD. Remember that these prices are grey market or direct import and don't carry Canon Australia warranty. There is also a chance that during import they will attract GST as they are over $1000 and there are significant fines for getting caught avoiding this.

Australian stock it seems is $3400 or more, and mainstream retail stores are still at $3999. I think the price drop we've been noticing is nothing out of the ordinary.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...

I've been watching for a good Canon 5d III deal since the release. When I saw Canon USA's own shop list price was around US$3500.00 (today US$3499) and AU price was $4000.00, I was tempted to bring one in from the USA. The $400 savings could go towards a new 16-35 f2.8.

I see todays price from the online supplier I use is A$3015 and $1173 for a 7D. Bought my 7D here 2 years ago, dropped it at least 4 times, 2 seriously and have had no need for any warranty repairs yet.

I've been waiting to see what Canon will do to upgrade the 7D (fullframe I hoped but a major firmware release has just been announced, so who knows what that means for the 7D)

I see at least 6 other online stores selling the mk III for around A$3000.00. Do we really need an Australian warranty for a well built camera.
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another reason. Competition! The Nikon D800 comes it at just over $3K, so Canon have probably shifted their price point to undercut Nikon to help them get/retain sales. Nothing like a better spec'd item from a competitor in any market, at a great price, to see others dropping their prices to remain competitive.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myer has them for $3529.00, and they are from the latest shipment with the light-leak issue all fixed up.
    Full Aussie warranty.
    DCW still has them for $3999.

As the model is still so new, I bought a local import rather than grey, but when they've been out for 6-9 months, after all the bugs have been ironed out, I think that buying grey should be OK.

I'm really enjoying my 5D3.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you start taking all those things into consideration it makes a lot of sense. If it stay as $2961 (or cheaper) on eglobal i will be picking one up very soon!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has just arrived!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats etherial Got mine a little while ago while the price was slightly more inflated and haven't looked back. IMO if you've got the dosh to buy at current price, just buy it, enjoy it & get on with making it work for you. Can't take photos with a camera you haven't got yet.

Roy

5D MkIII gripped; EF 17-40 f/4L; EF 24-105 f/4L; EF 50 f/1.8; EF 135 f/2L; 580EXII; Manfrotto 055XPROB & 308RC ballhead; Computrekker Plus AW
    My Photobucket / My flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selaw View Post
    Congrats etherial Got mine a little while ago while the price was slightly more inflated and haven't looked back. IMO if you've got the dosh to buy at current price, just buy it, enjoy it & get on with making it work for you. Can't take photos with a camera you haven't got yet.
    I cannot agree with this sentiment more. Buy it and enjoy it - screw the cost, you are happy with the product I bought a car for my 40th....one of those cars A fwe months later it dropped in price. Hell I was still happy as could be that I had one - who cares the price dropped.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy it I am!!! I took my first shots in anger with it on Saturday and I am SO HAPPY with the results! It has exceeded my expectations. I'm now an even happier little tog!

(now to edit all the photos!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been pricing the 5D Mk III camera as well, Looks like grey import's are just under $3k while I can get a local 5D Mk III with a little negotiating for $3,500 so far. Will be travelling to another shop in the morning to see if I can get it lower. In the end I will buy local if I can get it for a few hundred more than grey import price, simply to have local store backup and official canon warranty if needed, but I don't think will be paying $500 more for this privilege.

I also wonder if anyone is actually paying the local advertised price of $3,999 without trying to get it lower :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Local Camera shop says they don't do discounts from $3999.00. I often wonder what the markup is on camera gear. Would Canon au actually sell it to them for $3300.00 + 20 % markup = $3960.00.

Sells from Canon USA online for rrp $3500.00. How much is bulk freight from Canon Japan wholesale to Australia in a container. Reduce the local price, sell more.