User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  78
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People that fail to post a photo for three months should be automatically banned.

People that don't link back to their website or provide a bona fide identity should be banned

People that don't use Canon should be banned

(one of these answers is a joke)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi gorillagirl
    I'm going to post too ... Some I've been hanging back on
    This thread is having a positive effect
    Cheers Cargo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't give a lot of feedback / advice on here but I do on other forums simply because my genre of photography is rather specific - underwater macro photography - so I know this subject rather well and I am always happy to give some advice to help especially to those new to the hobby.

However, I am more than happy to have people give me feedback because I am my own worst critic and others will see something that I have missed

Karl
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Canon G12 in a Recsea housing with twin YS110 Alpha strobes
    Canon 7D with Sigma 18 - 250mm & 170 - 500mm lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sorted out a dedicated flickr account to have the decent images so I can post a few more now too.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Missionman - you must be Ken Rockwell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Hi gorillagirl
    I'm going to post too ... Some I've been hanging back on
    This thread is having a positive effect
    Cheers Cargo
    Yes I agree. I personally feel very guilty now. I'm definately not experienced enough to comment on too technical aspects of a photo so I tend to only CC in a general way.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CherylK View Post
    Yes I agree. I personally feel very guilty now. I'm definately not experienced enough to comment on too technical aspects of a photo so I tend to only CC in a general way.
    Which is ok!! In fact everyone should have a go and simply say why they like (or don't like) a photo.
    Doing is the best way to learn.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Going Cold Blooded
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Which is ok!! In fact everyone should have a go and simply say why they like (or don't like) a photo.
    Doing is the best way to learn.
    Absolutely!

Thanks everyone for the great discussion and points of view! I didn't expect such a wonderful response!
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    People that fail to post a photo for three months should be automatically banned.

People that don't link back to their website or provide a bona fide identity should be banned

Think'n of Nikon off

- - - Updated - - -

Im falling behind busy giving cc
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    You have all grown on me AP.
    Tinea does similar ------

- - - Updated - - -

I am guessing it is this one ---

Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not posting lately cos I've had the flu for a week, prior to that..rain I think ....and , who knows.....but this weekend I'm out snapping! so will be posting again soon

Maybe sometimes it's the old adage ' those who can't , teach'

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    @Missionman - you must be Ken Rockwell
    Nope. I was his teacher.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have such a good response to this but it's borderline crude and would probably result in a ban.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    I have noticed in a lot of threads, there are plenty of members whom are all too happy to critique or "like" your work but all too often offer nothing of their own. Is it that they feel insecure, embarrassed or generally don't think that their photography is good enough?

I personally have found this site to be a fantastic learning experience and I'm grateful to everyone that has taken the time to teach and impart their knowledge to me to make me a better photographer. I certainly didn't think my photography was very good when I first started here, and admittedly it wasn't But people down know where you stand photographically if they've got nothing to go by right?

I encourage everyone that utilizes this site, to use it to it's full potential. I know I've learnt heaps - take the plunge and throw a few more images to CC!

Photography for me is to record events is my life that are important to me. Getting other people's opinions on those type of photos or on other things I am interested in, is not the way I personally have learnt things. I don't think I am concerned or sensitive about getting a a bad critique because I already know I do not have the "photographers eye". I don't take enough opportunities to take photos to put up anything that I would want to share anyway. I also need to really read my cameras manual so I can change all the settings I need to get the shots I want but at least I have learnt from this forum some of the best settings to use in particular circumstances but for some reason I still haven't done it which is very unusual for me.

Also, I have learnt a lot here from looking at other peoples photos and seeing others cc those photos so that I have learnt some of the features that do make a good photo to the point that I can do a basic cc myself but I have also learnt that opinions about what is pleasing or not is very subjective which is also a good thing. But that has also had a slightly negative effect on me as even when I have the camera with me with the intention of taking photos, I often don't even take any at all, as the shots I want to take are unsuitable for the conditions. None of these are excuses for not putting up more photos but are just the way it is and if that means the administrators and owner decide that I get banned from the forum then that is fine although I hope it does not happen. Forums are usually made up of people communicating about subjects about which they have a mutual interest and that is almost as enjoyable for me as the photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't put up many photos for critique and I don't have much time to critique others' photos either, but I would like to do more of both.
    Many of my critiques may sound a little harsh, but to me, that is what critiques are - trying to give reasons to the photographer and some hints as to how to improve their photos, not just say how wonderful it is.

I'll try and post more, but a lot of the shots I do are product shots, and they would be very borig for people to look at, but I am starting to do more parties and events, and some of the shots from those are more interesting.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have problems giving CC to really bad pics because I hate to deliver bad news. I have yet to CC one of MissionMans images

lol seriously, I try to give and take and think this is the best forum I have not been kicked from yet

Going Cold Blooded
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I don't give a lot of feedback / advice on here but I do on other forums simply because my genre of photography is rather specific - underwater macro photography - so I know this subject rather well and I am always happy to give some advice to help especially to those new to the hobby.

However, I am more than happy to have people give me feedback because I am my own worst critic and others will see something that I have missed

Karl
    It's certainly something I want to get in to - been diving since '96 and always thought about underwater photography but never got around to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I don't put up many photos for critique and I don't have much time to critique others' photos either, but I would like to do more of both.
    Many of my critiques may sound a little harsh, but to me, that is what critiques are - trying to give reasons to the photographer and some hints as to how to improve their photos, not just say how wonderful it is.

I'll try and post more, but a lot of the shots I do are product shots, and they would be very borig for people to look at, but I am starting to do more parties and events, and some of the shots from those are more interesting.
    Exactly, that is why there is a large critique section available, if all you wanted was "nice shot" then post in the not for critique section or whatever. And I think for the most part people are happy to take on that critique - I know I am.
    I have chosen not to limit myself to one photographic style ie: just landscapes. And every time I branch out into other genres I'm only too happy for people to lend me their expertise.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I have problems giving CC to really bad pics because I hate to deliver bad news.
    I agree, giving constructive advice to someone who is in need of a lot of guidance is more daunting than giving a couple of small pointers to those with a better grasp of their photography. I try and start with a positive comment, then get into my suggestions, and finish with a positive comment.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good thread idea Adam. I think there are just as many here that post their photos and not much else. This to me is worse not posting photos and contributing in other ways.

An aside;

Can't decide which of the first two is the joke.
    I don't have a website or facebook thing, or any other public place (to link back to) that you could verify who Mark L is. (though if you look at the Exif from one of my posted photos here, you'll see Mark G. Leary has copyright. But who is Mark G. Leary from Mudgee (I may be posting a friends photos, and I'm not really Mark anybody). I'm not in the phone book!!
    As long as I don't offend, and participate here, .......
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Going Cold Blooded
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Good thread idea Adam. I think there are just as many here that post their photos and not much else. This to me is worse not posting photos and contributing in other ways.

An aside;

Can't decide which of the first two is the joke.
    I don't have a website or facebook thing, or any other public place (to link back to) that you could verify who Mark L is. (though if you look at the Exif from one of my posted photos here, you'll see Mark G. Leary has copyright. But who is Mark G. Leary from Mudgee (I may be posting a friends photos, and I'm not really Mark anybody). I'm not in the phone book!!
    As long as I don't offend, and participate here, .......
    Cheers mate, yeah you certainly do get those that just post their own photos and offer nothing in the way of CC or thanks to anyone else. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast