Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy grey?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought through DWI.
    Thanks again for advice. All was helpful.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn that was fast!
    I ordered wednesday night and received package yesterday arvo.
    Thanks DWI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just received my 7D from DD Photographics. It took 7 days from ordering which is right on the outside of their quoted processing and shipping timeframe.
    Here's the chronology
    Sunday ordered
    Thursday I emailed asking when
    Received email saying will be packaged Friday and given to courier for Monday delivery (no courier deliveries on weekends).
    Monday Received 7D

I've been waiting but I'm happy. Now just waiting for the battery to charge before having a play.
    See my work on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of ordering a 5D Mk III from DWI but a little worried about their stock having the canon 'light leak' problem, not sure if it's older or newer stock that they have

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was worried about the same thing when I ordered mine from eGlobal. One person said they have "no idea, it depends on Canon", and the next said, "they won't be affected".

I've since received it and the serial number is a "3" which aren't affected, so all good.

Edit to add, I've also seen online that people are reporting getting a "6" in the last month, so I would imagine the bulk of the problem units have gone through the system, especially with places like DWI or eGlobal which would have a decent turnover.
    Last edited by etherial; 16-07-2012 at 7:30pm.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess eGlobal being the same company as DWI would mean their supply should be ok too, Only reason I'd choose DWI over eGlobal is they have a local office in Australia and contact info for warranty purposes instead of Hong Kong. Also I hear you need a landline phone to order from eGlobal which I do not have :-)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Warning: Please watch where some of the posts in this thread go. Members with under 30 days membership and/or 50 posts are not allowed to promote or complain about companies/products/service.

Please refer to the site rules, in particular rules 3-7.

"It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that was directed to me, sorry ricktas. I'm actually looking for advise, I've never purchased anything from either company so can't promote or complain about anything ...yet :-)

That being said I will watch more closely what I type :-)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The landline phone thing is a security thing in their ordering system And I was told by them to enter a fake number such as 0312345678 and then in the notes to seller tell them that you dont have a landline number and enter your mobile number.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox View Post
    I guess eGlobal being the same company as DWI would mean their supply should be ok too, Only reason I'd choose DWI over eGlobal is they have a local office in Australia and contact info for warranty purposes instead of Hong Kong. Also I hear you need a landline phone to order from eGlobal which I do not have :-)
    You mean eGlobal is the same type of company as DWI do you? Or are they related.
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flashc, I'll PM you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    The landline phone thing is a security thing in their ordering system And I was told by them to enter a fake number such as 0312345678 and then in the notes to seller tell them that you dont have a landline number and enter your mobile number.
    Keith.
    Excellent, thankyou for the info

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess that was directed to me, sorry ricktas. I'm actually looking for advise, I've never purchased anything from either company so can't promote or complain about anything ...yet :-)

That being said I will watch more closely what I type :-)
    No, I have removed several posts in this thread since it started. It was not directed specifically at any one member.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Flashc, I'll PM you
    be careful, messages sent via the PM system are subject to the same rules as the rest of the site! I suggest you have a read of our rules!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread and like some i have also purchased online but!!, try your local camera store prior to going online as they or most of them will come somewhere close to the online price allowing for the rent, wages etc,etc and at days end if you can purchase aprice say within eg say canon 7D online one will pay somewhere around the $1300 dollar mark and last wekk i was quoted a price of just under $1600 for the same camera with the willingness to talk turky come crunch time to buy.
    Now that to me would be personally the best way to go especially if at days end i had a problemo arrise with the camera as i could just take the camera back to the store, hand it over the counter and with a please attatched to the camera they would send it away for me under their warrent policy whereas buying online most times its your resposabillity to have it posted there and back and the cost could very well be at your expence.
    Give you a wee example.. mate recently purchased a Flash unit for his 7D and i also as well as a couple of mates for the same Flash unit.. All bar one have worked just fine to date with this particular mates flash giving up the ghost when he went to use it at night on a cold night too!!??...Cause unknown??, got back to supplier and they told him "yes it was under warrenty, but his responsabillity to get it to them and back" ...
    Cost of sending there and back plus insurance would make it cheaper for him to purchase another one!!!. In the meantime he said "St%ff yous and purchased a canon flash localy hoping same thing didnt occur again.
    Noy saying not to purchase online/Grey but just shop around , ask, and do your homework first...
    I have purchased ample online and so far the only thing i have had to complain about is a five dollare remote which to date has not arrived but for that price i havent lost sleep over..
    All else so far i have no complaints.
    Again when i purchased my 5D11 and lens i did as previousely advised and purchased locally the saving that i would have had online did not outweigh the loss of sleep regarding "had i had a fault now or later with the camera, But my Birding lens !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Huge difference!!!!!!!!!!! so purchased online..
    Lot of ranting maybe but hope this may help some before purchasing...
    Cheers
    We didnt inherit this land, we merely borrow it from our Children

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papou View Post
    Interesting thread and like some i have also purchased online but!!, try your local camera store prior to going online as they or most of them will come somewhere close to the online price ......
    mmmm. Wish all of us had a local camera store and not a national retailer with no competition, who therefore refuses to be competitive.
    FWIW elsewhere on AP is some current discussion possibly relevant here http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...alian-retailer

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papou View Post
    Interesting thread and like some i have also purchased online but!!, try your local camera store prior to going online as they or most of them will come somewhere close to the online price allowing for the rent, wages etc,etc and at days end if you can purchase aprice say within eg say canon 7D online one will pay somewhere around the $1300 dollar mark and last wekk i was quoted a price of just under $1600 for the same camera with the willingness to talk turky come crunch time to buy.
    Cheers
    Like mark I also wish I had a local camera store, for me to visit 2-3 camera stores at a minimum would cost me around $300-$350 and to do that I would have to leave home at around 5:30 am travelling 3 1/2 hrs. before I got to the city where the shops are located followed by 1 1/2 hrs. in each shop, another 2 hrs. travelling and parking between all 3 shops that's 10 hrs. and I haven't got the camera yet which we add another hr. Plus breakfast, lunch and dinner,another 2 hrs. then 3 1/2 hrs to get back home. That's a 16 1/2 hr. day travelling 650-700 km minimum. For warranty returns and pick ups I would still be up for the postage, insurance etc. or 2 further trips the same
    I think I will keep doing my research and shopping on line. The only camera/lens I had a warranty claim for was my 400D purchased from a Melbourne city store. I had to pay postage and insurance to Canon and it took 3 weeks.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JB-HI-FI Does grey import, and its JB High-Fi.... So its defiantly trusted. Not a huge range though since last time I checked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW

There was another local store around once selling cameras and hi-fi gear. I think it's gone forever out of business.

I did buy my Canon G12 from an Australian retailer in Melbourne because of the great customer service I received . Cost me $50.00 more than online but that's $50.00, not $500.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought from Digital Rev too and they are good. I currently use Cameras Direct on the Gold Coast as I can go to the store, but they do mail order as well. I purchased my Canon 50mm f1.8 there for $99 last month.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by algywt View Post
    JB-HI-FI Does grey import, and its JB High-Fi.... So its defiantly trusted. Not a huge range though since last time I checked.
    JB Hi-Fi removed their online Grey store several weeks ago, without any advice or even comment from the company. Have a look at their website..it is no longer there. Speculation is that Canon, Nikon etc had told them they would not supply them anymore if they continued, but no word from anyone in the know, however their 'direct' option is no longer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast