User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Best option for salt water damaged camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best option for salt water damaged camera

Well this morning wifey and I were up at the crack of dawn, hoping to get a nice sunrise shot but unfortunately, one of my beloved D300's and my fav lens, Tokina 11-16mm, hit the water!! Id rather not go into how, let's just say I have a VERY sheepish, used to be interested in photography, wife.

It was only in for a matter of seconds, but I doubt that matters. I quickly rinsed the salt water off both camera and lens, and removed both the battery and CF card which were dry, then towel dried both body and lens.

Has anyone else gone through this experience, got any suggestions or advice on what I can do if anything? Is it worth getting it into Nikon for repair as it obviously won't be until tomorrow? If so, where in Brisbane do I take it? And what about the lens? Again, is it worth getting it looked at and where would I take it?

I'm presuming that I now have a very expensive paper weight. I think i need to lie down as I feel sick in the stomach. Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
    E
    Last edited by Epoc; 17-06-2012 at 8:48am.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bugger.......I have a feeling salt and electronics dont mix.......but I am sure someone more experienced will chime in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of people putting drenched electronics into a bag of dry rice for a few days and having some success..you did the right thing though with washing the lot of with fresh water....also dont try and turn it on too soon..let it dry out first
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 17-06-2012 at 9:04am.
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    salt water pretty much means DEAD. .sorry. Fresh water you can get away with..if you are lucky.

Take out all batteries, including the internal one.
    Never turn on a salt water soaked camera, the electrics will fry
    dump it in a bucket of fresh water
    take out out, and dry as much as possible
    then put the entire camera in a bucket of uncooked rice and leave it there for a few days

But chances are, even if it works when it comes out of the rice, over time, the components will corrode and it will die.

Insurance claim is the best option
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The salt water may not have penetrated into the camera so drenching it in a bucket of fresh water may make matters worse.

It sounds like you've already done all you can now. Wait for it to dry and test it.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    art installation in your back yard

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. Not sure how to remove the internal battery. Water has definitely got inside as I can see it in the LCD and viewfinder. So I washed and dried it again. Pretty sure it's cactus though as I could here a sizzling noise coming from inside the body. I'd say it was the salt reacting with something.

I might try the rice thing with the lens though as it may be salvageable.

Will ring my insurance company tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
    E
    Last edited by Epoc; 17-06-2012 at 1:57pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commiserations, I can imagine how gutted you feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have re washed with fresh clean water (demineralised is best) do the in bag with rice option for a few days in an area that wont get it condensating inside the bag. Once thats done, put it in the oven (yes, the oven) on the lowest temperature you can get it to (less than 80ÂșC) for 10ish minutes.

This will dry out anything remaining that could take weeks to dry internally. Ive not done this with camera bodies before, only computer circuit boards drenched in water.

Unfortunately as the camera was most likely on at the time, i htink your chances will be fairly low of salvaging the camera even if it does turn on initially.

(disclaimer, i have not done that method above to camera gear and do not know what outcome could eventuate to any rubber / plastic gear on the body etc, beware and think about it before trying)