User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Trying to get into birding!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to get into birding!

I have a 100-400 on the way, if all goes well I should have it in a week or a bit more.
    Any tips to start? Have read the tips section above, but wondering if you have anything spefic for Perth, or specific for a 60D with a 100-400. Ie, is AI focus the way to go? Any other modes or settings anywhere in the camera I should think about?
    Where would you recommend I go, for someone who is totally new to both bird photography and bird watching, so I don't know that much about either?
    Thanks!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who is also trying to get 'good' birding photos the best advice I can give you is be patient. It is certainly much more difficult to get right than I thought.

As far as settings: There are many good birders out there who will give you some advice but here is my $0.02 as a beginner. I know some prefer Av but I am finding better success in Tv at the moment.

ISO - 400 to 800 - the 100-400 is a great lens but you will need to keep the ISO up to get your required shutter speed.
    Tv - 1600 for birds in flight. Any value (within reason) will be fine for one on land or water.
    AI servo
    Use the centre focus point. - It is tempting to enable all - and that works really well if the bird is in clear sky - but low down with trees etc in frame the auto focus may 'pick' the wrong target to focus on.

Finally, be patient Go out in the first 2 hours of daylight and the last 2 hours. You can get good shots during the rest of the day but I find the light is more pleasing at either end. Often the birds are more active as well as they feed.

Have fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome George,

I too have only been shooting birds a short while. Still coming to terms with the photographic side, but as far as locations, I live south of the city (Shoalwater) so the locations I know are more this way. Penguin Island (not just penguins) Alcoa wetlands Baldivis Bibra Lake. Victoria dam (eastern Hills) & Araluen Botanical park are some of my favouite places.

My bird set on Flikr:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g_bambe...7629036075079/
    Last edited by gbamber; 20-06-2012 at 9:11am. Reason: Added Link
    gb From GB
    C&C is more than welcome, it's encouraged.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi George , I am fairly new to this as well and all I can say that it is very addictive, very rewarding and great fun. Also do give up when its not working for you. (keep at it & practice)
    Some pretty good bird photographers on this forum to get ideas and knowledge from.

Cheers Glen

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been learning for 2 years and am still learning. My basic setup when I set off for early morning is- AV. ISO 400 and F8, if light is low I will go up to ISO 800-3200 to keep shutter speed up or down to ISO 100 if a bright sunny day. The main thing is practice, practice, practice followed by more practice. By the way, be prepared to become addicted and good shooting.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi George, what part of Perth are you in?
    In general, Lake Monger good for ducks etc, Herdsman Lake ducks + raptors, Bold Park is great for bush birds.
    If you want to catch up for a walk, talk and shoot I am available most days during the week and some weekend days.
    Drop me a line if your interested.

Regards Robert
    Canon:- EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 7D, EF 24-105 IS USM Lens, EF 100-400 IS USM Lens, Speedlite 580EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 60D and a 100-400 and find it a good combination.
    However, if you intend to spend a few hours birding, invest in a good tripod with a gimbal mount, or at least a monopod as the lens becomes difficult to hand hold for hours on end.
    This lens is amazingly good for such a long lens, and although I've done very little birding, fast shutter speeds are the name of the day.
    One big advantage the 100-400 has is its "shotgun" zooming.
    It's so easy to pull it back to find the bird than rapidly push it out to zoom in for a close-up without wobbling all over the place as you would with a conventional twist zoom.

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your combo, as it's a very good one.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! Western suburbs.

Great guide Richard, already read it but I'll keep it on hand for future reference.

I don't have the lens yet and I'm flat out with exams for a while unfortunately.

I'm most keen to shoot raptors, if I can find some... I've seen a Harrier and a lot of Ospreys, but never with a long enough lens.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant to say DONT give up

Quote Originally Posted by fisher View Post
    Hi George , I am fairly new to this as well and all I can say that it is very addictive, very rewarding and great fun. Also do give up when its not working for you. (keep at it & practice)
    Some pretty good bird photographers on this forum to get ideas and knowledge from.

Cheers Glen

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I got that. lol

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, got my lens! Took it out for a few shots today, came home with 400. Unfortunately only about 5 keepers, since most were badly focused (I need a lot of practice with this lens!) or nearly identical copies of the same shot.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    400 shots - 5 keepers. Welcome to birding George

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    5's okay and the posted photo's better than okay. fisher said "don't give up." I won't.
    My effort from today....

IMG_1808.JPG