Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Lens for low light pub gig

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens for low light pub gig

Thoughts on Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens.
    I have been asked to shoot a pub gig for a local singer who I did the CD Label and Cover for a while ago I also did some shots of him performing at the local show which he is using for his promo.
    The only lenses I have at the moment for low light are my 50 1.8 and the 70-200 2.8L, I am thinking of this lens to add to my collection, the reviews I have read seem fairly positive, it would also be a very handy focal length for a Wedding I have been asked to shoot in the near future.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Keith,

My son is in a band and I often go out and get photos for them and yes it is mostly low light. I am thinking the lens you are looking at is a great range of lens for pub and band photography. You really need a short focal length for band work you have to get in close else all you get are peoples heads. A 50mm focal length can be okay but some places are really small and you need the short focal length. I have a 16-85mm lens not a f2.8 it is 3.5-5.6 even though this is a DX lens the camera is able to get good results at high ISO settings. The f stop on the lens is becoming less important important today as sensors are getting better and better. Don't get me wrong the wider the lens apperture the more light in and the faster shutter speed you can get away with. I find that hand holding 1/30sec is generally good enough to be clear. It will depend on how animated your subject is. The lens you are looking at will give you those options.

Regards
    Livio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a Sigma 30mm 1.4 ? It's not incredibly expensive either. I wouldn't consider 2.8 as low light. It's only fast for a zoom!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rahulbangar View Post
    Try a camera with short focal length. I think 40mm should do good for you.
    ????????????????????
    Keith.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used my 50mm f1.8 Canon a couple of weeks ago to shoot Broadfoot (north coast group) at the Hotel Brunswick. I did use my flash but at very low power. You can see them here or pn the band's website - I sent them to them and they have made a slideshowand linked back to my redbubble site. I was happy with that as I am a new chum at this type of shoot.
    Last edited by Analog6; 30-06-2012 at 5:28pm.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. After looking through a number of reviews I ordered the lens from e-Gloal on friday and going by their tracking it was at the local Post Office this morning at 10:24 (The Post Office is 90Km away and the mail delivery lady leaves at 7:30). It will be delivered tomorow, not bad from Hong Kong.
    Keith.