Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  68

Thread: Defects in D800

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't been very successful talking to Nikon Australia on the phone... terrible phone line and the operators seem to have a hard time understanding me (and I can't really understand them)... apparently they are going to email me so I can forward them my test shots...yet to receive this email.

The little information that I managed to get out of Nikon Australia was that the focus problem is not recognised by Nikon as being a widespread/global flaw and as a consequence they do not have a single/bulk solution to fix it. They are treating it on a case by case basis and said the information contained on forums and non-nikon websites should be taken at "face value". Once I email them my test shots they will work out a solution..

My intention in calling Nikon Australia was to determine the best procedure to rectify my D800's focus issue - ie either take it to them in Sydney (will be in Syd at end of year) or go to the authorised service centre in Brisbane. I was at first a little concerned about taking my D800 to the third party contractor in Brisbane to fix, however after my telephone experience with Nikon Aus, I'm starting to feel that might be the best option! In any case, the service centre in Brisbane has said that I can wait while they fix it since I live on the Gold Coast and it'll be a 2 hour return trip. Was also told to bring my Nikon 24-70 2.8 lens (I assume to rule out the lens being at fault and perhaps to calibrate it to the body).

Will see where the email from Nikon Australia takes me, if not I'll just take it to the service centre in Brisbane and hope for the best.. hopefully they don't have to strip the camera to get to the part.. complex repairs always concerns me.. wouldn't want it more "broken" than it currently is!
    Last edited by Sifor; 12-07-2012 at 3:05pm.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post

Mongo has done some preliminary test With this D800 since getting it back yesterday. He can not post all of the test charts but has put these up for your comments. Needless to say, Mongo is still very unimpressed and unhappy. What do you think of the post fix images.

...... Still no change so its not the lens. It is the same as before i.e very bad on the left, OK in centre, not really good on right

Quote Originally Posted by Sifor View Post
    ...... I was at first a little concerned about taking my D800 to the third party contractor in Brisbane to fix, .....
    Going from how I've read Mongo's thread, I can't see why this would be a concern.

To be honest, I'd say that taking back to Nikon in Sydney would be more of a waste of time, as it may have been for Mongo to begin with.
    (that is if Mongo took the D800 to nikon HQ in Sydney, which is how I'm reading it.

Nup! I'd be much more inclined to trust the Authorised third party service centre, more than Nikon themselves going from some of the information already provided on Nikon's (lack of) enthusiasm for admitting this is a problem.
    I'd expect that the service centre wou;d take more care or pride in trying to provide the best possible level of service to the customer ... mainly for two obvious(to me) reasons.
    1. impress a prospective customer
    2. I'm assuming that they charge Nikon for providing this service. If they were on a performance based system, where customer satisfaction in dealing with issues is used as a measure of performance, then it'd be in their interest to see you off Happier than Larry!!

I'd expect Nikon HQ employees or service techs are probably not interested in results, other than what the Nikon specs say are 'within tolerance'.
    They just get theri pay cheques at the end of the week and want to go to the pub at the end of every week.
    As long as the camera is 'within specs' their job is deemed to have been completed .. irrespective of the fact that YOU are satisfied. They only need to satisfy themselves that they did the right thing.

NUP! ..... I'd be more inclined to trust a third party service provider, than the robots at a service HQ.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N