User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13

View Poll Results: ACTIVITY STREAM or NEW POSTS?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer NEW POSTS

28 80.00%
  • I use both and don't have a preference of one of the other

6 17.14%
  • I prefer the ACTIVITY STREAM

1 2.86%

Thread: "Activity Stream" Vs " New Posts"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"Activity Stream" Vs " New Posts"

Now that the software upgrade is a few days old and you have had a chance to see how the new Activity Stream works, which do you prefer? Activity Stream or New Posts?

* Activity Stream is accessed by clicking "WHAT'S NEW" on the main menu, clicking "Activity Stream" on the sub-menu, or via your own profile page.

* New Posts is accessed by clicking "AP EXTRAS" or is also on the sub-menu, just right of "Tools"

We would also be interested in hearing why you prefer the one you choose, so please feel free to add comments to this thread.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Fotonut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preferred the new posts

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by beeps; 13-06-2012 at 8:57am.
    Brian
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

Gear : Nikon D3100; Nikkor 18-55 mm, Nikkor 55 - 300mm, Sigma "Bigma" 50 - 500 and a heap of Enthusiasm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/beeps44/
    http://500px.com/beeps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both have its merits.

Activity stream - PROS: allows you to see who is very active and posts many CC's (also a Con - see below)
    Instantly see what is happening in the land of AP and what threads are very popular!!
    You can see what the people replying have said - helps to make your mind up whether to open or not.

CONS: if you are a person who tends to post alot of CC in numerous threads, it shows. This could be discouraging to anyone who does this (I know it has for me). I am not a "showy" person.
    If a thread has 10 replies, you see every single one of those replies and sometimes I have clicked on it, thinking that was the OP, but it was only the person replying. You have to open it up to view who posted.

New Posts - PROS: You see the person who started the thread. It doesn't double, triple, quadruple up on itself with the replies.

CONS: You have to open up the thread to view any of the replies. Might not even be something important or to do with the image, but a bit of chit chat. That is extra time wasted.
    You can't see how many people are very active on the site (even though I don't like to be seen to be very active!! - and, no, I don't have a split-personality!! )

There are probably other pros and cons, but this is what I have found.

So, both are good and bad. I think people will get use to the new way (Activity Stream), just takes time. I am glad you put the side bar on the Activity Stream with the new images posted. Helps to see the new pics without searching or changing over to Forum.

my 2 cents worth.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the new Navigation Manager I can create new TABs or rename them in about 60 seconds.

Remember: Activity Stream shows new Posts, new Social Group messages, new Album Items, new Vistor Messages (and hopefully new Gallery posts in the future).
    So it is more comprehensive, it is also dynamic in that it checks every 60 seconds for new content, goes to sleep if you are not on the tab, and wakes up when you go back to the tab.

New Posts (which is really new posts in threads) has not gone away either...

Last edited by Kym; 13-06-2012 at 9:22am.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely New Posts.

I like to see who the tread starter was, how many views and posts and who the last poster was. It also gives more threads on the page and note just a few popular ones repeated many times.

I have also noticed that the "new posts" option does not come up on the initial main screen. I only get AP extras, My Searches, and tools.

The rest come up after I make a selection and advance to another page.
    Last edited by mpb; 13-06-2012 at 11:02am.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I am just getting old and set in my ways but I prefer the New Posts. I have always browsed the forum this way and I find it easier than the Activity Stream to scroll down and see which threads I want to view.
    Tania
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i prefer gravy...

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    News just in... vBulletin 4.2.1 *may* have an auto updating Activity Stream, wait to hear from their developers on that.
    Last edited by Kym; 13-06-2012 at 11:51am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer new posts as there are more on the page. I can see who started it and when, how active it is by number of posts, I usually read most posts in order and in context. The activity stream shows more detail of that last post but sometimes it doesn't mean much out of context and that is important to me plus I find the screen too busy - I don't need to see the posters avatar for one thing.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpb View Post
    I have also noticed that the "new posts" option does not come up on the initial main screen. I only get AP extras, My Searches, and tools.
    That would be the Home page - New Posts in on AP Extras

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use neither, would much prefer a "New Threads" button, but even then I might not use it, I read scroll through all the new threads on the rss feed and then subscribe to the ones I'm interested in.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither for me, i find it annoying you now have to click on the forums button to get to the normal section.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get "New Posts" by clicking "Whats New">"New Posts". It has everything I need 90% of the time.

I'm afraid I can't figure out any use for the "Activity Stream".

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've re-jigged the menu for those that want a single click new posts.
    Best of both options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When does it start making me a coffee when I first log in?

New Posts for this not so technologically minded person, easier and less to focus on for me anyway.

Just please keep the Forum Button for gods sake..

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please be aware that the AP version of the menu (Navigation Bar) is significantly enhanced from the out of the box offering.

AP Extras, My Searches, Tools are on every tab - which is an AP special that means one or two clicks to any part of the site, then (generally) one more click to specific content.

We try to make it as easy as possible to use the site.

There is also the bottom of page bread-crumb menu which is an add-on as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its (activity stream) a nice feature and really there is no loss of functionality, if you want new posts just click on the link.

A change is as good as a holiday, try it for a while and you may well find yourself liking it more. Makes things similar to various social networks and their 'streams'.
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post

There is also the bottom of page bread-crumb menu which is an add-on as well.
    Thanks for all the work, great job, but - bread-crumbs - "please explain". Does that come with gravy?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpb View Post
    Thanks for all the work, great job, but - bread-crumbs - "please explain". Does that come with gravy?
    If you scroll to the bottom of any thread, under the 'reply to thread' button is a series of links:

Forum : General : Site Matters

You can use these 'breadcrumbs; ( a trail to where you are on the site) to go back to any 'stage'. So you could click "Site Matters' to view the Site Matters forum, or "General" to see all the forums in the General section..etc