Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abbey Medieval Festival 7-8 July 2012

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abbey Medieval Festival 7-8 July 2012

Anyone planning on going? I have wanted to get t this for a few years now and it looks like this year might be it. Poke lenses up here if you are interested. I was thinking of staying at a local caravan park, if I can get a spot.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...

I went to the festival last year and attended on the Friday night, Saturday and Sunday.

This is the best event I've ever been to. Beats any local show by far.

It's just like walking into a medieval village as some of the spectators also dress up in period costume.

Jousting knights, flying falcon hunting birds, gypsys and knights and soldiers in real armour battling with pointy bits of metal.

http://abbeytournament.com/events-an...al-tournament/

This link will give anyone an idea of what it's about.

Accomodation - I found it difficult in the immediate area one day before, but finally on the Friday night, found a motel in the Redcliffe area just a few km away.

I'm going this year too - just need lots of 16Gb memory cards.
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be heading up on the Saturday
    Last edited by 41jas; 15-06-2012 at 8:53pm.
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is worth the trip Odille, as i went saturday last year and enjoyed myself. would like to go again this year, but as i will be in the area in a couple off weeks later i do not like my chances. in my books for what it is worth, it is worth while going. ian(aka pappa smurf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is it exactly- all I could find on the links was that it is a museum in Brisbane somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabby View Post
    Where is it exactly- all I could find on the links was that it is a museum in Brisbane somewhere.
    Here is a link to the location map.

http://abbeytournament.com/about/where-are-we/

40km north of Brisbane near Caboolture near Bribie Island.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it looks like i am going to make the festival leaving Dalby very early saturday mornning, dropping " The Boss" off at the daughters' at Caboolture and then on to the festival, so hope to catch some of you there. with a bit of luck. ian(aka pappa smurf)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did anyone get to go the Abbey Festival besides me? ian9(aka pappa smurf)

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't make it Ian (AGAIN!). Look forward to seeing your images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made it, for my first time. Very enjoyable, shame there was a bit of rain. Lots of pics to process now...

The only disappointing part (for me) was Carnivale, couldnt see a damn thing, not enough light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bort View Post
    I made it, for my first time. Very enjoyable, shame there was a bit of rain. Lots of pics to process now...

The only disappointing part (for me) was Carnivale, couldnt see a damn thing, not enough light.
    Hi...

Those of you who have been to this event in the past will know about the Abbey event...

I went for the 2 days, couldn't get into the Saturday 12.30pm jousting session, but managed the 2.15pm jousting event.
    I think the first shower of rain was at 12.45pm. Lucky I wasn't sitting in the open seats, I thought. At about 2.30pm, down came the rain again and I was then sitting on the ground near the fence in the rain. (umbrella in the car boot)

Sunday - more driving rain in the very last hour for the finale but I was prepared with an umbrella this time. (for camera and lens of course)

I went, last year, to the night event and had to shoot at 6400 iso with flash as the lighting was not good for digital cameras depending where the action was happening. More lighting shining on the main arena next year please. This was one of the reasons I didn't attend the Carnivale on Saturday night. The other was lack of sleep.

As I went for the two days, and shoot raw and Jpg, I took a laptop and downloaded the memory cards Saturday night.

I found myself switching to Jpg only on Saturday as I thought I would fill my cards too early in the morning but rationed it out on Sunday. Flattened one battery quickly using my internal 7D flash, as fill lighting too often. The battle action is colourful, fast, deadly and high shutter speeds a necessity.

Even with the occasional rainshowers, I'd still promote the Abbey Festival as one of the best events I've ever attended.

As bort said, lots of photos to process sometime soon.

I'm glad I was heading North when I left the Event and had a pretty good run home, and not towards Brisbane after I saw the line of southern lane traffic.

Perhaps attendees could post some their photos in this thread. The Abbey Medieval Festival also has their own Flickr site.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1486759@N23/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found my external drive to be useful, I just need to update the card I use when I'm transferring (its an old 2 gig, not much space, and a bit slow).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flashc View Post
    Even with the occasional rainshowers, I'd still promote the Abbey Festival as one of the best events I've ever attended.
    Definitely agree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres my set from the festival, I'd love to see other peoples

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bort/se...7630497126354/
    Last edited by bort; 10-07-2012 at 12:57pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...

I just received an email from the Abbey for me to do a survey on the festival, so I told them what I thought to improve the event. Better lighting at night in the arena on the action. Better cover for when those rainshowers occur. Fill up the nearest car parks first to save a 2km walk. Last year, there was no extra charge to attend the Saturday night entertainment, so why this year. Here's a couple of pics.

Rain... What Rain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My set, to be added to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/strictf...7630461559574/

I went on the Saturday with a 1-day-old 5D3, and got royally rained on. I trusted the weather sealing. As far as i know, it held up.
    Gear monkey and proud. Brisbane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strictfunctor View Post
    My set, to be added to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/strictf...7630461559574/

I went on the Saturday with a 1-day-old 5D3, and got royally rained on. I trusted the weather sealing. As far as i know, it held up.
    Hi...

I just had a look at your Abbey Photos and some of your rodeo pics - your 5D mk III shots are great. Can't knock your 5D II or 7D shots either. You would have seen my rainy pic on the Sunday at the Abbey, below.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashc View Post
    Hi...

I just had a look at your Abbey Photos and some of your rodeo pics - your 5D mk III shots are great. Can't knock your 5D II or 7D shots either. You would have seen my rainy pic on the Sunday at the Abbey, below.
    Thanks! The getting wet bit, in exchange for some softer light, was a fair trade. So many better shots than last year.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is one of mine. it is of the forest fairy. it is not perect. but it still tells a story. the title is "The Short and Tall of it All" you can not see their faces but you the sense of height. just out curiousity was anyone at the first jousting session. i was down the right hand side as you go through the gate against the fence near the exit. ian(aka pappa smurf)

"The Short and Tall of it All

- - - Updated - - -

could one the mods delete the second image please thank-you . ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do mean the 1230pm session on Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by strictfunctor View Post
    Thanks! The getting wet bit, in exchange for some softer light, was a fair trade. So many better shots than last year.
    The light was good and my photos came out better than I originally thought after looking at some I took at 1/40 sec and 200mm when the sun disappeared off and on. When on AV, I need to force myself to keep a check on the the shutter speed in the viewfinder to see if it drops off when the light dims.

Spent 4 hours yesterday just picking those that make the grade for further processing - went to bed at 4.00am after the little popup message appeared on the top of my Aus Photography screen. They should ban spectators at events and only let photographers in so we don't have to edit out all the heads and arms that get in the way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    just out curiousity was anyone at the first jousting session. i was down the right hand side as you go through the gate against the fence near the exit. ian(aka pappa smurf)
    I was at the 10.45 Saturday joust, close to the same place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast