Quote Originally Posted by Starman View Post
I read somewhere (Australian Photography magazine I think) that it is best to use a USB attached to the camera, not so much for speed but to reduce risk of card failure or that metadata settings are copied.

I might be wrong as the old biological memory needs defragmenting and refreshing.

A USB 3 card reader would definitely be very fast, although I normally do other things while shots are loading e.g. read emails
Cheers
Starman
Unfortunately, where-ever you read it, is wrong. Digital Photography is just that, digital. It is just bits of data. These travel along the circuits and wires of your camera, computer etc. This data either gets transmitted and received, or it doesn't. There is no way that certain selective segments of information are not transferred just cause you plug into the system a different way. If a failure takes place, it isn't selective about which bits of data it succeeds in transferring. It is all just zero's and one's when it comes down to it. The cabling has nothing to do with the speed of the transfer either, it just transports what is given to it, at the speed it is given it. The connections at each end are the important bits when it comes to speed.