User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

View Poll Results: Which : PHOTO FINISH : Photographer should have won : Episode #2

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marg Gibson : Snow covered slope, with plants and clouds

29 64.44%
  • None of the above

11 24.44%
  • Annabel Ralph : Detail shot of ice on plants

4 8.89%
  • Peter Cagnacci : Waterfall

1 2.22%

Thread: Photo Finish : Episode Two : Landscapes on Mt Wellington

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Photo Finish : Episode Two : Landscapes on Mt Wellington

As per the main discussion thread on this TV show, which photo from last night do you think should have won.

If you have not seen the Episode, it can be viewed over the internet : HERE
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can there be a button for none? I know that sounds harsh but I looooved Peter's shot of the tree (wide angle looking from base up to the top). Why oh why didn't he chose that shot?? I presume that would have looked more like the area and something a bit different to a stock-standard waterfall!!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    Can there be a button for none? I know that sounds harsh
    Done!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked his composition of the tree but it looked like the top half of the frame was badly blown. I didn't fancy his waterfall at all with motion blur on much of the surrounding foliage and blown top of frame. I thought the younger women had a good eye for detail and the other a better sense of capturing a landscape scene.
    Last edited by norwest; 22-06-2012 at 12:31pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been on Mt. Wellington on a cold bleak day - Marg.'s shot brought it all back. Peter's shot was very pretty, but could have been anywhere, and Annabel's although a lovely shot, could hardly be called a landscape.

“He who thinks little, errs much…” L.DV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rafikicat View Post
    Having been on Mt. Wellington on a cold bleak day - Marg.'s shot brought it all back. Peter's shot was very pretty, but could have been anywhere, and Annabel's although a lovely shot, could hardly be called a landscape.
    Dito

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was cringing with Marg's comments.
    "Ive never used a dslr before, I wish I had my iPhone." The best camera is the one with you.
    BUT she came up with the goods. Imagine what level of photos she could produce with her eye for a scene AND some practice on a dslr. I'm impressed.

Daniel
    See my work on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you note Marg was just shooting 1 handed as well??

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the poll Rick.

My vote was for Marge.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping for something a bit more creative from Peter, his portfolio was terrific. He was out of his comfort zone, but his final photo was the very thing he said he didn't want to create; a postcard shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted for Margy's photo, as it was the only one that filled their brief of a "landscape".

I think this show is all about taking people out of their comfort zone and seeing who has that adapability combined with creativity to create something special. I'd love to see what settings etc were used too, as a relative newbie to DSLR's and Photoshop , it could be quite informative.
    Next weeks challenge of a wedding shoot will be worth watching I think.
    I have to say I'm enjpying the show
    I choose to capture my images with bodies
    I share my love using Canon & Sigma
    ** SUE **

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think the shot by Marg was well...pretty average - it certainly to me didn't look like the adjectives used to describe it. Maybe its the way the episode rendered on computer, but it goes to show that judges will have their own conception of what a 'landscape' photo is (and funnily enough the award winning landscape photographer also happened to do a fair bit of the more detailed 'landscape shot' in her portfolio shown). Was disappointed by the blokes focus on the waterfall as I thought he had some reasonable potential to produce something nice. I was most impressed by the icy follage shot. To me landscape is a genre - not a type of shot...and while small scale, her shot conveyed the landscape the best to me. Sometimes in our efforts to get wide and show more in a landscape, we forget that the landscape is made by many details. In her case - she has shown the ice, the cold but still that there was life beneath - thats a landscape in my view, no matter how small the field viewed. I know that differs from alot of people here, but perhaps its just how I view this form of photography.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Marg's shot best but I really got the impression it was a fluke more than brilliant photography. Either that, or it was played with in the aftermath a little bit?

As noted above, I'd love to see the details of each shot too. I think that'd be really good and help the show out.

The waterfall shot was average but okay, I guess. Much better than the awful shots Annabel was taking of her waterfall early on. I did not like those at all. I liked the shot she chose in the end, but have to admit I also wasn't too sure if that's what I call a landscape shot.

Cool poll and enjoyable show.