Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Firefox 13.0.1

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firefox 13.0.1

After a few prompts in recent days I installed this today.

What's new? One irksome change is that when you open a new tab you just get a blank page, no longer the home page.

Now to get the home page in a new tab I have to use an add-on called "New Tab Homepage View 1.1". Such a mouthful!

Have I missed something obvious?
    Am?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine opens with all the recently opened pages in tab form to select from..Annoys the crap outta me. I want my homepage :/

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying different browsers for a little while. I was a die hard Firefox fan, but various things have annoyed me. I recently discovered a new browser that few have heard of. It's SlimBrowser, and it has all the features I want from all the other browsers. It has the tabbed interface of course, and you don't need an add on to make them go on two rows if needs be. It hasn't gone for the minimalist look where the tools are so well hidden you need a sniffer dog, but it can be as clean as you wish. It seems to be customisable to whatever degree you like, and it just works!

Thus far it has proved to be easier, faster, more user friendly and more stable than any of the rest, and I'd tried all the major players. It is, of course, free - so give it a try. Better than Firefox, Opera, IE, Chrome put together IMHO.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that Bobt. I'm interested in alternative browsers since I'm finding Firefox increasingly cumbersome, and for various reasons neither Chrome nor Opera entirely convinces.

A quick Google suggests Slim Browser is based on an old version of Internet Explorer. Ooh! Still I may well give it a go.

As for the OP: what Kym said. Tab Mix Plus gives a simple option to open new tabs in the home page. Whether or not it's a good idea to load down your Firefox installation with add-ons like Tab Mix Plus is another question.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    A quick Google suggests Slim Browser is based on an old version of Internet Explorer. Ooh! Still I may well give it a go.

Yup ... I think that's right. Sometimes I find that as each software package tries to outdo the opposition, they end up making packages so bloated, and so full of things that aren't all that useful that they become bloatware. That means they run more slowly, and lack the basic simplicity of earlier versions. I'm a tad old fashioned in that I like programs that don't try to hard to be all things to all people, and SlimBrowser seems to have retained that simplicity while grabbing the good new stuff as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bobt, I am interested in looking at something other than Firefox and it nice to to have a recommendation.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! Another add-on or a different browser.

Wow! We Australians have such choice.

So I haven't missed much.