User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  20

Thread: Know thy Laws...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Know thy Laws...

This was on tonight. It's about a gold coast professional photographer who didn't quite get it right....

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/84...des-neighbours

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tend to not watch ACA/TT etc cause their one sided reporting is pathetic. Nothing like creating a one sided view to get the viewer irate and yelling at the TV. I really feel this sort of gutter television is not worth the electricity it uses to broadcast it. I feel sorry for the photographer (even though I have not watched the article), cause chances are this could have been resolved without the need for trash national tv to be involved and sensationalise it.
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-06-2012 at 1:25pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Rick. Not the most pressing issue in the world really. It does however highlight what can happen if you don't make sure youve covered all bases when dealing with people, especially with story hungry journalists running around.

Thought it might be useful to share for that reason. I take no sides. Just sharing the story.

When you run a business.....know thy laws. That's all.
    Last edited by Kerrie; 19-06-2012 at 8:50pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched it, as you mentioned Rick the attack was directed towards the Photographer.

The "Tog" agree'd it was an error on her behalf and took the images offline, BUT the parents still wants the original images...Yeah, so PAY for them.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't even repeat anything i'd heard on either of the two nightly gutter shows and i'd trust a cornered tiger snake more than i'd trust them to be truthful. Sensationalistic and opportunist filth is too good a description for them.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere in photo land, I hope this post served someone in a positive way. Even if only to highlight why it's important to be aware of what can and can't be done without ramifications - of any kind, from any one.

Next post - cute fluffy kittens.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with all of the above re ACA and similar gutter programs. A bit of a mistake a "Pro?" posting them on red bubble, no pro would. But if they havn't paid for the photos they are not entitled to them.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people (professional and amateur) use Red Bubble as an online portfolio but you can elect not to actually have the image for sale.
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    both those shows have absolutely no interest to me , although I appreciate the irony of them attempting stories regarding ethics, still not my cup of tea though.
    My Image Policy: Feel free to comment or edit as you wish.

Rebel XT
    Canon 18-55 kit
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG macro
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX APO HSM
    Sigma 150 f2.8 EX APO Macro DG HSM
    Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM
    Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 APO
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super

http://spacejunk2.deviantart.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do believe this particular program on ACA did however make it very clear that we can't sell our photographs if we don't have the model releases. Being an amateur photographer all of this information is valuable. So then where can I find some good links to information about photographic copyright and also how do journalists manage to use photos without model releases?? Sorry but I'm fairly new to the world of copyright and photography.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How dose a paparazzi get a "model release"
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kidazzle View Post
    I do believe this particular program on ACA did however make it very clear that we can't sell our photographs if we don't have the model releases. Being an amateur photographer all of this information is valuable.
    I believe this is wrong. I'm sure a pro-tog will chime in, but model releases are only required when the image is used for promoting a product.

I haven't read the article but in general
    1) TV always gets photography issues wrong
    2) Knowing thy laws doesn't help because everyone else doesn't know them, including the cops who invariable get called

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ACA gets it wrong a again. If the tog takes a photo and does not receive payment for the shoot, the copyright remains with the tog. So ya think a wedding tog is going to hand over the pics to the bride and groom with out seeing the dosh?? I don't think so Tim! The goods aren't yours till ya pay! So demanding the photos are yours having not paid, and after you have taken the story to ACA is just not going to happen. Just some more pathetic journalism by ACA. The tog did the neighbour a favour by taking them down, but still comes out looking like the bad guy. The model release is a grey area here as I believe they thought they were doing "each other a favour" at the time of the shoot, and I wouldn't be surprised if something else has turned the relationship sour before this. I think this is a learning experience for all of us, and it seems that a contract and/or release will be necessary even if money doesn't change hands. I don't think there would be much of a market to third parties for that photo anyway it was more likely "an example" image. I think a lot of the comments in that story were taken totally out of context just to make the tog look bad.
    D7000, D300, Nikkor 50mm F1.4D, Nikkor 18-200mm, Tokina 11-16mm F2.8, Sigma 8mm F3.5, SB800, 3x SB600

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    I believe this is wrong. I'm sure a pro-tog will chime in, but model releases are only required when the image is used for promoting a product.

I haven't read the article but in general
    1) TV always gets photography issues wrong
    2) Knowing thy laws doesn't help because everyone else doesn't know them, including the cops who invariable get called
    Correct. A model release is only needed if the photo is used for 'commercial gain'. So being used on the side of a bus to advertise a product, etc. But it also means a photographer putting it on their facebook page could be considered 'commercial gain', in that the photo is being used to demonstrate the photographers skills, and from that photo, gain more work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A storm in a teacup. I've been a television producer for over 30 years and this story is fair game. Bottom line. The tog took photos of her neighbours child with a dog (with permission of the parent) but just didn't bother to tell the parent her intention to sell. Unfortunately for her the child or the parent found the photos on Redbubble. The tog was probably bragging about them (supposition). So the tog got what she deserved. No different to any other petty theft.
    Of course, the tog will come out way ahead. No pro-photographer could get that sort of advertising (togs van was in picture most of the segment) for less than a years wages.
    Moral to this story is to share the spoils with the victim and you get no complaints. Only people to make money now are the lawyers and they won't be too interested because of the amount involved and most animal togs are stony broke.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.