User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Tips for Photo of the Week "Pets/Domestic/Zoo : Taking a better photo

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tips for Photo of the Week "Pets/Domestic/Zoo : Taking a better photo

With the beginning of our Genre themed Photo of the Week Competition series, we want to also help those with less experience in photographing this genre.

Therefore this thread is for members to post tips and advice for photographing animals that fit the Pets/Domestic/Zoo category. Members are welcome to post any hint or tip that will assist other members, or ask specific questions about photographing this Genre.

Please note, do not give provide any information about your entry. These competitions are anonymous and any post that gives away details of the member's entry, could see your entry disqualified.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, First tip

FOCUS on the eyes of your subject. Eyes that are in focus are a major key to successful animal portraiture.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tip two: Keep your SHUTTER SPEED up. Animals like to move when you least expect it and you'll need to be able to freeze that with a high value; say 1/focal length of your lens x 2. For example, a 135mm focal length lens would require a shutter speed of around 1/270 for clarity. Personally, I prefer to be up in the 4 figure range for shutter speed with anything that moves, but that's me.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tip 3 - especially for zoo work, try and find locations and view points that don't include enclosure fencing, cage bars, and so on. Zoos try their hardest to provide a nice natural environment for the animals, giving us a great opportunity to get photos that can look almost as if the animal is in the wild rather than a zoo. Photos taken through wire mesh, for example, are a big giveaway (especially when that mesh is then brightly lit by a flash!) Try to keep anything man-made out of the frame.
    Good luck
    Grum

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get down to your Pets level dont shoot standing up..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patience.
    You'll often have to wait around until they are doing something interesting, or strike a good pose for you.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    noises to get their attention work wonders.. a set of car keys, or a chip packet in your pocket will have them looking right at you.
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.