Thread: 5D3 in-camera HDR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5D3 in-camera HDR

I decided to do something with a tiny bit of thought for my first few photos with the 5D3. This is an example of the in-camera HDR feature and I was curious as to see how it worked. As Dylan (dtoh) has shown in another thread, it's not something to be used all the time but I can certainly see some advantages in creative areas. Sure does have the potential to save a lot of work in pp. One downside (for what it's worth to some) is that it actually takes an extra shutter actuation to create the final in-camera image. I guess that can be weighed up against time in pp.

Not an image I would call a keeper but was fun and I satisfied a piece of my curiosity.

Shot hand held

Settings were:-
    No. Exposures: 3 frames
    Dynamic Range: +/-3 EV
    Effect: Art Vivid
    ISO: 100
    Picture Style: Landscape
    White Balance: Cloudy
    Image Quality: S2

Only post work was quick level adjustment & auto correct in Microsoft Picture Manager. Nothing flash. Just wanted to see how the HDR thingy worked.

5dMkIII First Photos - 20120617 012 by Roy Wales, on Flickr
    Last edited by selaw; 17-06-2012 at 3:36pm.

Roy

5D MkIII gripped; EF 17-40 f/4L; EF 24-105 f/4L; EF 50 f/1.8; EF 135 f/2L; 580EXII; Manfrotto 055XPROB & 308RC ballhead; Computrekker Plus AW
    My Photobucket / My flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. It does have the HDR look to it, so I guess it has done it's job. Some may say it is too unnatural, and that because you can see it is HDR, then it is overdone. I like the photo that you took though!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it , it doesn't look over done.
    Nice image
    Canon5D MK III,Canon 6D,Canon 17-40 L ,Canon 24-70 MKIIL , [/COLOR],Canon 70-200MkII L ,Sigma Fisheye 15mm 2.8 ,Canon 2xMk3 Extender, 430EX11 Flash , Lee Big Stopper & Other Lee Filters.
    Manfrotto 055XPROB + 322RC2 + MBAG80P.
    Critique is allways welcome, Any help and advise will allways be appreciated.

davidwalkerphotography.net

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice image.
    this has the same issue i have with the k7 in camera hdr and that is the halo around the edges where sky meets trees.
    like you say, it has its place, but not to be used too often
    cheers
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    nice image.
    this has the same issue i have with the k7 in camera hdr and that is the halo around the edges where sky meets trees.
    like you say, it has its place, but not to be used too often
    cheers

Yep, first thing I noticed and first thing I don't like about some of these kind of HDRs. Luckily, there is a natural setting also. Assuming the same for the Pentax?