Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: My punctuation / writing sucks help/tips - Travel Writing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My punctuation / writing sucks help/tips - Travel Writing

Hi All,

So I feel my basic punctuation / writing is terrible although i exceed at other skills I feel this is one area I could improve on.

One of the things I want to do sometime is do some travel writing only problem is I'm not a writer and I feel I would just be criticised for poor writing technique and incorrect use of words or punctuation (as in the grammar police would arrest me)

I'm sure there is alot of people who feel the same as me so I would like to know if anyone has any tips / courses for improving in this area along with any good travel writers I could research that may have started out small but now have a big following.

I really want to strive to get better so I feel I have to start somewhere.

btw travel writing is the only interest in writing I have, I don't mean I want to do it as a career but as a hobby only but would like to be able to exceed at it.

Thanks

B
    Last edited by AussieBrent; 01-07-2012 at 10:23pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a course you can do entirely based on journalism for travel writers. I am not sure how good, or bad, it is; just that I know a couple of people who have done it.

Now I would add that you should not expect it to make you a lot of money. One of the people I know has a regular deal with a travel magazine. They are required to supply photos and the article. The photos are not paid for, and the article is paid for at a rate of $0.50 a word, and they have a max limit of 250 words applied to them, for any submitted article. If the article is published they get paid (weeks later) and if it is not published, they get $zero.

Your local TAFE might also offer a course on written English.

Good luck with it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography