Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  68
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ABC tv show :PHOTO FINISH: discussion thread

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been away for a couple of weeks, I hadn't realised that last night's was the first episode. If that was the case, there seemed to be very little explanation of what was happening, and the host drove me mad. Some more info. about the set up - cameras etc. would have been good - The whole thing looked like a cheap quick copy of the series that ran some time ago on the ABC where Rolf Harris had 3 artists each paint a portrait of a well known character and then the subject chose his/her favourite - but that was a much more elaborate and undoubtedly expensive series.
    "Also I'd have liked to see the pro do his own take on the three subjects - how would he shoot them." Brilliant idea Matt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Master Chef for photographers.

I would have preferred to have watched a more informative/instructional program where I learn something, rather than a pressure competition where often not the best decisions are made, or results produced.
    Nikon D90, 18-200VR II, Tokina 100mm Macro, Sigma 150-500, Nikkor 35mm, Giotto Rocket Air Blower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with you Brownie, I am not a portrait photographer; but I think the winner was far too busy, just a photo of a reflection, not a real portrait.
    The photo of Dick Smith, well could have been anybody,

I thought Vince was the best; but could have had some more light on his face and less on the carousel.

Just my opinion.

Ross.
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at 17:40

Gary said: "If your mind caught up with equipments, you will lost contact with Dick!"

Sounds like the threatening words coming out from my wife when I have mentioned my intention of purchasing new equipments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with those above the shot of Christa from above looking at the camera was the clear winner (for me).

I think what the show did illustrate was having a good technical understanding of your equipment helps you spend more time on developing your ideas than freaking out with the equipment. I was somewhat surprised they appeared not to have had much in the way of tutorial on the lights. Even though none of them appeared to have used 'blad's in the past, enough knowledge can be easily transferred from 35 to medium format without the amount of angst demonstrated last night. Imagine having to be tauught how to use your cmaera by the subject! That would go down well at a wedding.
    I expect the show will fall into it's own groove as it proceeds, like all do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the show interesting but not overly engaging......I would have thought a better format would be along similar lines to master chef where the relevant expert does a short "master class" or instructional demonstration so the contestants at least walk away with some knowledge to better attempt the challenge, they are there to learn after all.
    I think throwing them in at the deep end then letting us watch them stress out about a lack of familiarity with gear was a bit counter productive.
    Will watch it a few more times before I completely write it off though.
    Canon 7D, Canon EF 24-105mm f4L, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
    Manfrotto 190XPROB + Vanguard Ball Head + Kenova fluid pan head
    Kirk Enterprises Low Pod + Manfrotto 410 Geared Head + Velbon Super Mag Slider
    GoPro Hero2
    Bags, Cases and lots of other bibs and bobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Matt, it would have been great to have the pro do a shoot with each subject and also an explanation of the various studio lights. This would work quite well as an hour long show with some instructional content.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was very unfair on the contestants to throw them gear they were unfamiliar with and expect them to adapt to that as well as the pressure of a shoot with a celebrity in a limited time. It would have been better had they had an option on gear to use, even their own!

Less attempts at making it difficult for them and more on allowing their creative side would have made for a more authentic show in my opinion.

I also think it would have been good to see the pro spend a couple of minutes with each subject, that would add to the informative side of the show.

I'll watch it again, but not sure it will last with the current format as I think it'll get old quick.
    Last edited by etherial; 15-06-2012 at 9:20pm.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Think the contestants could have been asked to chose 6 or 8 of their photos, then the judges should pick the best from each and they become the final 3 to pick from (or something like that).
    Photography wise, I didn't find it very interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 6 months on AP I reckon I know more than at least 2 of the contestants. I wanted to have a go! Lol

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed it but watched it here........http://www.abc.net.au/tv/photofinish/...........a bit lightweight.....and the video? jumps a round a fair bit in sections......but it looks like fun!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had a suggestion that each week, we have a poll on AP as to which photo we think should have won. Does this interest you?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea Rick. What happens if it wasn't one of the ones they chose, like this week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of them took Gary Heery's advice to heart: KISS.

All of them fussed around with equipment and styling at the expense of working with the subject to create a meaningful portrait.

The winning shot probably said more about the subject than the others, so I can see why the judges gave it the nod, despite it probably not technically being the best image.

Those subjects should have been relatively easy. A natural communicator (Dick) and two professional performers. Couldn't really ask for better characters to work with.
    Last edited by Dan Cripps; 16-06-2012 at 1:34pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the show was great - cringe worthy in places too - but I think a show that gets more interest up in photography is fantastic !
    I thought Vince should have won, but the crop of that shot as displayed during the show was better than the full frame.
    I agree with everyone though the eye contact version of the winning entry was better but I still liked Vince's crop over that one.
    Sorry but the guy shooting DS was way off.

This might be a great time to see how we can get on board !
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I have had a suggestion that each week, we have a poll on AP as to which photo we think should have won. Does this interest you?
    There's been 35 post here so far, so why not.
    For those like I, that have someone else in the house that has the T.V. reserved on Thursday evenings, the show is repeated on ABC1 on Friday morning, 11:00.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norwest View Post
    ...... not what i expected from the ABC.

It seemed to be a cross between Master Loser and Race Around the Survivor .. or something(not that I've ever spent more than 5 mins with any of those shows!!

The only thing(s) missing from this show were .... food, tears from the contestants, a grumpy old narcissistic celebrity judge, a few tantrums ...... etc, etc.

Thursday 8:00 PM for me/us is Catalyst time! Kids and I love it, and now it's gone .. replaced with Race Around the Surviving Master Loser.

I gave the show a barely watchable rating. That is, nothing else is on at that time and we sit and watch something .. anything!.. and chat about it.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha you cracked me up Arthur.......I work with a lassy who wanted to give me blow by blow descriptions of A day in the life of Lara Bingle ( or whatever it was called ).....She thought it was wonderful TV.........

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, dear. What a let down! I just LOVE portraiture as a genre and was expecting so much more in the circumstances. I would KILL to have an opportunity to shoot any one of those subjects with my D7000. The H2 would have been fun to try but would only get in the way of creating a great portrait if I hadn't had it for ages to get to know it better. Studio lighting was just an embarrassment of riches for people who had no idea what to do with it.

#1 - the winner's shot was at least something of a reflection of the subject (pun intended) but far too much context and not enough subject IMHO
    #2 - the actor's shot was just crap. He was too focussed on himself and not enough on his subject to get anywhere near the real Dick Smith.
    #3 - the SAHM's shot was technically the best result but still didn't make the connection. We'd heard why the carousel was important but if you can't convey that with the image alone then it won't work to portray something of the subject. Good portraits should stand alone; narrative aside.

Like most reality TV, the producers have deliberately aimed for a train wreck; they clearly wanted tears, drama and morbid fascination with the bloody corpses of their victims. Auntie ABC has taken the wrong leaf out of the Masterchef book and instead concocted an ugly and unappetising dessert for those with no taste IMHO.
    Last edited by WhoDo; 17-06-2012 at 11:57am. Reason: speeling
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the Rolf Harris show with the three artists! I actually got a lot out of that show...more than this one. There is a show on the day time that involves 3 artists that go outn location and have to paint the landscape. It feels like it goes on forever, and the main artist goes around giving critique, and not nice ones sometimes! They could take a leaf out of that one!

After reading all views I can agree wholeheartedly. After the show I felt deflated, wanting more but knowing there isn't any. Yep, they could have gone about it a totally different way. Unfort if it continues like this, then it will be sent to the bin.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast