User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon Vs Pentax camera file names.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Mr. Felix.
    As suggested you do need to change your workflow. Leaving pictures on the card until it is full will eventually bring you heartache when it comes to that day when you want to take a few more images, but can't because the card is full. Then by the time you delete a couple to make room, that special moment is gone. I have a friend like that, and she can never find the image she wants to show me. Very frustrating....

I take the files of the card after every shoot. I don't even take the card out of the camera. I use the USB cord supplied, create a folder "Location-Date" ie; "Bondi 30-9-12" or "Home-Dog 30-9-12" and then load the files into that.

I'm not as good a photographer as the guys above, and I'm just a hobby guy like yourself. And when it comes to find that image that you took a few months ago, all I have to do is remember where, what and when.

I think you missed a bit of how I do things.

I don't leave the card in the camera until it is full and not take it out.

If I go away, I take photos. I get home and copy the files to the 'puta.

I just wait until the card is full before wiping it.

Yes, my "work flow" or what ever it is called, is similar to what you said. I make a directory and copy the new files into there and process is further if/when needed.

But if it is an 8 gig card and it is 80% full, it is "annoying" having to load all the files, resort them to "date taken" and look for the new ones.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Felix View Post

But if it is an 8 gig card and it is 80% full, it is "annoying" having to load all the files, resort them to "date taken" and look for the new ones.
    This is why you would download them to the relevant destination after every shoot(or event or holiday or whatever)

Each person has their own particular filing system, be that digital or real hard copies of files.

So one version of filing (digital) files would be to file them in date order(my method, and makes most sense to me).

So on the 29th of September 2012, I head out to a small locality called Terrick Terrick, and capture some images.
    I remember the drive, more so than the happenings on the day as individual items, so my filing is such that I prioritise the date and the place name(or event name).

So my filing system is directed to a specific folder dedicated to the year(2012) and then to the camera I used(D300) and then to the date and place name(or event name)

So my files from last weekend end up in a directory structure that looks like this ...

V:/Photos/2012/D300/20120929/(all raw files get placed here)/jpg/(all jpg conversions get placed here).

Without even having to use my DAM software, I remembered that I went to Terrick in 2012, and browse that folder(under D300) to look for the folder called .... 20120929_Terrick Terrick.

The Terrick name stands out, and I instantly see that I was there on the 29th Sep.

Leaving all images on the card until full sounds like a massive head spin to try to organise where each file is from, in terms of place, date, event(such as party, trip, holiday.. etc)

Using all the features of that your PC offers, such as Ctrl-A for selecting all files in a simple click is subsequently lost if you have a mishmash of files from year one, all the way through to eternity.

You spend too much time wasted sorting files that don't need to be sorted at all to begin with, and then sorting them again into respective directories for later easy retrieval!

Double the work with no gain .. and it's no wonder you're finding it a hassle.

Downloading images from the card/camera is a doddle, a walk in the park and taking candy from a baby all in the one foul swoop if you manage yourself correctly!

And to rid your self of excess files on the card, so there is no more work to do in terms of PC based manipulation .. your downloading software should have a setting where it deletes files off the card itself, after transfer to the PC.
    So you shouldn't even have to be bothered with the simple step of clearing out the card once you have the files on your PC!! .. another automated PC process!

AND!!! to further cap an illustrious career as a photoholic, you should even have an option to archive the images that require saving to the PC, onto another folder location, where you backup all your images too.
    So if you have an external USB drive(or other type of backup drive connected to the PC in any manner, this photo transferring software shoudl also have the ability to download the images not only to your favoured directory, but also to your favoured backup directory too .. all automagically so that you can enjoy a quick cuppa(or a snack, or a cold one, or a paddle in the pool if you prefer) .... whilst your files are being downloaded, backed up, and then deleted by your PC.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12