User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Co-driver/companion wanted - Cairns, Nov 2012 for Total Eclipse of the Sun

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Co-driver/companion wanted - Cairns, Nov 2012 for Total Eclipse of the Sun

Well it looks like I might be able to make it to the Cairns TSE on 14 November this year after all.

The tentative plan is drive up in the van, stay 7 nights - I've booked from the Sunday (11th) to Saturday (17th) - at Glengarry Caravan park/resort at Mowbray which is north of Oak Beach, drive home. The park has vacancies for powered sites, and I have a bed base and all my camping equipment in the van. I use a marquee thingy at the back (see pics here). Free WiFi is available.

I am allowing 4 days to drive up leaving tweed heads on 7 November and arriving Cairns 11 November. That gives a couple of days to scout Oak Beach and alternatives. I plan to so some sightseeing and hopefully have a trip on the Kuranda railway, and do some photography, as I've never been north of Maleny before! Coming back depart am Mon 18 Nov & 3 or 4 days to drive home.

You would need to bring stretcher/sleeping bag/whatever you use (you can set up in the marquee but I'd sure advise being off the ground as it is creepy crawley territory); your cameras/observing gear, some cooking stuff like frypan and a couple of pots, personal items for shower, washing etc.

NOTE: To photograph the non total stages of the eclipse (most of it!) you will need a proper solar filter. Google it online ior have a look on Ice in Space (the fist link in this post) for recommendations. Welders glass/ brown bottle bottoms / big stopper filters and/or stacked NDs DO NOT cut it. A proper solar filter is a MUST.

I have a power board with a light & 3 power points in it, long cords, a worktable (for computers, cooking etc), 2 burner gas stove, gas light, cooking gear, and a couple opf water bottles.

So if anyoner would like to come along let me know. I originally put this up on Ice in Space astronomy forum but it seems there are no takers so I am putting it up on put it on my photo forums now.

I would aks for contribution of 50% of fuel and van park costs (from memory $48 per night so 50% is $24 x 7 nights) & any accommodation costs on route. And buy your own food etc

EDITED TO ADD:

After some quick research:
    1873 kms / 4 = 468km per day

1873 x 2 / 600 = 6.3 tank fuel. Allowing $100 per tank (it may well be less, I filled up for $80 the other day and it was really empty) comes to $630 for fuel. There will be extra for side trips and sightseeing but those will be my call.

Accommodation:
    Glengarry powered site 7 nights @ $48 = $336.
    Accommodation along the way, say $45 per night x 7 = $315.00

UNALTERABLE COSTS: $1300. So half would be $650.
    Last edited by Analog6; 22-06-2012 at 7:41am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have someone from my astro forum. Thanks to anyone who looked and was considering it.