User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Kookie and Spider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kookie and Spider

On Thursday I had to go to Manly Vale so I decided to take my camera and pay a visit to Manly Dam to get some bird shots while I was there.

I was standing on a footpath just on the edge of a native Garden which had been covered with Bark mulch taking a couple of shots when suddenly "Whoosh" a kookaburra hit the ground beside my feet, took off and landed again about 20 feet away from me. I grabbed a quick shot (please excuse the quality) of the Kookie because he had something in his mouth and merrily went on my way.

When I got home I loaded my shots on my computer and got one hell of a shock when I looked at the Kookie shot and saw what was in his beak.

" THANK GOD FOR KOOKIES"

For those that don't live on the East Coast in NSW the Kookie got a deadly Funnel Web Spider which could easily have bitten me.

Kookie with his lunch
    DSC_2439v1.jpg
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Close call Greg - as you say thank goodness for our Kookies. Glad that we still have you around for our meets.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa! Your Kookie in shining armour!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Guardian Kookie and a lucky day for you
    I grew up on Sydneys north side with funnel webs aplenty,
    We used to fish them out of the swimming pool and store them in jars on top of the fridge to be shipped off to Macquairie Uni for milking to make anti venom ....
    Very scary spider
    Cargo

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Narelle,
    Thanks and we must get together for a shoot soon.

Ms Monny,
    I have always liked Kookies, now I like them even more.

Cargo,
    I live in Davidson (just behind Frenchs Forest) and we average about 2 Funnel Webs in our pool skimmer box each year. I will never get used to having them around.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on holidays for three weeks Greg starting Monday, 25 June so maybe we can catch up sometime then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Greg,
    I grew up in North Epping just across the valley from you, as kids we used play in the bush and sometimes walk over to Frenchs Forest and St Ives .....
    Its been "30 yrs" since I've been round that area .... Must be pretty different now, though still beautiful I hope even with those awesome spiders
    Cargo

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cargo,
    I still walk down to the Cascades quite often chasing water flow and bird shots. The area is still beautiful but I keep an eye out for spiders and snakes all the time I'm in the bush.