User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Earthquake

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earthquake

Just had an earthquake here in Bruthen. First time ever. Sounds pretty big. Facebook is alive with report from a fair whack of victoria.
    I wonder were the epicentre was.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    5.2 recorded by the USGS
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

western suburbs of melbourne as of 13/5/2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    epicenter was 10km from moe... was felt as far as albury wodonga.
    Canon 50d - 300d backup - 28/135mm IS usm - 50mm 1.8 - ettl flash - Assortmant of other stuff I hardly use
    I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it. ~Author Unknown

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Centered near Moe.

We felt it in Mansfield. Quite wierd.

Regards,
    Rob
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you feel anything down there Rick? It was fairly strong here.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual, I either missed it, or was asleep again!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got it here in Rosebud too, it felt like a really, strong "gale like" wind as the house shook except it was so quiet. In total, including receding tremors, it lasted about 45 seconds (I was watching the clock). I hope no-one has been injured - I read the epicentre was in Moe.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say as I actually felt it here but I happened to be in the fire station at about that time and the large front doors were rattling as if there was a strong wind but the night was pretty well dead still.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning all That one was spread over I big area Thats my third experience, the first two I could hear a rumble like distant thunder as the ground shook but this one had no noise to it and only lasted about 6sec.
    The strange thing is that we are close to the epicenter and reports from callers as far as albury wodonga on the abc radio were saying they felt it for 30sec, I cant work that out.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Did you feel anything down there Rick? It was fairly strong here.
    Nothing down here. We had one several years ago now. I have been in one in Greece as well. The sound is the thing that gets me. Sounds like a train is going to go through your house.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    Morning all That one was spread over I big area Thats my third experience, the first two I could hear a rumble like distant thunder as the ground shook but this one had no noise to it and only lasted about 6sec.
    The strange thing is that we are close to the epicenter and reports from callers as far as albury wodonga on the abc radio were saying they felt it for 30sec, I cant work that out.
    Think about sound waves. As sound goes further from it's source, the waves have bigger gaps between them, an earthquake is the same, at the centre is is often a violent sudden jolt and the further you go away from it, the effect ripples through the earth, so it tends to be felt for a longer time, with less impact, until it dissipates completely.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Think about sound waves. As sound goes further from it's source, the waves have bigger gaps between them, an earthquake is the same, at the centre is is often a violent sudden jolt and the further you go away from it, the effect ripples through the earth, so it tends to be felt for a longer time, with less impact, until it dissipates completely.
    That makes a lot of scene Rick I am on another forum with 1 member that is in Moe, 30k from me and he had a book case topple and other minor things. To me it wasn't a grab the kids and run situation.
    I have to get ready for my first day at work Take care all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lasted probably about 40 seconds for me in Templestowe (Melbourne Suburb). Wasn't too concerned but did suddenly have a rather alarmed girlfriend clinging to me after covering the 2 metres between us in a nanosecond. Felt two reasonable waves with a bit of negative motion, a loud rumble on approach and shaking. Also scared the heck out of my two dogs, they didn't leave my side for the rest of the night and were as edgy as I have seen them. That fault system is reasonably active for Victoria, with a 5.3 (Geosciences Australia) magnitude probably released around 7 Terajoule, or 1.5-2 kilotonne of TNT equivalent . Pretty potent energy release for Australia. Still in the grand scheme of things, not too bad, just an interest on a boring night. Given I work in a department at the university which includes geologists they are reasonably grumpy as people keep on asking them questions...so I am enjoying yanking their chains (typically we get a hard time for weather events in the same fashion).
    Last edited by Xebadir; 20-06-2012 at 9:47am.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that was the cause of the earthquake Xebadir yanking the chain of the geology dept. LOL

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boolarra Vic. I am sure has been active for the last few years. Around 2 year ago while working in Moe we felt a small tremor and I am positive there has been one since then.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    did suddenly have a rather alarmed girlfriend clinging to me after covering the 2 metres between us in a nanosecond.
    ..... and I suppose you didn't think to use this once in a lifetime opportunity to say to her "did the earth move for you too darling?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I went with "What can I say, you rock my world." that was the great thing about the length of the earthquake, gave me plenty of time to get witty

I seriously wonder if anyone tried to use it as a pick up line in a bar somewhere...would've been a classic. The permutations are endless.