Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fairfax Media Job Cuts

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A recent summary of who owns what at the moment.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/blogs/117...stralian-media

Lot's of inbreeding & lack of independence by the looks.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one bites the dust http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ente...626-21069.html

and while on the topic of media ownership, lets not forget Australia's largest producer of magazines (from social to sport) ACP who are controlled by the channel 9 conglomerate....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I reckon it will not be long and we will see agencies like Slattery and SMPImages suffering as well. After all, the print media is realising it can get stuff done cheaper, and it can hire a few weekend warriors and dump the imagebank, type sites and get good photos at half the price.

Get rid of the journalists, photographers and rely on the public to send them free stories and picshers.
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-06-2012 at 7:42pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the AFL (CA, TA, NRL, V8 etc.) were smart they would allow amateurs to take any lenses they liked and only allow public publication via an AFL online editorial service.

They could save $$ and make $$ at the same time. It's just a different business model.

SMP, Slatterry etc. would need to adapt.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats actually not a bad idea Kym and could work well if they put a plan in place. But the question would be how would the organizations (TA CA NRL V8's etc) be able to stifle out siders from doing what they want thus else where with the images and therefore missing their cut of the $$$ pie from those images. Interesting thought though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People post their photos from these events on facebook, flickr etc as it is. There is even a website run out of Melbourne that sells AFL/NRL, Australian Tennis Open and even some of the baseball from Melbourne and Sydney etc images printed onto mugs, clothing etc, and it is not part of the official channels of these organisations. I have looked at it several times and wondered how it wasn't closed down and the photographer taken to court.

So it happens anyway, so these organisations could just free it all up, but take the very best photos they get for their own marketing, supply to print media etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im launching an agency alternative quite soon. Free coverage of all sporting events for all media clients and the sporting organizations. I have experienced but not fulltime photographers lined up in every capital city and am negotiating with various sporting bodies. The photographers will shoot for free but will importantly retain copyright and be able to use their photos for commercial purposes.

I'm going to make the agencies redundant
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have to learn how to adapt to the ever chaging world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hardest thing is forecasting where things are going to be in 5 years !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather be a journalist than a photographer by profession. Published short stories increased three-fold last year, be it print or digital and earnings increased significantly. As has been documented here and other places the need for professional photography and its value has more than halved. Just a little bit of each will do fine, thanks.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think providing ready to publish pieces are the go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We already have the ready to go journalistic pieces now available to all print and electronic media outlets through the wire service - AP AFP AAP BPA and many more all produce package story/image pieces ready for print and have done so for a very long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who's "we" ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuey View Post
    We already have the ready to go journalistic pieces now available to all print and electronic media outlets through the wire service - AP AFP AAP BPA and many more all produce package story/image pieces ready for print and have done so for a very long time.
    "We". Hey Stuey, you're not Rupert or Gina in disguise, are you? Packaged stories are the staple of most media and have been since day one. The value is to be a creative writer that can produce a worthwhile story before being asked and know where to put it. That's the money game.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol redgum. nope i wish then i wouldnt be here to all hours some times just to pay the bills. Just a humble back bencher one is. I agree with your statement "The value is to be a creative writer that can produce a worthwhile story before being asked and know where to put it. That's the money game." how ever as deadline looms each day and text boxes still havnt been filled its so easy to go the wire service way and just lay a pre-written AAP story in the box. as you know time is not of the essence within that industry, thus meaning sometimes the quick and easy wire service is the easiest way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly dont believe you Stuey, sorry, why don't you admit that you are current working sport photojournalist ? You seem to know far too much about the industry not to be in it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I honestly dont believe you Stuey, sorry, why don't you admit that you are current working sport photojournalist ? You seem to know far too much about the industry not to be in it
    Kiwi, Stuey just said that (almost) but it's hard work creating a new story when you can drag it off the wire already prepared. He prefers to cover full blooded policy statements by the opposition (wire) but they're rare.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[top]Interesting read about Getty going up for possible sale again.
    Getty Images owners consider sale or IPO

The owners of Getty Images, the world’s largest distributor of stock photos, video and other digital content, have retained bankers to examine a possible sale or public offering of the business they took private four years ago for $2.4bn.
    Hellman & Friedman, the US private equity fund, is working with Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase, five people familiar with the plans said, adding that a sale or IPO could value the business at as much as $4bn.

The move comes as interest in the sector has been piqued by other sales.
    Last week the private equity fund Kolhberg Kravis Roberts took a 50 per cent stake in Fotolia, a stock photography manager, in a bid to consolidate the fragmented marketplace for licensing online digital images and videos.
    The Fotolia deal came as its owner TA Associates looked to sell a stake in the business it had acquired in 2009. The Boston-based fund will retain just under a third of the shares following KKR’s investment.
    The investment in Fotolia came in the same week as rival Shutterstock, with 19m images for sale, filed papers to raise $115m in a yet to be priced New York IPO, which is being led by Morgan Stanley.

The rest of the article can be read here - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/589b94b2-a...#axzz1yxigugxJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Kiwi, Stuey just said that (almost) but it's hard work creating a new story when you can drag it off the wire already prepared. He prefers to cover full blooded policy statements by the opposition (wire) but they're rare.
    actually, "stuey" didnt answer my question at all

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Stuey knows more than the rest of us, apparently, so perhaps you're correct. Upwards of 80 posts without posting a shot is strange though. Maybe the shots would give away his identity while wanting to remain incognito.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast