It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warning: Do NOT get personal!!
    This thread is on the edge!!

Temporary Bans may apply if the thread degrades any further.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely it doesn't matter what Stuey is or does? All he is saying is that anyone (within reason and preferably a journalist) can file a story (with photo if you like) without writing a word or pressing a camera button (off the wire). A major part of newspapers is written this way and the editor may never meet or talk to the author or photographer. The story is "filed" and the creator paid money and it could be released anywhere. But the level of money for this sort of article is peanuts (hardly a wage if you like). Journalists/photojournalists who specifically create articles get paid considerably more but of course with greater risk (of not getting paid).
    There's little money in newspaper photography - a good deal more in corporate and commercial magazines but still hard work.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it matters. Anyhow I've made my point, it's up to others now
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting read from the Guardian Newspaper in the UK about the massive decline in newspaper staff togs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/gree...theindependent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So true, Stuey. From a business perspective why would you want to employ photographers when there's such a plethora of wannabee's out there that can do it for nix. And the fact that you may be employed doesn't make you better, just a little smarter. The article simply makes the point that skills like photography are no longer stand-alone. You just have to be multi-skilled and in the print media if you can't write/negotiate/edit there is little chance of even a short career.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    So true, Stuey.
    Redgum, have a look at Stuey's membership status and then think about the meaning behind "truth" ------
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @ redgum, Stuey was not who he was pretending to be:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...n-Rockies-2011
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got little concern for Stuey or others here that are focused on the individual - be that as it may - in this case his story from the "Guardian" is relative and factual and that's what I commented on.
    It is a little disappointing that it took this site so long to pick up on Stuey's so called credentials (notwithstanding the alleged dishonesty).
    One thing you learn in journalism is that dishonesty is not complete.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    I've got little concern for Stuey or others here that are focused on the individual - be that as it may - in this case his story from the "Guardian" is relative and factual and that's what I commented on.
    It is a little disappointing that it took this site so long to pick up on Stuey's so called credentials (notwithstanding the alleged dishonesty).
    One thing you learn in journalism is that dishonesty is not complete.
    We had been watching him for some time, but without proof (or a site rule breach) we cannot just go around banning members for no good reason. Once we had that information, we acted. Once he/she posted photos, it was fairly easy for me to find out more details and gave us the proof we needed. If we just started banning people cause we thought they might be up to something, we would then be accused of over-moderation (which we are at times anyhow).

I agree that the purpose of this thread, and the links to the various news/media articles is a worthwhile discussion, so lets all get back to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow this is so messed up I'm happy I don't work for Fairfax anymore!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - you go away for a few days... - just did 2 full days with the local fairfax paper - the reason i;m getting some casual work is that a photojounalist left - he was probably 70% Tog 30% journo - they replaced him the a 70% journalist / 30% tog and now one of the 2 main togs is going on long service - so being available sometimes during the week - i'm getting some fill in - having worked 2 full days and 2 1/2 days - bit of an eye opener in how it all works . Jobs on the 1/2 hour - 30 mins for downloading before lunch and an hour for downloading and captioning in the afternoon. I'm enjoying it but wouldn't want to do it full time - the mony is Ok - casual hourly rate - won't make me rich but winter in Orange is my quietest time - very few weddings or family portraits (cause is so bloody cold...)

- - - Updated - - -

I meant to add - the Central Western Daily produces 6 papers a week Mon-Sat - has only 2 FT Togs now and a pool of casuals that mainly cover socials and weekend sport.
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123