User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  68
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Defects in D800

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand what Arthur is trying to explain here.
    It's always better to show the original frame with the focus point (a capture of the screen for example) and a pixel-size crop of the original file around that focusing zone.

Edit : Mentioning the AF mode is very important as well.
    Last edited by Sar NOP; 10-07-2012 at 8:58pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    If the image of the cat is the one discussed here, and the image is cropped the way that the image was cropped is going to make a difference in assessing how good focus was.
    I suppose when the person says is a 100% crop, does this mean a 100% pixel size and then cropped or is the image 100% of the actual frame?
    If the image was cropped whilst in 100% zoomed view, was the crop made around the central focus point?

As the image is displayed, it looks as tho the centre point focus is on the cat's fur under the ear, whereas the sharpest point is on the cat's eye and inner ear.
    You make a good point Arthur,
    To clarify, when I say 100% crop, the image was shown on screen at pixel level, and a crop was taken of the area around the focus point. In this case, the focus point was on the cat's eye, which you have said appears to be the point of focus, so it shows the -20 adjustment has all but corrected the back focus issue.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifor View Post
    Done some more static tests with my D800 and 24-70 2.8 @ 24mm 2.8: ......Right point is slightly out, centre sharp, left is definitely out.
    This is exactly the pattern of behaviour Mongo has found ie. the middle Ok-ish the right side a little out and the left , way out. Also, it is a very good idea to eliminate the lens having a problem by doing the same test with that lens on another camera body you trust to be right.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to test the lens on another body, however my only other Nikon is a F-501.. however I did confirm my results by focusing via live view - all three areas are pretty much consistent, which would suggest the lens is okay.

The Brisbane Nikon service centre (Anderson Camera Repairs) said they have the ability to fix the focus issue, however I'm still weighing up the possibility that letting them touch it might cause more problems, rather than fixing it. In "real world" use I haven't missed focus yet, so I guess unless I have an issue using the camera it might be best to leave it be.. undecided. Anyway, I'll be in Sydney at the end of the year, so I might let Nikon themselves fiddle with it rather than have a third party subcontractor 'fix' it.

I hope your D800 is working better now Mongo.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Brisbane Nikon service centre (Anderson Camera Repairs) said they have the ability to fix the focus issue, however I'm still weighing up the possibility that letting them touch it might cause more problems, rather than fixing it. .....
    There's always the chance of this happening, but my thoughts are that this would be extremely unlikely.

If there is any anomalous operation of the camera, no matter how insignificant it may seem now, I'd say it's best to get it recitified.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Arthur, if it is broke it should be fixed. I too wouldn't hand mine to a 3rd party contractor. In fact I spoke to Nikon Sydney today, and they will cover mine even though it is grey market from SG. I was surprised they didn't try to make me send it back, but they know how much and what type of Nikon gear I have so it may have helped my case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't been very successful talking to Nikon Australia on the phone... terrible phone line and the operators seem to have a hard time understanding me (and I can't really understand them)... apparently they are going to email me so I can forward them my test shots...yet to receive this email.

The little information that I managed to get out of Nikon Australia was that the focus problem is not recognised by Nikon as being a widespread/global flaw and as a consequence they do not have a single/bulk solution to fix it. They are treating it on a case by case basis and said the information contained on forums and non-nikon websites should be taken at "face value". Once I email them my test shots they will work out a solution..

My intention in calling Nikon Australia was to determine the best procedure to rectify my D800's focus issue - ie either take it to them in Sydney (will be in Syd at end of year) or go to the authorised service centre in Brisbane. I was at first a little concerned about taking my D800 to the third party contractor in Brisbane to fix, however after my telephone experience with Nikon Aus, I'm starting to feel that might be the best option! In any case, the service centre in Brisbane has said that I can wait while they fix it since I live on the Gold Coast and it'll be a 2 hour return trip. Was also told to bring my Nikon 24-70 2.8 lens (I assume to rule out the lens being at fault and perhaps to calibrate it to the body).

Will see where the email from Nikon Australia takes me, if not I'll just take it to the service centre in Brisbane and hope for the best.. hopefully they don't have to strip the camera to get to the part.. complex repairs always concerns me.. wouldn't want it more "broken" than it currently is!
    Last edited by Sifor; 12-07-2012 at 4:05pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post

Mongo has done some preliminary test With this D800 since getting it back yesterday. He can not post all of the test charts but has put these up for your comments. Needless to say, Mongo is still very unimpressed and unhappy. What do you think of the post fix images.

...... Still no change so its not the lens. It is the same as before i.e very bad on the left, OK in centre, not really good on right

...... I was at first a little concerned about taking my D800 to the third party contractor in Brisbane to fix, .....
    Going from how I've read Mongo's thread, I can't see why this would be a concern.

To be honest, I'd say that taking back to Nikon in Sydney would be more of a waste of time, as it may have been for Mongo to begin with.
    (that is if Mongo took the D800 to nikon HQ in Sydney, which is how I'm reading it.

Nup! I'd be much more inclined to trust the Authorised third party service centre, more than Nikon themselves going from some of the information already provided on Nikon's (lack of) enthusiasm for admitting this is a problem.
    I'd expect that the service centre wou;d take more care or pride in trying to provide the best possible level of service to the customer ... mainly for two obvious(to me) reasons.
    1. impress a prospective customer
    2. I'm assuming that they charge Nikon for providing this service. If they were on a performance based system, where customer satisfaction in dealing with issues is used as a measure of performance, then it'd be in their interest to see you off Happier than Larry!!

I'd expect Nikon HQ employees or service techs are probably not interested in results, other than what the Nikon specs say are 'within tolerance'.
    They just get theri pay cheques at the end of the week and want to go to the pub at the end of every week.
    As long as the camera is 'within specs' their job is deemed to have been completed .. irrespective of the fact that YOU are satisfied. They only need to satisfy themselves that they did the right thing.

NUP! ..... I'd be more inclined to trust a third party service provider, than the robots at a service HQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reading about this issue over on Whirlpool and have seen good reports of Nikon AU(NPS) doing a fast, good job or rectifying the problem. That said, on Amazon the reports of Nikon USA certainly didnt reflect those experiences of the Australians ;(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my D800 came back from Nikon Sydney for the AF issue like Mongo. It came back as 'within spec' and no repairs done.

Unfortunately it's still severely back focused, and a few lens are -20 and still back focused. Doesn't seem like a small thing, the D800 is about -25 compared to my other bodies.

Maybe it's time to return it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    Well, my D800 came back from Nikon Sydney for the AF issue like Mongo. It came back as 'within spec' and no repairs done.

Unfortunately it's still severely back focused, and a few lens are -20 and still back focused. Doesn't seem like a small thing, the D800 is about -25 compared to my other bodies.

Maybe it's time to return it?
    I would say so
    http://nikonrumors.com/2012/07/29/ru...ng-issue.aspx/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My D800 definately has back focus issues with some lenses, but not all. My 50mm 1.4 prime for example is -20 and close but not perfect. Other lenses like my 400 2.8 have no such dramas though so i'm not convinced its the D800's fault..
    Brilliant camera so not inclined to see this as a big issue IMHO.. My D7000 for example has exact same issue with the 50mm.
    B)
    Last edited by Burnman; 05-08-2012 at 6:16pm.
    Bernie | D800e | D7000 | D70S Infrared | D200 | D2x

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnman View Post
    My D800 definately has back focus issues with some lenses, but not all. My 50mm 1.4 prime for example is -20 and close but not perfect. Other lenses like my 400 2.8 have no such dramas though so i'm not convinced its the D800's fault..
    Brilliant camera so not inclined to see this as a big issue IMHO.. My D7000 for example has exact same issue with the 50mm.
    B)
    Ummm, Burnman, the thread is all about the L/H AF point problems experienced with some bodies. The issue that you are having with a possible out of whack lens don't seem to match anything to do with the D800 AF problems.

Have you had the 50mm lens checked with Nikon for accuracy on both bodies?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678