Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  68
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: ABC tv show :PHOTO FINISH: discussion thread

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My better half is away all week, so I thought I'd be able to watch tonight, instead of the repeat on Friday.
    Just checked the TV guide to see what time it's on, and it isn't!!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    My better half is away all week, so I thought I'd be able to watch tonight, instead of the repeat on Friday.
    Just checked the TV guide to see what time it's on, and it isn't!!
    Me too?????
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On the webpage for the site : http://www.abc.net.au/tv/photofinish/ it says the next episode is 2nd August.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing that it will skip a week when last weeks episode finished. Don't know why....it's not like the Olympics are affecting it. Wonder what is on instead?? Will find out in 5 mins!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skipped just because Aunty can.
    See my work on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I agree. I am wondering if this series is being shot as we get to see it. When they did the Mt Wellington episode, it made me realise it was either shot in the few days before going to air, or last year, cause we had only just had the first snow of the season on our mountain.

I am now swaying towards only very recently being shot, and that the producers are looking at the online feedback and slowly adjusting the shows 'model' to take on board comments online.
    The series was filmed well ahead of airing, so the production team are probably reacting to their own impressions of how the series comes across.

Until the last couple of episodes, I was convinced that the standard format for the show was:

1. Bumbling mum - who fumbles with unfamiliar equipment only to eventually come up with something that deserved to win but didn't.
    2. Know it all bloke - who's familiar with all kinds of photography, says he knows his way around the gear only to produce crap and blame lack of time / the equipment
    3. Trendy Art Student - someone with a clear advantage of understanding colour and composition who produces something either successful or too "arty" for traditional photographers to understand, but wins anyway.

[I actually know the mum, Nic Wells, from the first episode, and she'd be the first to admit that she was working with completely unfamiliar equipment (how many of us do know how to drive a 'blad?), and had limited knowledge of lighting.]

The latest episode, Mobile Photography, was a disappointment in terms of street photography. I'm firmly in the candid camp when it comes to street photography and asking the subject for permission prior to taking the shot didn't sit well for me.

The shot of the guy in the cross was great as a portrait (but underexposed) but didn't speak of Kings Cross to me. [Realistically, you're not going to capture the essence of the cross by shooting it in on a midweek morning.]
    Dude on the bike was ok, but too posed and had nothing to do with Pitt Street.
    The lion image missed the brief by miles.

Next week's episode, Performance, should be interesting. Theatre photography isn't something I have any experience of, but that won't stop me having opinions

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannot find a poll on last nights episode. I think it had the best 3 photographers of the whole show, and they all produced quite acceptable results.
    Am I right that Nikon did not appear in any episode. Last night definitely Canon, though I cannot be sure which model or lenses.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All DSLRs were Canon. Midway through the series they covered up the Canon logo with tape or black marker.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The body's appeared to be 5D's and the lenses a 24-70 F2-8 L and a 70-200 F2.8L is. I agree the best yet (I hadn't intended to watch but there was nothing else on) INHMO the wrong shot won again, I preferred the one with the actors on the floor for the pure emotion it captured.
    Keith.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    The body's appeared to be 5D's and the lenses a 24-70 F2-8 L and a 70-200 F2.8L is. I agree the best yet (I hadn't intended to watch but there was nothing else on) INHMO the wrong shot won again, I preferred the one with the actors on the floor for the pure emotion it captured.
    Keith.
    Thanks for confirming what I thought about the camera being a 5D, and I knew they were both L lenses just could not work out what the first one was. I agree that they again chose the wrong shot. I too thought that the Elor Dishi shot should have won.
    Sifor, I had not realised that they had covered up the canon logo. Someone not happy about the promotion of the brand on ABC.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am hoping to get a poll up on last night's episode, sometime later today. I have had a day of helping out for a friend who has been diagnosed with a serious medical issue that is going to affect her ability to be a fully functional part of her family for a while. But if someone else wants to do it, feel free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have they covered the logo on any of the other cameras? I came in so late on last night's episode, that I didn't watch it closely, just did other things and will watch it tomorrow on iview.
    Bit a bit hypocritical if they covered up canon logo but haven't covered others up.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They certainly had blacked out the brand on the cameras used in the program last night. But one lens had a red ring and the other lens was white.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My guess is they have put the hard words on the camera companies for some 'sponsorship' and product placement. If the company says no, then they black out the branding.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't Aunty have commercial limitations?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Doesn't Aunty have commercial limitations?
    It seems that when products / brands / companies are named on their radio network there is a verbal slap on the wrist aimed at those who utter the words but I seem to recall one of the few episodes of photo finish that I watched they were quite happy to name Hasselblad a few times -------
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My TV guide says that was the final episode. I've commented previously that I can't figure out who the target audience is. Now, if it was the last episode, I can't figure out what the point of it all was! There may have been more, but it got the axe.
    At least my weekly TV viewing time will reduce from 30 minutes to nil.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I am hoping to get a poll up on last night's episode, sometime later today. I have had a day of helping out for a friend who has been diagnosed with a serious medical issue that is going to affect her ability to be a fully functional part of her family for a while. But if someone else wants to do it, feel free.
    I should have said earlier, they must be encouraged by your support and I hope your friend recovers and all gets well for her and her family.

- - - Updated - - -

Aunty does have limits, but they seem to me to often have double standards, They frequently promote shows and entertainers, even giving away tickets, and they have no problem putting on the ARL, and Cricket which we all know are fully commercial operations. I am sure I have seen the apple logo on computers shown on programs on the ABC. Of course the Gruen show is all about advertising and they have no problem showing ads on there.
    They seem to be trying to tread a line and frequently falling off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    It seems that when products / brands / companies are named on their radio network there is a verbal slap on the wrist aimed at those who utter the words but I seem to recall one of the few episodes of photo finish that I watched they were quite happy to name Hasselblad a few times -------
    They certainly did name Hasselblad.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678