Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another thread on prices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thread on prices

So I'm currently portfolio building in child photography and have about 12 shoots lined up, a couple freebies and others on a reduced rate, so I can get some experience in that particular area and have a reasonable portfolio.

I'm now considering what my real prices would be and have....no idea. Everyone says don't undercharge but it seems I can't find any around here that charge more than $200. I've only found about two that seem very good and that charge quite high prices, but that's it.

Do you just charge the market price around your area?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NatalieM View Post
    ...... I've only found about two that seem very good and that charge quite high prices, ....
    Are you very good?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Er, *portfolio building* so *new in that area*.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Work out your costs, the income and the income youd like to make first. Not much use charging $50 if you're loosing money.

Have you established a proper business, registered your company, got public liability insurance ?

In saying all that, $200 is a pretty average shoot & burn type price from what I can see.

Average for pretty decent and experienced family photographers too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm now considering what my real prices wouldbeand have....noidea. Everyone says don't undercharge but it seems I can't find any around herethat charge more than $200. I've only found about two that seemvery good and that charge quite high prices, but that's it.

What are the “Real Prices” and the competitor’s comparative $200 being pricedfor –
    The sitting?
    The interview, prep and sitting?
    The Interview the Sitting and the CD of 6 images or 5 prints ? ? ?

You firstly have to define what it is you are selling.
    Actually - you firstly have to define precisely what is the business, in which you are engaged: and that will then define exactly what it is you are selling and then you can price those items and / or services.

So please then define: exactly what is your business?

WW
    Last edited by William W; 13-05-2012 at 1:39am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you do, before going into this as a business, make sure you have public liability insurance first, when photographing kids... Accidents are more likely than ever and you'll want to be covered 'just in case'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Living the dream...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I already insurance have it as I was photographing dogs so it was a given with those!

From what I can see online, the 'average' price would be $200 which includes the sitting fee, processing etc, and about 10-15 photos on disc.

I find it difficult to work out whether I should act like a 'newbie' because of lack of experience in *this* area, or take into account I do have some years of experience and have been published, won some awards etc. Maybe that doesn't matter because it's a whole different area.

I also feel a bit of pressure from 'photographers' in general to not go too cheap. I do know providing SOME images on disc is going to be a given, I just don't know how many yet.

I think my minimum goal for now would be to have one session a week @ 250 and that would be enough income for me at the moment.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . . I think my minimum goal for now would be to have one session a week @ 250 and that would be enough income for me at the moment.

Thanks for answering some of the questions.

For what you have described, $250 seems to be a good price point.

WW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the pressure in regard to amount of photos to supply, I usually say 8 or 11 depending on price for edited shots up front, as when you click away, they assume that you have heaps and I am always asked for more.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another $90 bucks working with children check
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't actually need that unless you're with kids without their parents supervision, unlikely in photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you charge a sitting fee and charge also for each photo, will that fly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    if you charge a sitting fee and charge also for each photo, will that fly?
    I've been doing some investigating and that would seem to be a popular methodology.

Another might be a combination of the two - you might charge a sitting fee which includes a component that is credit toward prints/photos (e.g. $250 sitting fee, but that includes $50 credit toward photos).

In my opinion that might also psychologically work a little better by demonstrating what the money goes toward, and avoid some "sticker shock" - "$500 including 5 photos" sounds a little steeper than "$250 + $50 per shot" to my ears, although the same result is achieved if the customer orders 5 photos.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that second idea. If you include a $50 print credit as an example, would you just have a list of how much each sized print costs (ie you sell 8 x 10's for $35) and then they choose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, taht's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do know providing SOME images on disc is going to be a given, I just don't know how many yet.
    Why?

If you actually want to make a living (generally more than $250/week if you look at the average - or even the minimum Australian wage) I would suggest you reconsider giving away digital files by default.

As others have stated, you need to know what you are selling. There is ALOT more money in selling artwork for peoples walls than there is in a disc with some files on it.

There was a survey recently (sorry i cant remember by whom - I think it was AIPP related) but the results showed that the average portrait sale was $1000. I have overheads and need to feed my family so this average wouldn't sustain my business. Selling files on a disc doesn't give you much room to maximise the opportunity when a cashed up client comes your way.

Keep asking questions though. Thats a good start.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farquar View Post
    Why?
    Good Question.

For clarity, I understood the OP's statement "to give away some files on disc" as being part of the definition of the business: and the definition of her business, is what my response in Post #8, was based upon.

Also, it is useful to note that "income" of $250.00 per week, is not actually the OP's income, as if it were wages after taxation and other deductions, it is actually the business's weekly turnover.

WW

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You also need to survey and get an understanding of your clientele. For example, no use charging $750.00 in an area of lower income, or $250.00 in Toorak. Your prices have to not only be profitable, but fit with the market you are in. If you find your business model doesn't work for your market area, you need to change your business model, or find a different market to target.

As well as asking photographers, start talking to your potential clients. Ask them what they want!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for things to think about.

Why? Because I know that's what most do want. I don't want to give away the digital files, but I do want to provide at least medium res on disc as part of the fee. I'm just not sure how many etc. I think there is a thread on here about stay at home mums becoming photographers, well even though this doesn't apply to me realistically (already being a photographer), it does actually give me quite an insight into the customer base already. I go to playgroups and swimming and other baby activities and so this gives me an automatic base. I haven't yet figured out what they're willing to pay, but EVERYONE likes images on disc for the simple purpose of sharing on facebook etc. I also think from a marketing perspective in this kind of community, it'll help with word of mouth.

However as mentioned here I don't really know yet how to figure it out to include it without it hurting print sales significantly!

I'll be targeting the surf coast mums (I'm in Ocean Grove, VIC) so there is definite money here.

I'm thinking of doing an A la carte option and then some packages.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why? Because I know that's what most do want. Idon't want to give away the digital files, but Ido want to provide at least medium res on disc as part of the fee.
    My error and it was unintentional:
    I was thinking "giving away" but you originally wrote "providing" - that's noted.
    I assume then, that the price of the“providing” will be in the Sitting Fee.

OK, I do not want to begin a discussion about the source of the info that people want files on a disc from a portrait sitting; or whether even if it is good to provide them with the files.

We'll assume that MOST people do want files and we'll also assume that you want to provide files from the Portrait Sitting, because most people want it.

However as mentioned here I don't really know yet how to figure it out to include it without it hurting print sales significantly!

Well that's the crux of this issue.

You want to provide what (you say) people want: but you also want to sell prints.

So - assuming you book some initial sittings (without the value of facebook networking using disc files) - are you suggesting that once you "provide" for example 15 images on a disc (included in the sitting cost) that you anticipate that the print sales for that sitting would be compromised?

Maybe compromised to the extent that the customer will say: “Oh no thanks,we don't want any prints, if we do we'll just get those files done at the camerashop, we only want postcards anyway."

I'll be targeting the surf coast mums (I'm in OceanGrove, VIC) so there is definite money here. I'm thinking of doing an A lacarte option and then some packages.
    So with “definite money”, wouldn't those mums have a Hi Res P&S or DSLRwith which they take the facebook snaps of their kids?"

Or if those Mums buy 4 - 10 x 8 prints - those "definite money" Mums would have a scanner for the facebook images if they wanted to . .

If you asked those Mums (the "definite money" Mums), "from the portrait sitting do you want me to include digital files so you can post them on facebook?" I agree . . . I bet nearly everyone will say YES!.

Alternatively . . . if your business is really about selling PRINTS . . . ? ? ?

In any case: these points are minutia and just re-iterating . . .
    It would be in your best interests to address the question in post #5: i.e. to accurately Define the Business which you wish to begin.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 31-05-2012 at 3:50pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast