Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: EOS 650 or 60D?

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EOS 650 or 60D?

OK! The money's saved, the brand was preordained, so what do I purshase a 650 or a 60D?
    As a family we have always shied away from the latest model . We wait until the bugs show up and are fixed. Works well. I have thought to myself this shouldn't apply to a Canon but then I've heard about bad reports regarding the latest Nikon so maybe Canon are no more emune to early bugs.
    SO! I am asking for advice from experienced members. What model should I purchase?
    I am leaning toward the 60D but like the sound of the touch screen.

Geoff P
    Geoff Portbury owns,

EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, my take on what the important difference between xxxxD, xxxD and xxD, xD cameras, is the second control dial on the back. I have a 350D and the way you have to hold down this-and-that-hard-to-locate button to modify the function of the dial means lost shots. My next was a 50D, and it was so much easier and faster to operate.
    Gear monkey and proud. Brisbane.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - agree. Went from a 400D to 50D and there is quite a bit of difference in function. Interface via back screen is more useful, the dial wheel and controls were much more useful and I rely a lot on the LCD screen on the top of the camera which doesnt come with the xxxD models.

For me, I would consider the 7D if you can stretch a little more. Go into a shop and have a play with both - that will help
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First question is, what are you wanting to shoot? That will make a bit of a difference as to the features you might need.

I've gone through a 450D, 7D, 50D and soon a 5D and it depends what I shoot to which I prefer. They will all produce quality images in the right application.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Yep - agree. (snip) I rely a lot on the LCD screen on the top of the camera which doesnt come with the xxxD models.

For me, I would consider the 7D if you can stretch a little more. Go into a shop and have a play with both - that will help
    I have a work supplied Powershot G6 at present and use the top LCD screen on it all the time and that was another draw card for the 60D as you pointed out Mike.
    As for purchasing the 7D,it has taken me a long time to save money enough for a 60D, bag and spare battery. I couldn't wait the extra time.

You guys have been very helpful. Thankyou

Geoff P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    First question is, what are you wanting to shoot? That will make a bit of a difference as to the features you might need.
    (snip)
    See your point etherial. I will be doing a bit of everything I suppose. Really enjoy landscape and portrait but my work has me photographing closeups of flowers, seeds and bugs. Another lens required in the future.
    This will have to be the machine I keep for many, many years so I need to make a good choice.

Geoff P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what you say you want to do, the 60D is actually better.

I have a 7D now, and it is great for birds in flight and the like, because of the fast frame rate. But it's not as good for macro, because the 60D has that great articulated screen. They have the same sensor, so it's these things that matter.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Port View Post
    As a family we have always shied away from the latest model . We wait until the bugs show up and are fixed.
    Apart from this, ask yourself why a 650D would be better for what you need.
    Haven't heard about to many bugs in the not so new (now) 60D. Had mine for a year and the biggest bug is behind the camera.
    As Mike said, it's worth feeling them in your hands if you can.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Geoff, well in that case, don't bother considering the 7D (which you'd already ruled out anyway), the 650 or 60 will more than satisfy your needs. It really depends on your budget, I'm not sure about the difference between the costs of those two these days, but you might be better off going for the 650 and putting money towards a lens. You will have the lens a lot longer than the camera, and between the 650 and the 60, the biggest difference you'll see in terms of image quality will be in the lens. My 450D with a 70-200/4 (only a $700 lens but very good for the price and light years ahead of a kit lens) took some magnificent shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the 650D has a new sensor, even though it is still 18mp, and the 650 uses the Digic 5 processor which should give you better high ISO.
    The fact is that the 650 is a newer generation of camera and while it is a downmarket camera in comparison to the 60D, it benefits from the newer technology.
    I think the biggest advantage is for video as it continually focusses in video mode, rather than having to focus manually all the time, which can be difficult through the rear screen.
    Personally, I would wait for the new version of the 60D, which by all accounts should be out in the next few months anyway, and this will have all the new features of the 650D together with the top LCD and the other features of the current 60D.
    You'll be able to tell when the new 60D is about to be announced, as the price of the 60D will start to go down significantly, just as the price of the 5D2 came down just before the 5D3 was announced.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait for new model

Well, the money is getting hot in my pocket and I do run the risk of "she who must be obeyed" discovering that I have been on a saving spree and coming up with some absolutely essential purchase for the house that will amount to almost exactly what I've saved. But if a new model is immenent I might just sit pat. The $ keep adding up the longer I wait and I just might be able to afford a non kit lens.
    Thanks again for the advice.

Geoff P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Recently Purchased The 650d and i must say its money well spent , my fav features are , the touchscreen lcd screen makes it so much easiar and quicker to change settings, the quality of pics that it produces just on auto mode is awesome and i love it, its not to heavy, and the new processor is great. but thats me and each has there own preference to what they are trying to achieve. my father in law has a 1000d so me and him always compete and try to get better toys to get eachother jealous lol so obviously i bought the 650d went over his joint placed my camera in his camera back and his in mine, as he went to grab his camera he took my camera out thinking it was his and went to take snapshots i sat there laughing, he then came back laughed his ass off called me a prick and to get it out of his face cause its the one hes been begging his wife to get lol love stirring him up
    In Photography, To Me Emotion Is Everything, A Photo That Tells A Story, To A Photo That Speaks To You.
    Capturing The Moment Is What We Seek !!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's always a new model coming and if you wait for it you will never get it. I am trying to talk myself into ordering another 7D as my 400D backup is starting to play up in the shutter department. the rumours abound re a 70D, 7Dii and 8D and there are so many variations it is ridiculous.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are supposed to be some big announcements from Canon towards the end of this month, so maybe wait until then.

Canon can't afford to have their new processor etc on just the lower models in their range for too long, as this may end up eating sales from their more expensive models, so I would expect new models of the 60D and 7D shortly with the same features as the 650D such as touch screens and auto focussing video.

I like taking video with my 60D and 5D3, but only if they are on a tripod. If I'm doing a party however, I use my wife's G1X for video as the continous auto focussing is very handy indeed and I think for most consumers, this will be a very handy feature.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if they release new models at the end of the month the price will probably put them out of my reach and at under $1100 for a new 7D I don't think I could go wrong. As for video in over 2 1/2 years with the 7D I still dont know how to turn it on, that's how much it interests me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Even if they release new models at the end of the month the price will probably put them out of my reach and at under $1100 for a new 7D I don't think I could go wrong. As for video in over 2 1/2 years with the 7D I still dont know how to turn it on, that's how much it interests me.
    That's right for you Speedway, but lots of people like using their DSLR's for video work, especially if they have young kids.
    The continuous auto focussing also works in live view, so it can be very handy.

The big thing about the Digic 5 processor over the Digic 4 in the 7D, is the great high ISO performance and extra FPS, and you can't say that all your shots are taken at 100 ISO.
    That's one thing I'm really pleased about on the 5D3, is the high ISO performance. It's just streets ahead of my 60D thanks ot the Digic 5+ processor.