Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon fibre warning

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't comment on boats, although a valid question, but it is all to do with the make up of the composite product, i.e the number of fibers to resin as to its strength and how the water affects it.

But it is also the surface treatment, if you lay water on a finished surface it is unlikely to do any damage to the structure, however leave water on a cracked or unfinished end and due to osmosis you will find water making its way around the structure.

(it has been a few years since I was at uni, I have to admit!)

The thing with CF is that it is designed to use, i.e the lay up process is very specific to the end product, so the process for a boat will be different to a plane wing or tripod leg. Also my understanding is that it is mainly Glass reinforced plastic rather than the more expensive and harder to manufacture CFRP (Carbon based composite).

After a bit of digging apparently blistering of the GRP in boats is also a problem! So there you go....something new everyday. However as boats are made of a lot more layers than your average tripod I don't think it would be a problem!
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For boats, it depends on the resin used. Many fibreglass and carbon fibre components are fine if designed for use in water. Those with resin that is too porous or has been machined at one end (ie, tripod) will not protect against water.

About the aluminium, in humidity or fresh water, even scratched and chipped aluminium is fine. Salt water and dissimilar metals (eg, brass or steel screws in aluminium legs) cause the excessive corrosion, but only with prolonged contact. Rinsing soon after with fresh water should be fine, and purely aluminium and plastic/resin with no dissimilar metals is even better.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manfrotto carbon fibre tripods and monopods come with a plastic "spanner", that is clipped to one leg, specifically for tightening/loosening the screws that hold the clip fasteners onto the legs. I would suggest that they have that there for a reason, possibly due to the clips loosening or tightening, and you should periodically adjust them to suit. I think that the "cracked CF tripod phenomenon" in the link is not so comment, but caution and periodic maintenance should be carried out. I would suggest that you may need to take the tripod apart from time to time, using the supplied "tool", especially after water immersion, and give it a clean and dry. This would be a good idea regardless of water immersion as sand and grit etc can get into the legs and ruin the smooth function of the legs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Thanks for the info Roo.

So almost certainly water will get inside a tripod leg tube if submersed for an extended time(as you would as a landscaper), but I'm assuming that water damage to cf is a problem if the water was present for a prolonged period, rather than occasionally and then dried out.

That is, it would be ok if soaked for a very short while and then drained, but if the cf was exposed to water continuously, ie. soaked, over a period of time, that's when the cf starts to fail.

Also, if the tripod leg did in fact allow water into the tube, the water would(could) remain in the tube if not drained, but the water would remain at the bottom of the tube, not near the clamp so high up.
    If water filled the inside of the tube up to the level of the clamp, then it'd be quite obvious to any user!!

One thing I remember is that water is quite a powerful solvent too .. but only really over a prolonged period of contact/saturation.

How do fibreglass marine vehicles .. boats!! grapple with the problem?
    They have a gel coat covering the fibreglass.
    Last edited by Lance B; 19-06-2012 at 5:44pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    How do fibreglass marine vehicles .. boats!! grapple with the problem?
    It isn't a problem.

Whilst I don't have a carbon fibre boat ($$$$$) there a plenty around, mainly racing yachts. I do have a carbon fibre water ski though, which funnily enough gets wet quite often. Plus fishing rods as mentioned above.

My guess is impact damage or over tighteneing. Carbon fibre doesn't like stress like that. Once cracked it could 'wick' as Gerry said and absorb water, which would amplify the problem, but water in itself wont hurt it. The crack would have come first, then the swelling.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 20-06-2012 at 2:48pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still wouldn't give up my Cf tripod for anything else!
    Nothing beats them, not only for lightness, but for sturdiness too.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I still wouldn't give up my Cf tripod for anything else!
    Nothing beats them, not only for lightness, but for sturdiness too.
    Agreed. My Manfrotto 055CX3 is a beauty!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George Edwards View Post
    On the other hand, aluminium that is not anodised can be damaged by high concentration salt water (Sea water will sometimes be enough), despite it's resistance to normal corrosion. Beware of long exposure of aluminium to salt water! You're better off with CF than aluminium in salt, though if you wash them well each time, you'll have no problem with Al.
    Agreed, i work at an aluminium company and you wouldn't belive how many people come back whinging about corrosion due to salt water. My new DIY pano head has been anodised to 25um (which is recomended for houses <1km of the coast) and will cop a serious washing after every use near the beach.
    Website - www.dylanbenton.com.au

Equipment -
    Canon 5dMk2 | Canon 40D | Canon 17-40L f4 | Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG Macro | Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS II USM |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, salt water is evil stuff... Not even boat owners or high quality aluminium and CF fishing gear (I have both and always wash the Al well, though the CF is usually fine) leave their things unwashed after use. Just wash everything, including interior spaces, and you'll be fine. Leave salt water on anything (Even stainless steel) and it can corrode.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh the woes of CF... a mountain biker from way back the dream material was always titanium, but CF was alway a good weight saver. the problem being that if you chip the resin or it gets a deep enough scratch water can get in and cause al sorts of havoc. its a brilliant material if handled correctly tho and for most ppl it will be ideal. I had a friend who made a fork brace for his MTB and it worked great, but he didnt spend enough time sealing it with resin and well.... one day it sorta fell apart. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of corrosion on Aluminium, Staining or like rust/decay type of thing I dont have any at all , And most days it's in the water (Salt) Just wondering cause I'm up for a new tripod , But only due to the plastic pan head wearing out and getting wobbly after 5 yrs of use like this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by William; 22-06-2012 at 4:16pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aluminium corrosion is like rust Bill, Hmmm Think about old aluminium window frames, they get white powdery rust type spots on them, how's that for my tech no how
    I think if you are on a budget stick with the alloy and if you can avoid scratching the coating and give it a light spray with fresh water after every salt bath it will out last the head I recon Bill.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dave , I probably dont give mine a chance for the powder to form I was thinking, Gets used every day , And I do occasionally wash it under the showers at the beach as I'm finished , Like your technical wording though Dave , Thanks mate
    Last edited by William; 22-06-2012 at 5:19pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth thinking about anyway when i upgrade from my ten dollar dicksmith tripod one of tthese days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The corrosion depends on a lot of factors. Stress (Set your leg clips too tight), dissimilar metals (steel screws in aluminium), prolonged exposure (not washing), damaged coating, etc. If it's anodised and not left in a damp environment, unwashed, then it should be fine. Surface corrosion is not a problem with Aluminium, as it forms a protective layer (All dull looking aluminium surfaces are "corroded", most products are designed to do this), it's only at screw holes, joins etc where you get problems. Most likely will be that your legs will seize up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12