Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Getting back in to 35mm

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting back in to 35mm

As some of you will know I sold my Canon gear to finance Hasselblad med format stuff. As I am having a total rethink, have sold some stuff and rearranged soem finances and I now have bought and coming:

Canon 1DsMkII - like new and with a brand new shutter - I have the documentation. Picked it up yesterday and it has a Kirk L bracket too.
    Sigma 150-500 - I just found a good new one with damaged box on the web, should be here tomorrow or Monday. I've heard and seen a lot of good stuff about this lens so am going to give it a go.
    Mamiya 645DF with 35mm, 80mm & 105-210 lenses on it's way from Hong Kong - bought from the Luminous Landscapes forum.
    I am tossing up between two backs for this, have to make a decision soon as I can't use it until I get one.

So I will be shooting and posting a bit more soon.

Edited to conform with forum policy. Please reread the site rules.
    Last edited by I @ M; 14-06-2012 at 9:20am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to seeing how you go and what you post with all this new gear Odille..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you've seen the light? Welcome to medium format.
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So have you sold the H2 Odille, or is the new stuff additional? If sold, I was curious as to why it didn't work for you...

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will almost be like starting over. "New broom sweeps cleaner" type thing. I hate it when the mods edit posts. I feel I only get half the story.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    It will almost be like starting over. "New broom sweeps cleaner" type thing. I hate it when the mods edit posts. I feel I only get half the story.
    We only edit things that breach the site rules. We have not changed the intention of the post at all.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    So have you sold the H2 Odille, or is the new stuff additional? If sold, I was curious as to why it didn't work for you...
    Cheers.
    Phil
    My main reason for changing to the mamiya system is Hasselblad's progress to complete camera systems. You have to replace the whole thing - you can't just pop on another back. To me it is a retrograde step.

The edited part was about my intentions for the H series gear which I still have.

And it arrived today - the guy posted it from HK on Monday and here it is. No customs, no (whisper) GST incurred. How lucky is that. I have gone with a Leaf DM22. It has not arrived yet but I only paid for it yesterday Coming from the US so I may have to pay GST on it. All up, the body, 3 lenses and back have ended up about the same as the original H2, 80mm & P20 back.

And the Sigma lens, which I paid for yesterday, arrived today from melbourne. Outstanding service! So I have the Canon 1DsMkII, 50mm f1.8 (bought tioday for $98), the big beast, a new bag and a few odds and sods. We are off to Brunswick Heads for the weekend so I'll be testing everything out.

Off to goggle at my 645DF now Stan, it's not out of the box yet!

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all sounds jolly expensive.

Congrats on the new purchases, hope you get some terrific photos with them.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the upgrades, I was considering going for a Hasselblad/Mamiya in recent weeks prior to purchasing the 5DMKIII.

I understand that Sigma sell more lenses annually than any other manufacturer and for good reason too as they are very good. I have several and would fully back them for a non-professional.

Can I ask why you would fork out so much for some excellent pro-bodies and also purchase the Sigma 150-500?
    Last edited by I @ M; 18-06-2012 at 5:52pm. Reason: Brought within forum rules.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enduro, as I said I have seen some great results with this lens so I thought I would give it a try. So far I am very happy with it. the test shots I took just for lens length were great, but I forgot my tripod so my Brunswick stuff wasn't much chop.

I bought the pro body Canon because i just like them, they feel good in the hand and have a bit of weight, like the cameras I 'cut my teeth' on. I don't like the small and light stuff, it's just MY personal preference.

I like medium format for the sharpness (no anti aliasing filter) and increased tonal range. Again, a personal preference.