Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: taking photos at a concert

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

taking photos at a concert

I have asked a group if i can take photos of them at a gig and they kindly said yes as well as giving me a back stage pass awsum.
    Can any one give me tips on settings etc i have 5dmk2 24-105 is the best i have for this and i won't use a flash .
    Cheers.
    the concert is inside so low light at night i was thinking of getting the 50mm mk2 as i think it would be better for low light but it would be great if i can get way with the 24-105.
    Last edited by britinozz; 29-06-2012 at 10:12am.
    Canon5D MK III,Canon 6D,Canon 17-40 L ,Canon 24-70 MKIIL , [/COLOR],Canon 70-200MkII L ,Sigma Fisheye 15mm 2.8 ,Canon 2xMk3 Extender, 430EX11 Flash , Lee Big Stopper & Other Lee Filters.
    Manfrotto 055XPROB + 322RC2 + MBAG80P.
    Critique is allways welcome, Any help and advise will allways be appreciated.

davidwalkerphotography.net

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Daytime/Nightime/Indoor/Outdoor. Please give us as much info about the gig as possible.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Rick i have edited my question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My general thoughts would be shooting in manual, because 1) it probably will be pushing the low end of 'ideal exposure levels' so you'd want contol over where to sacrifice potential IQ for exposure, and 2) there will probably be lots of quite bright and quite dark areas in your images, so getting the exposure to what you want will likely be different from the exposure the camera thinks is right.

I think the 24-105 would be great, is it has IS. I'd suggest starting at f-4, ISO 1600 (your camera can handle that fine, and anyhow it seems that a bit of noise is commonly accepted for concert photos). If you're finding your shutter speed is getting too slow to freeze the motion, bump up the ISO. If your shutter speed is getting too low for handheld shooting but the motion blur is ok, use a tripod or monopod, or put the 50mm on if the focal length is suitable. Oh, and shoot RAW if you can, it'll give you more room to fix poorly exposed images later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raw not just to fix poor exposure, but whitebalance too. Don't use auto whitebalance as the changing light conditions in a concert will affect the balance. Set white balance manually in post.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit worried about the 24-105 being a f4 lens obviously 2.8 would be better but i have to work with what i have so if there are any one out there that uses the 24-105 for concert photography let me know how you go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used a 4.5 - 5.6 in theatre lighting. ISO 1600 or greater is a must, and choosing your moments carefully.

This was shot ISO 1600 1/25th F5.6 in Theatre lighting:

Come with me ..... by rattus1979, on Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for feedback and great image yeh looks great at the high iso.