User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: My canon eos 400d not working HELP PLEASE!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My canon eos 400d not working HELP PLEASE!!

Hi everyone! I have an issue with my camera and am wondering if someone can please help. What happens is after I've taken around 10 photos the time delay it has on the next photo I take is about 1 min instead of about 2 seconds. It happens with all the consective shoots after the first 10 so means I'm missing some good shots because the time delay means I can shoot my camera. I have formatted the CF card and has not seemed to help. I never keep photos on the CF I get them on the computer straight away as I only have a 1gb card! As I'm not dreading upgrading too much as I held the 60d to day with the 18-200 lens and fell instantly in love I'm hoping I may be able to get some money back on the 400d to go towards the 60d!
    Thanks everyone and I hope I didn't make ppl confused!!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds very much like the "problem" lies in the speed that the camera can write the images to the card.
    If you are capturing large file size images in "burst" mode and the CF card is a "slow" write speed card the bottleneck occurs and the camera cannot fit any more information into the pipeline until the excess information has been recorded to the card.

What speed card are you using?

Updated.

I had a look at the specifications for the body and it appears that it was limited to 10 RAW files or 27 JPEG in a burst before it slowed down so between the limitations of it being able to handle a large volume of files and possibly a "slow" card the behaviour appears pretty normal.

Be aware that the 60D that you are considering is probably due for replacement in the model line up and has marginally better (16) RAW image burst capacity but around double (58) JPEG images.
    Last edited by I @ M; 15-06-2012 at 4:53pm.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no expert, but I agree it sounds like an issue with the CF card. Have you formatted the card in the camera?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep. you are filling the memory buffer, and thus the write speed to the card slows, and so does the ability to take more photos.

If you are using burst mode like this, often, then look at altering your photography technique. Other than fast action at sport photography, there is basically no reason to be shooting this fast, for any other genre. If you are doing it this way, it is often referred to as 'spray and pray'..ie hold down the shutter, take heaps of shots and hope one or two are worth keeping.

It is not a good way to improve your photography. Learn how to use your camera, how to time your shots and slow down. You will get many more keepers with good skill, than press n pray.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies! I totally agree its the card it's on a 1gb so I'm looking at trying a 2 gb in it and hoping that helps a bit. Rick I think you are totally right I really do need to learn to time my shots better and not just keep shooting hoping a get a good one. I'm going through the new to photography site on here and that has been great so far. I've also just purchased a 18-200mm canon efs lens so hoping I'll be able to do more close up work with that. Hopefully I'm getting on the right track and have decided to hang onto my 400d while I'm still learing and wait for the model up from the 60d to come out.
    Thanks again everyone I really do appricate the help and advice

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2boys View Post
    I totally agree its the card it's on a 1gb so I'm looking at trying a 2 gb in it and hoping that helps a bit.
    Not the way to solve the issue.

Firstly, your camera is limited by its own hardware whereby it can't write the info any quicker to pass on to the card and then it doesn't matter if the card is a 1gb, 2gb or 64gb if it doesn't have a fast enough write speed.

You can buy cards with a 30 megabyte, 60 megabyte or 90 megabyte per second transfer speeds and the bigger the number the faster it can accept data.

Between the two factors of the camera and the card is where the problem lies. You can put a fast card in your camera but still not exploit all the speed because the camera is not quite up to the job and conversely you can put a slow card in a newer faster model and still have lock ups.

The two solutions to get away from what you are experiencing are to put a fast card in a new camera or to stick to the best one as Rick said, slow down and concentrate more on each shot.
    Last edited by I @ M; 15-06-2012 at 7:08pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you I @ M I think I understand now! I obviously thought the card would make a difference but I think the main thing I need to work on is my technique which is defiantley going to be my priority! thank you so much as I thought there was a problem with my camera I'm glad to know that it is just my inexperience and something that I can fix with practice, patience and time!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies! I totally agree its the card it's on a 1gb so I'm looking at trying a 2 gb in it and hoping that helps a bit.
    It won't help. It is not the card. It is the memory buffer INSIDE your camera. The number of photos you can shoot in burst mode is based on the design of your camera. It wont make any difference if you have a 1gb,2gb, or 64gb memory card.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so I'm better off trying to be patient and wait for that one or two good shots rather than constantly shooting "hoping" I catch it? I may get a 2g card anyway just so I can take more photos before having to put them on the computer.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing that can cause some problems is the battery, I have a 400D and a few things play up when I use the genuine battery (I have 3 aftermarket batteries as well,) all are around the same age and usage. Although I have not tried it in burst mode. With the genuine battery the shutter locks up when using my OS sigma lenses and I have to remove the battery to reset it. this doesn’t happen with any of my non OS lenses so it looks like the power output from the battery is low and not enough to operate the camera properly, it works fine with any of the other batteries in. This is the same with the battery grip on with 2 batteries in, if one is the genuine battery the problem still occurs.
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok so I'm better off trying to be patient and wait for that one or two good shots rather than constantly shooting "hoping" I catch it? I may get a 2g card anyway just so I can take more photos before having to put them on the computer.
    not hoping to catch it,the more experience you get, you will learn how to anticipate a moment, predict it. just by watching, you will start to be able to see when something is about to happen and be ready for it. as a photographer, we tend to see the world in different way to other people, so the more experience you get the more this will be so for you too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem with my 400. The camera tho good is limited in how many photos it can process at a time.
    Use a larger card to be able to get more shots on it but time what you are going to shoot a bit better. For instance instead of statring your shoot on a race car when it is still on the straight, wait till it starts to turn into a corner. It takes practice and a whole heap of patience to get it right,,,thats why i'm still not good at it...lol. But the rewards can be great when you do get that one shot you really wanted.

rick.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps if you checked your camera to make sure you had the latest firmware updates from Canon as well?
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX