Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  65
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have your say on Ausphotography now and into the future

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have your say on Ausphotography now and into the future

Once again, I am seeking member feedback.

I want to know:

* What you like about Ausphotography
    * What you think we should do better/improve
    * What we should add to the site
    * What we should remove from the site

Any other suggestions or ideas, good or bad feedback.

Note that we cannot always undertake any ideas, suggestions or feedback due to a myriad of reasons, but if we can make a change to improve Ausphotography, and any idea/suggestion is seen as worthwhile, we will certainly look into it.

Please keep the thread positive, but do not be afraid to tell us what you do not like. After all, getting rid/changing of a disliked part of the site, is just as important as adding new things.

Over to you!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular rellik666's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be me being slow, but what happened to the random CC button? i liked that. The Unanswered threads one just isn't the same as I still have to make a choice of where I am going.
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like..that its Australian and the real sense of a community that's helping each other to progress...and after being here a while..you get to know a few members and that I feel adds to the experience that AP has to offer .

Id like to see a improvement in the number of picture comments that members receive ..not sure how you do that ..but prizes for CC would be a start..perhaps members that post a image could score the CC that's given on a 1-10 basis..then each month that tallies up and who ever scores most receives a small gift..perhaps a memory card or the like

you could add a for sale section open to members that have a certain amount of posts...Id like to be able to sell and buy gear from members I know

nothing needs removing that I can see

sometimes I feel some new members have been cut down quite quickly for posting some different points of view....not a nurturing environment sometimes ...
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    This may be me being slow, but what happened to the random CC button? i liked that. The Unanswered threads one just isn't the same as I still have to make a choice of where I am going.
    The Random CC thread link, is now under AP Extra's menu. We have tried to tidy up the menu system so that fairly much everything is one (or two) clicks away.

Members may have noticed even the Competition Menu now has a drop down that takes you straight to entering, or voting, and more.
    Last edited by ricktas; 29-06-2012 at 2:48pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    I like..that its Australian and the real sense of a community that's helping each other to progress...and after being here a while..you get to know a few members and that I feel adds to the experience that AP has to offer .

Id like to see a improvement in the number of picture comments that members receive ..not sure how you do that ..but prizes for CC would be a start..perhaps members that post a image could score the CC that's given on a 1-10 basis..then each month that tallies up and who ever scores most receives a small gift..perhaps a memory card or the like

you could add a for sale section open to members that have a certain amount of posts...Id like to be able to sell and buy gear from members I know

nothing needs removing that I can see

sometimes I feel some new members have been cut down quite quickly for posting some different points of view....not a nurturing environment sometimes ...

Thanks.

* We have tried several ideas to increase the amount of CC. We did run a couple of 'CC of the month' Competitions. The most recent one was not really enthusiastically received and we did not really see much in the way of members working hard to provide better cc. We also negotiated with someone to come on board recently as the Anonymous Critic. We hope that over time, members will learn from AC's efforts and start working on improving their own CC. In the end we can (as admin/mods) only do stuff to encourage more active and valuable CC, but its up to the members to take it on board.

* For sale section. We used to have one, and the mods and I spent half our time removing spam, commercial sales and even settling disputes between members when an item was not as described etc. Ultimately, I got rid of it, and moved to the current CameraMarket model as the mods and I felt we were better off directing our efforts to other parts of the site. However, I am open to the idea of a trading section, but will chat to my lawyer about it, as their were/are legal implications to me, and I need to ensure that I (and AP) cannot be dragged into court if a trade goes really bad.

* I agree re some new members being cut-off. Maybe we all need to be a little more positive in that regard.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    As Rick said its on the Extras menu, the Unanswered CC Threads is there for a good reason,
    i.e. to encourage people to comment on threads that might get missed.

Getting the site navigation to be as easy and useful as possible is one of our goals.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular rellik666's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    As Rick said its on the Extras menu, the Unanswered CC Threads is there for a good reason,
    i.e. to encourage people to comment on threads that might get missed.

Getting the site navigation to be as easy and useful as possible is one of our goals.
    Thanks, I get that, I like the other one as it takes me places I wouldn't visit otherwise. The Unanswered one still gives me a choice and I default to somewhere I am interested in. If the U CC one was random also I would like that. But that is just me.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New members usually get into problems of discussion on commercial issues, either a) promoting something or b) complaining.
    a) Is not fair to paid advertisers
    b) Could be a competitor bad mouthing the opposition
    The 30 day / 50 posts lets us get a feel for a members intent on the site.

The rules in general, although tough are fair, and make AP safe for people to share their creativity and get good CC.

We avoid the extremes of :
    a) Facebook where any CC other than 'nice photo' is howled down; and
    b) Other fora where personal attacks reign supreme (esp overseas ones)

This means AP is not for everyone, but those that understand the why of the rules have a great time.

Oh! BTW AP is not a democracy

Ricktas, el Supremo, el Presidente, Illustrious Leader make benefit glorious forum of AusPhotography pays all the bills and the site is 100% free complete with prizes in some comps etc.
    Last edited by Kym; 29-06-2012 at 5:58pm.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a very good site, well run and I like the sense of community. I have met some wonderful people from this forum which I wouldn't have ever had the opportunity to do otherwise.

I would love to see the inclusion of the same menu bar that is at the top of the page, included at the bottom of the page so that when you've read the entire set of posts to the bottom of the page you then do not have to scroll back to the top of the page to then access things like "Forum" or "New Posts" or whatever. I know there is some sort of a short cut button, but as I am constantly in different forums and doing other things I forget which button it is, surely it can't be that hard to include? Other similar format forums have this feature.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    It's a very good site, well run and I like the sense of community. I have met some wonderful people from this forum which I wouldn't have ever had the opportunity to do otherwise.

I would love to see the inclusion of the same menu bar that is at the top of the page, included at the bottom of the page so that when you've read the entire set of posts to the bottom of the page you then do not have to scroll back to the top of the page to then access things like "Forum" or "New Posts" or whatever. I know there is some sort of a short cut button, but as I am constantly in different forums and doing other things I forget which button it is, surely it can't be that hard to include? Other similar format forums have this feature.
    That would be the 'Home' button on the keyboard, or the 'Top' link in the bread crumb menu which also includes New Posts etc.

Capture.JPG

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post

Hit the "Home" button on your keyboard. You can also use the "End" button to go to the bottom of any page

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Hit the "Home" button on your keyboard. You can also use the "End" button to go to the bottom of any page
    Yes, that is doable, but it means that we have to take hand off mouse and hit the "Home" button or "End" button. I know it sounds minor, but when you are trying to get to as many posts as possible it's just another thing that slows things up and something that you have to remember to do. Why not just install the menu on the bottom of the page and we can then navigate by mouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the library could have more tutorials. It was excellent when I was a very very new beginner, i got alot from it,but after only 6 months, I'd like to see more intermediate tutorials, to step up a bit.

I don't like jumping in and out of different forums.....I'd like to see AP a one stop shop, so to speak. It is a very active, passionate place. Lov it

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove anonymity
    Last edited by kiwi; 29-06-2012 at 6:55pm.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrie View Post
    I feel the library could have more tutorials. It was excellent when I was a very very new beginner, i got alot from it,but after only 6 months, I'd like to see more intermediate tutorials, to step up a bit.

I don't like jumping in and out of different forums.....I'd like to see AP a one stop shop, so to speak. It is a very active, passionate place. Lov it
    have a look at the tutorials forum.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Remove anonymity
    No matter what we do, people will always find a way around it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make it harder, so that the people that are here "pretending" are easier to I.D

Its one thing that Facebook, surely AP's major competition, has (and yes, I know it's not perfect) but it works well on other forms like BP

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Make it harder, so that the people that are here "pretending" are easier to I.D

Its one thing that Facebook, surely AP's major competition, has (and yes, I know it's not perfect) but it works well on other forms like BP
    I have a fake facebook profile and have had it for years. It is easy to do. I get what you are asking, I just think that it is not a major issue on AP. Yes we have had people who are pretending to be someone else, but no matter what we do, they can still do so, if they are that determined to do so.

And I do not see Facebook as our competition at all. In fact I do not even think about who our competition might be. People come and go from forums, jobs, towns etc all the time. I don't bother wasting energy on wanting to know why. I am here for the members of AP, right now. If someone new comes along, good, if someone stops contributing, that is their choice. I am not about to beg that they come back, etc.
    Last edited by ricktas; 29-06-2012 at 7:12pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite like the site as it is, hence I've been here so long now!

I use the RSS feed to see all the new threads come through which enables me to see most photos that are being posted and then when I have time I can jump in and offer a quick word of critique. The only issue I have with it is that the photos that are attached to the site don't show up in the RSS feed, they are there as just links (for security I guess).

I wonder if by having a new threads feed, or stream might get people seeing more threads rather than just the top of the new posts which tends to be the same few threads that are currently being active and bumped to the top, threads can easily miss out and slip down the list with one or two comments and be forgotten.

Even better would be a stream of the photo threads where the initial post is shown (similar to RSS but within the site), this way more people would be likely to see more photos and might be more inclined to comment. Not sure if it is possible, but just an idea.

Another might be to reward comments in threads with a status, I don't really like post counts as such, or levels that create classes but maybe a star system where you gain stars for good site contributions might be a nice way to reward valuable members and encourage participation. I'm not sure about that idea, just chucking it out there as a thought.

Lastly I'd like to see more meets, especially here in Vic we don't get together enough. Meets forge relationships and encourage more critique and interest in the photos, because you get to know the person behind their images and their goals etc. It makes it easier to give (and receive) constructive critique when you know the person on the other end of the screen.

All food for thought, keep up the good work guys and gals!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed the changes over the last few months and overall AP is moving forward Good job Guy's
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast