User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  24

Thread: Photography Experience Level: now visible to all members

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Photography Experience Level: now visible to all members

From a suggestion in this thread, (thanks Etherial) we have now made members photographic experience level visible to all members. Whilst this was primarily a tool for our competitions, it has been suggested that if members could view it, then CC could be effectively improved. Therefore as of now, each member's experience level should be visible in their posts to threads.

We hope this assists you when providing critique to others.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great idea, Can i just ask...

How is the said members experience level determined?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniFighter View Post
    What a great idea, Can i just ask...

How is the said members experience level determined?
    Firstly when a member joins, they set it. We ask them to pick where they think they are.

Then it is used by the AP competition system to set which comp levels a member can enter. We are always on the lookout for people who set their level low on joining. We upgrade several a week, straight away, after they join. We use a variety of tools available to us, to check out newly joined members, and upgrade them if we think they have set their level too low.

It is amazing how often we get someone choose beginner and their intro says "I have been taking photos for a few years now, and have been an active member of my local camera club for the last 3 years. I also do weddings on the weekend', or similar. To us, this is not a beginner.

Members also get upgraded when they have entered comps and won, or made the finals several times. We also just peruse the forums and watch members photography improving and upgrade them. The mods and I have a thread (hidden from member view) where each month we discuss who needs upgrading. We often have 20-30 members under discussion at any time.

Hope that helps clarify how we do it.
    Last edited by ricktas; 01-07-2012 at 10:19am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, makes sense

Wayne.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Members can upgrade themselves at any time, but only a mod can downgrade you (and that by request and discussion).

The only benefit of the skill level is to make it a bit easier to split the comps.
    That said sometimes intermediate has better images than advanced and occasionally beginners post a ripper image!
    So don't read into the skill level more than is intended.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular fenderstrat1963's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kind of like seeing L plates on a car - you tend to make more allowances for them. I'm fine with it being shown, my photos are a dead giveaway of my level anyway
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so sure that I like this.
    I was about to make some comments on a photo, and then noticed that the photographer had an advanced skills level, and being at a much lower level myself I felt awkward about making any comment,so in the end I did nothing.
    I wonder if any others will feel the same.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

As smooth as hessian undies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wanted this for ages, but never thought to suggest it. I think it's a good idea. But as stated above by agb, the only concern might be someone being a beginner not wanting to critique someone that's advanced. But I've often known just by someone's work that they're quite advanced, but still commented on their pictures. Though it's much more likely a case of "what I like," or a question about how they did it so I can get similar results, than it is ever some kind of constructive suggestions as to how they could improve.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi agb, I think I would feel the same. My critique is pretty limited at the moment due to my lack of skill level, so I think you are right - I would be hesitant to comment (other than basic comments) about another photographers photos if I could see that they were advanced, semi pro or higher. Then again there is the other side to it, if others can see our LACK of experience, they may be a little less harsh with criticism and more helpful with advice. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other it seems.
    Last edited by aussie girl; 01-07-2012 at 6:54pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    I've wanted this for ages, but never thought to suggest it. I think it's a good idea. But as stated above by agb, the only concern might be someone being a beginner not wanting to critique someone that's advanced. But I've often known just by someone's work that they're quite advanced, but still commented on their pictures. Though it's much more likely a case of "what I like," or a question about how they did it so I can get similar results, than it is ever some kind of constructive suggestions as to how they could improve.
    If it becomes a concern in a particular case we can deal with that on an individual basis, to work towards a mutually beneficial result (that makes me sound like a politician)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've critiqued Rick.....and I'm still here ( and greatfully so) just sayin. Feel the fear n do it anyway Keeps them on their game
    Last edited by Kerrie; 01-07-2012 at 7:11pm.

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad this has been given a go. I think it will help both ways when giving and receiving critique if we know a bit more about where each of us are coming from. Newbies need not be worried, critiques are worthwhile from anyone if they are a reflection about how you feel about an image; you can't be wrong!

By the same token, getting good feedback from an "advanced" photographer will also give anyone a nice boost
    Last edited by etherial; 01-07-2012 at 7:34pm.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found it a bit intimidating.
    In the end I thought that I should just say nice shot

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    I just found it a bit intimidating.
    In the end I thought that I should just say nice shot
    I know what you mean.

But seriously, if all you have to offer is "nice shot and I like it because of x y z" then that is a useful critique. A critique doesn't have to be about giving technical comments, or even understanding how an image was taken, at the end of the day we are being presented with an image that is trying to show us something or better still, tell us a story, and what matters most is if that image managed to talk to you. Over time you will start to build experience and be able to be more confident in offering critiques and even advice. There is also nothing wrong with saying "nice shot, I like how you did x, can you tell us how you did it?"

If someone doesn't like your comments, or chooses not to take any notice then that is their loss. Be brave, go forth and learn

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I know what you mean.

But seriously, if all you have to offer is "nice shot and I like it because of x y z" then that is a useful critique. A critique doesn't have to be about giving technical comments, or even understanding how an image was taken, at the end of the day we are being presented with an image that is trying to show us something or better still, tell us a story, and what matters most is if that image managed to talk to you. Over time you will start to build experience and be able to be more confident in offering critiques and even advice. There is also nothing wrong with saying "nice shot, I like how you did x, can you tell us how you did it?"

If someone doesn't like your comments, or chooses not to take any notice then that is their loss. Be brave, go forth and learn
    Also remember that not just the person who posted the photo gets to learn from the good critiques. Everyone who reads the thread can. Sometimes we even learn something ourselves as we are writing our own critiques. In the end one single well written critique can be a lesson for dozens of members.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has a different eye regardless of their experience and may see something the poster hasn't, regardless of the posters experience. A critique also doesn't necessarily need to always contain constructive criticism or find fault, it can also be a means to ask questions regarding a shot and learning from the answers. Every time anyone shoots, be they beginner or advanced, they learn (or should learn) how they can improve the next time and only stop learning when the shooting stops.