User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Manfrotto tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manfrotto tripod

I came across this deal, which seems quite a bit cheaper than I found elsewhere, while researching tripods. It appears to be a mid-price bit of kit which has had some quite good reviews.

Have any members had experience with this product or dealings with this store?

If this sort of post is not allowed on the site, please delete and let me know. I have no association with the store involved.

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/p...id=73381#specs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 190XproB and the same head and they are excellent kit.
    That is very good bang for bucks at that price.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vanbar is a reputable place to buy, rest assured.

The 190 however is a small/flimsy(ish) tripod. It's also a bit short/low. It's great to throw in a suitcase, ie for travel, but as a general purpose tripod it's just not quite right IMHO. I'd suggest the 055 over the 190, I have both. The only time I ever use the 190 is when I go away, on holiday, otherwise it doesn't see the light of day, except when attached to a car...

Manfrotto 190:

Manfrotto 055:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 055CXPRO4 (with a 498RC2 ball head) and it is fantastic.... The carbon fibre does help with the weight and this tripod is rock solid with my 5DII, battery grip and long lens. If you are shooting a lot of long exposures, the carbon fibre also helps dampen vibrations better than aluminium. If you are shooting mostly in good light, it should not really matter a lot.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snpsht, perhaps you need to indicate the use that you will put a tripod to. There are many threads on AP about similar questions and quite a few conflicting views on the subject so give us some detail of your camera and lenses, the subjects that you want to photograph using a tripod in order to get some more specific views.

For what it is worth, budget dictated quite a few years ago that the tripod you are looking at should be bought by us. It is still in service and works well for some applications. We are still selling images taken using it. Does it suit all photography styles? No it doesn't but it is quite a capable unit when used within its capabilities.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    Vanbar is a reputable place to buy, rest assured.

The 190 however is a small/flimsy(ish) tripod. It's also a bit short/low. It's great to throw in a suitcase, ie for travel, but as a general purpose tripod it's just not quite right IMHO. I'd suggest the 055 over the 190, I have both. The only time I ever use the 190 is when I go away, on holiday, otherwise it doesn't see the light of day, except when attached to a car...

Manfrotto 190:

Manfrotto 055:
    Sorry to go off topic slightly, but what are the clamps you are using there???
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

I@M....it is really just a general purpose piece of equipment - I paint, and hence will use it as a stable base to photograph some of my work.

It'll also be used to get reference shots for painting - landscapes, clouds, some still life. Plus, I'd like to do some close up work - fungi, rocks and water, although may end up getting a smaller tripod or monopod for that.

However, I suspect I might be hooked on photography and so as i learn more, my preferences might become more specific.

So yeah, at this stage I am after a reasonable, not too expensive but versatile tripod for a relative beginner .

ta for your input
    KIm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using the same bit of kit. You should be happy with it only down side is that it maybe a little short for some applications, but for what you have described it should be great.
    Feel free to edit any of my pictures.
    Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    Sorry to go off topic slightly, but what are the clamps you are using there???
    It's a combination of custom made and off-the-shelf stuff so you can't just go some where and buy it. PM or email me if you want to know more.