Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ABC tv show :PHOTO FINISH: discussion thread

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I have had a suggestion that each week, we have a poll on AP as to which photo we think should have won. Does this interest you?
    This really interests me Rick. I think its really cool that the ABC is running a photography program and I think that the members of AP can have a lot of fun with this and at the same time we can learn by adding our critiques to the judges on the show critiques and by reading other members critiques of the contestants photos each week.......it's a pretty unique opportunity.

I honestly feel really excited about this ABC show, ok it's not perfect, but what is? I reckon it's just fantastic to see a show like this on TV, it's a subject that we are all passionate about. I watched the show with my wife who is starting to get more interested in photography and some friends who are not into photography and they enjoyed it as much as I did and it was interesting hearing their feedback whilst watching the show.

My vote (and my wife and friends I watched the show with) was the portrait of Vince.

I would have liked Vince to have not had the prop and just maybe holding his hand pointed out.

The shot of Christa, there was a better one taken when Christa was looking up in the mirror at the photography. I thought that one was more engaging and I would have entered that one.

The shot of Dick, well that was just lost IM0....it didn't show an Aussie icon, to me just an aging bloke standing. It was such a lost opportunity for that photographer.

Anyway, if you could somehow organise a poll each week. I think it would be pretty cool and add another dimension of enjoyment of the show for AP members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm being a little slow but when looking at the show's website it looks like there will be different photogs every week.
    I'm not sure which I would prefer, seeing different people every week or seeing 3 photogs develop and be challenged by different genres every week.
    See my work on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lantern, no you are not slow - there will be different photographers each week. I even saw in the ads that they will use an phone camera.....now that will be interesting! Can't wait to see the discussion on that one.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the show worth it?

I'm going to watch it on iView tomorrow.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to AP, and hope you get involved iluv2shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by iluv2shoot View Post
    Is the show worth it?

I'm going to watch it on iView tomorrow.
    After you watch it, you can tell us if you think it's worth it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the show. Actually wish it was for an hour so we could see more of what happens. I would like to see more time spent on the contestants deciding which shot to choose. I am curious to see what they took, warts and all and the processes they went through to make a decision. I vaguely remember some mention by the judges that the photos displayed were not post processed. Am I right? If so they are pretty good amateurs. My vote was with the photo of Vince. It was so warm and showed a gentle side not often seen. Does anyone know who is the mentor is for this weeks show on landscapes? Wondering if it is Ken Duncan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez I don't envy the the contestants today, that looks cold wet and miserable.

- - - Updated - - -

My vote is the spiky bush in the snow shot
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you voted right Ezookiel. ( I also agree - it would have been my choice.)

I can't help feeling that the show is incomplete in some way - sort of like I missed the introductory episodes, or I just channel-surfed into the middle. (There have been only two episodes, each 30 min long, right?)

Regards,
    Rob
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, it does seem to be missing something. Kind of like someone made a "Reader's Digest Condensed" version, and cut too much out or something. Not sure I can put my finger on what it's missing, but I didn't see last week's show, so only have tonight's to go by. I'll go look at last week's on iView some time soon so I can compare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should read this before you enter any competition they may promote

14. By submitting your entry to the promoter, you grant the promoter and its licensees and assignees a non-exclusive licence to exercise all rights in your entry, including without limitation, the right to reproduce and communicate your entry to the public in whole or in part, in perpetuity and throughout the world in any media.
    Thanks Steve
    Winer of the sheep week 2 + 6
    www.atkimages.com.au "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," ROBERT CAPA"
    Tokina 16-28 f2.8 PRO FX,Sigma 500 4.5 Ex DG, Canon 5D Mii, Canon 7D, Canon 2x converter,Canon 70-200 2.8 L,
    Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon 580 ex 2 speed light
    And two canon kit Lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a stunning environment......talk about all 4 seasons in one day !!

My fav pic was Margy's (?sp) taken on the top of the mountain, with the jagged rocks and alien vegetation in front of the fog.
    I liked the "rainforest" photo, it was really tranquil, but it just didn't scream out at me.
    The macro type photo of the plants enveloped in ice was really beautiful too, but just isn't what I visualise when I think of a "landscape" scene, but thats just my humble uneducated opinion.

I'm just amazed how well these contestants (photographers) cope with the unfamiliar situations & GEAR put in front of them.......hats off to them
    Next weeks show would be my worst fear.....being responsible for a couples wedding photography
    I choose to capture my images with bodies
    I share my love using Canon & Sigma
    ** SUE **

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy crap!
    Is that what next week's is? I missed that bit. Ouch. Don't envy them.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Missed it, will watch it on iView tomorrow and post my thoughts then.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

“He who thinks little, errs much…” L.DV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an amateur what did I learn from tonight's episode

Having visited the top of Mt.Wellington at approx the same time of year and in the same conditions 4 years ago I was excited to see what they would come up with and a little disappointed with the results, they could have made good use of the scenery in combination with the view to create an extra special landscape which was the task they were given.

Here is one I took with my point and shoot at that time and sadly no view also.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I can seriously see each of you as professional photographers"

Seriously? After one session on Mt Wellington with a borrowed 5D MkII and one or two lenses?

I agree that the winning photo was the best for the brief. I also think the ice-encrusted plant shot was terrific but not typical of the genre and not meeting the brief. Milky waterfall? Meh! You are on Mt Wellington, man! DO something that shows that, not something that could be any gully with water, ferns and rocks.

*sigh* What did we learn from this episode, folks?
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watching it now. The Myrtle Gully walk is one of my fave places. It is about a 15 minute walk from my place.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Click View Post
    Here is one I took with my point and shoot at that time and sadly no view also.

What it DOES have is great "depth"; with the layers of blue hills mirroring the cloud at the cliff face and the lumpy rocks in the foreground. I, too, was disappointed yet again with the results of this challenge. It seems the producers are still setting their victims up for failure in the hope of a few tears or a total train wreck.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post

I can't help feeling that the show is incomplete in some way - ......
    I'll watch tonight's episode in the morning (repeated on ABC1 at 11:00), though based on the first episode Rob, it may seem incomplete because it's not aimed at photographers. As photographers we may want more than the program is prepared to offer.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly missed this episode....watching The Block and I said I have to watch the photography show tomorrow....hubby reminded me that today was Thursday. Nearly had a heart failure as I jump up to change the channel, thinking I had missed the whole lot. Yes, I know I can view online etc etc!!

There is something missing from the show and I think it is the educational part. We see them taking the pics, a very brief interlude with the main photographer person and the amateur and then, bam, we are looking at the one they picked....a quick look from everyone and the show is over.

But as Mark said, it is not aimed at photographers.....but who is it aimed at then? I know my hubby, who isn't a photographer, wouldn't watch it if I wasn't around!

Mt Wellington looks like one amazing place to visit. Certainly was 4 seasons in one day! Regarding the images.....I too liked the alien bush one out of all of them as this portrayed the area better (the waterfall was beautiful but it could have been anywhere). Considering this woman had no skills whatsoever with DSLRs or even SLRs, she did okay. Maybe that is what is missing...I am not thrilled watching someone struggle with their equipment and find it tedious to watch someone not even hold the camera the right way (one hand!! ). Would I prefer the amateurs to know the equipment and then spend more time talking about what they are photographing and why (like the other guy and girl did)? Even last week, watching someone look at a light in the studio and umm and ahhh about it doesn't make me engage with the show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really wasn't a good watch.

Most things the hosts say seems forced and they really don't seem to be "in to it" very much
    The amount of times "bands and girls" was said was just plain annoying
    Hearing the older woman say she didn't know how to look at the pictures she took was just painful
    not sure how that shot of a plant could in anyway be seen as "land scape"
    Telling them they can all become professional photographers just makes me think plenty more submissions to http://youarenotaphotographer.com/

As many have said in this thread having some what of an interest and knowledge in photography our expectations of a photography show are different and as a result let down. Shows such as master chef and the block cater for enthusiasts cooks/renovators than this one does for photographers.

- - - Updated - - -

also the guys tattoo was woeful.
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast